D'Brick - Week 6

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WhiteShoeWillis, Oct 14, 2008.

1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Code:
    1	10	R	Stops 98
    2	7	P	quick screen
    3	3	P	stops 92 - double team
    FUMBLE - defensive TD			
    1	10	R	seals 98
    2	10	R	seals 98
    3	3	P	stops 98
    4	1	P	stops 98
    1	10	P	stops 92 - double team
    1	G	R	seals 92 - draw
    2	G	P	quick pass
    3	G	P	stops 98
    PENALTY - Illegal man down field 65			
    3	G	P	stops 98
    PENALTY - Offensive PI - 83			
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]3	G	P	stops 98 - double team - late stunt from the DT beat him outside as he was blocking 98 inside[/COLOR]
    PENALTY - Illegal contact defense 29			
    [COLOR="Red"]1	10	R	half whiff on 98 - hit him but brushed off him - bad block[/COLOR]
    2	4	P	quick screen
    1	G	P	stops 94
    TD			
    1	10	R	seals 98
    2	6	P	stops 98
    1	10	R	pulls - pancakes 29
    2	8	R	drives 98 6+ yards
    3	7	P	stops 98
    1	10	R	hits LB
    2	8	P	stops 98
    3	7		
    PENALTY - Delay of Game			
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]3	12	P	went outside to pickup blitzer who was picked up by someone else then 29 beat him inside on delayed blitz[/COLOR]
    PUNT			
    End of Quarter			
    1	10	P	stops 92   
    1	10	P	quick screen
    2	8	R	seals 92   
    3	8	P	stops 98
    FG			
    1	10	R	seals 92
    1	10	R	seals 98
    TD			
    1	10	P	screen
    2	14	R	chips someone then hits LB
    3	12	P	quick screen
    PUNT			
    HALF TIME			
    1	10	R	Drives ?? 4-5 yards - double team
    2	4	P	stops 98
    1	10	P	chips ??, then helps outside
    1	10	R	blocks LB
    2	9	P	stops 98
    INT			
    1	10	R	hits 98 - run other way
    [COLOR="Red"]2	4	R	misses chop block[/COLOR]
    3	3	P	knocks 98 over
    FG			
    1	10	P	stops 98
    2	4	P	quick pass
    3	4	P	stops 98
    1	10	P	stops 98
    2	10	R	seals 98
    3	6	P	stops 98
    End of Quarter			
    1	10	R	hits LB
    2	10	P	stops 92 - double team
    3	8	P	stops 98
    1	10	R	seals 98
    2	7	P	screen
    3	7		
    PENALTY - False start 29			
    3	12	P	stops 55
    INT			
    [COLOR="Red"]1	10	R	gets beat by 98[/COLOR]
    2	9	P	stops 98
    3	4	P	screen - blocks 59 downfield
    1	10	P	quick pass
    2	7	R	seals 92
    3	2	R	seals 90
    1	10	R	seals 92
    2	9	P	stops 90 - double team
    3	4	P	blocks 92
    1	G	R	hits 98  
    TD			
    2PT		P	stops 92

Another solid day in pass protection. He did OK run blocking but did get beat a couple of times. The only times (2) he got beat in pass protection was when he was already engaged in a block and a delayed stunt or blitz by another defender got by him. I can't really fault him too much for those but with better awareness and experience he should be able to pick those up.

Past Weeks:
    Week 4
    Week 3
    Week 2

2. JetsLookingforDWare

I was actually looking forward to this. Not his best game this season.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

It wasn't, but it was 5 bad plays total for his worst game of the season... that speaks volumes for D'Bricks progress.

4. WhiteShoeWillis

^
    ^^

In terms of pass protection I thought he did very well. Like I said, the plays where he was beat in pass protection were a delayed blitz and a delayed stunt where he was already engaged in another block.

As far as run blocking - meh. He didn't have a great game in that category.

5. CleanFernandez

CleanFernandez New Member

Nice work, looks like Dbrick is turning out great

6. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Thanks for the analysis as always.

7. Phear

Phear New Member

yeah thanks for that

8. Phear

Phear New Member

i think he's having a solid year so far and i think he will only improve....hopefully his run blocking will come around also.

9. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

things like this=why ganggreen rules

10. Beamen

Beamen New Member

I like that you do this, but I've got to say, your method of evaluating him is way too basic to really get the picture.

It only accounts for the man he engages with. For example- on the Favre strip sack, doubling the inner passrusher when you have a TE one-on-one with an outter passrusher is a mental error. Sure, maybe he 'stopped' 92, but he made a bad read/call at the line before the snap (in pass protection that stuff is almost never called in the huddle) and it cost the team.

I see that a lot of of Brick.

It's not a knock on you- keep doing these reports as often times they're the only readable thing in the NYJ section after a game- but try to take into account missed assignments and the like.

Also, don't discount his blocks just because the run is in the other direction. We've seen more than a handful of times this season a defender slip around his side and made a play in the backfield before the running play has gotten a chance to really develop because he missed an assignment. Either that, or plays where his missed block will result in heavy backside pursuit, which in turn forced Jones/Leon to pick a hole before it really opens up, and limits the productivity of the play.

Just another thing to keep an eye out for.

Otherwise, keep up the good work

11. WhiteShoeWillis

These are good points. Unfortunately I don't know if there is a way for me to know if there was a mental mistake in that situation or not though. On the play you pointed out you can see him pointing at the outside guy making some kind of call and then he went inside like you said. I don't know why he chose the inside guy, but what you say makes sense - why wouldn't he help the TE on the outside instead of the G on the inside?

Should I assume that it's always the right decision to help the TE in that situation? I don't know. Without knowing for sure who he is supposed to block, all I can do is comment on who he did block. Any input is appreciated.

As for the run plays the other way, I only discount the block if his guy has no impact on the play. If the run were the other way and his guy made the play I would note that. Most of the time when I write what happens is he engages, the run goes the other way and his guy slows down and just trails the play with no impact. Sometimes all an o-lineman has to do is slow his man down to get his job done if the play is going the opposite way. I'll try and be more detailed in these situations going forward.

#11 WhiteShoeWillis, Oct 15, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  12. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

I hope you mean cut block.

Besides, great work, as always.

13. WhiteShoeWillis

cut block, chop block - I always used the term interchangeably. Am I incorrect?

He dove at the guys ankles off the snap and missed.

14. Revis Flytrap

Revis Flytrap New Member

Your data can be compared to the stats in the other thread regarding run blocking success. He's at about 80% over the season and your data is at about 90% for this game.

Either he played better than usual, or the other data uses a stricter criteria to measure success.

From your observations over the weeks, do you believe he had a signficantly better game regarding the run than he has been having?

If so, do you believe it was a function of the DL or did you observe greater proficiency in D'Brick?

Thanks.

15. German Jets Fan

A chop block is one of the cheapest techniques in Football, it?s also a 15 yard penalty. Chop block means, that one blocker goes high, while the other goes low. People often mix that up with cut block.

for example:
    [YOUTUBE]http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=53hM_peXUhg[/YOUTUBE]

16. WhiteShoeWillis

The data in that article is focused only on runs to his position if I read it correctly. I actually felt like this was one of his worst performances of the season in terms of his run blocking efforts. In prior games there were a number of instances where he drove his guy back a number of yards on run plays. He did that a couple of times Sunday, but almost seemed uninterested in run blocking a lot of the time.

When I think back, I don't remember them running off tackle or between him and Faneca much at all.

GJF - Thanks for the info.

#16 WhiteShoeWillis, Oct 15, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  17. Chances

Chances New Member

I just noticed the comment regarding Brick getting beat to the outside

In this instance it is the lineman's responsibility is to block the inside rusher when faced let the outside player release free. The idea is that the QB will have a better chance at identifying and reacting to the outside rusher because they have a longer distance to travel to reach the QB.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

It was actually a choice between double teaming with Faneca or Baker. I don't know if they were expecting another blitzer to come inside or something and that's why he chose to go inside. There are too many question marks from an outsider point of view to determine why he made the decision he did and if it was correct.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The cut block can be pretty cheap, too, the Bronco's O-line is famous for taking knees out with it.

20. German Jets Fan

It can get ugly on the Zone blocking, because you get cut from your blindside, but DL get taught, that when the man ahead of them is gone, they gotta be prepered for a blindsidehit. A chopblock is much cheaper, because you can?t defend yourself. Look at the video, Dorsey got no chance.