The Favre Difference

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 1969jets, Oct 12, 2008.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Without Favre's strong arm, Cinci's defense wouldn't have to stay honest, stacks the box and Jones never sniffs the endzone. The 'what if' game is actually pretty to play.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

:rofl::rofl: The comedy on this board. Cincy has the worst run D in the league, they were giving up 170 yds a game on the ground coming into yesterdays matchup.

3. abyzmul

Yes, and they gave up a paltry 86 yards to the Jets on 27 attempts, which is a stunning reminder how weak our running game truly is. Even Cinci's weak run defense could have shut our rushers down by stacking the box. Favre is the majority of our offense.

4. greenwhite&nogold

greenwhite&nogold New Member

LMAO, you are hillarious! You're joking right? I hope your joking, because it's pretty lame to make these comparisons.

5. uberchink

uberchink New Member

i agree, you're a joke. Our passing game was the only thing that was working on Offense and you're saying we almost lost because of it :rofl:

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Just think how much better things would be if they did what was needed to get McFadden and not Gholston. Or if they traded for Turner last year instead of Jones. That high 2nd would have probably gotten him then.

7. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Actually the best pick for the Jets would have been Ryan.

8. abyzmul

I'm not sold on McFadden, but I think I was wrong about Turner, that guy is an animal. Jones comes as advertised, but is not what we needed.

9. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

You're playing a wounded animal. They're a winless team and as such, totally unpredictable. They're a much worse scenario than facing a known, predicatable, easier-to-plan-against opponent. And we beat them and sent them home winless... again... something which I'm sure every member of the Bengals' squad would have been willing to avoid at all cost.

So, place the closeness of the score at Favre's doorstep if you must, but doing so is both naive and hyper-critical. It was a team win for the Jets and a team loss for the Bengals. No one man is responsible for the outcome. Case closed.

10. Ray

Ray New Member

Packers played a lot of close games last year, Favre didn't play great all the time. I personally think 26-14 pretty good.

The point is, they won most of those games. Any team can win, any weekend, the Rams beat the Redskins, LOL

11. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I'm just saying that to win that Favre played that game, with that playcalling, like Pennington would play a normal game. Short passes, occasionally getting a couple a little downfield, but nothing too much. Then he lobbed up two passes that he let the receiver try and get, and they couldn't do that. Pennington likely would have played ball control, not turned the ball over, and we could have converted more on some of those long drives.

I'm happy as hell that we have Favre, and not Pennington, but the difference between the two is not games against dregs like Cincinnati, but rather against the good teams. He's 1-2 so far, though the Arizona game was largely based on field position and their defense was missing arguably their two best players, so their defense was pretty porous. We'd be 2-2 with either QB, but I'm hoping the Favre difference comes in a game like in Buffalo in a few weeks.

12. packerbacker1234

packerbacker1234 New Member

Look: Say what you want - but those two deep pass Ints looked liek the only opportunities the coaching staff Gavre favre to go deep all game. If you bottle a man who likes to go deep up, he's going to do it every small chacne he has.

Example: There were 4 quick hits to WR's for net gains of 2 years a piece, and 6 called WR screens, which netted 3 yards a piece.

That is not brett Favre football. Sure, maybe a couple of those quick hits a game, but 10? Come on now, thats silly. Run some slants - it's not JUST a west coast passing route. One guys does a slant, the other a slant a go. Bam, two options. ANother int he flats, and a 4th doing an out. Suddenly, tehre are guys all over and favre has more options. But everytime favre took the ball and threw it even with the line of scirmmage to a guy who was covered because of play calling, I really bit my tongue. Didn't make sense.

Still, you need to look at Favre's day and things that would of made his day damn impressive if others didn't screw up.

1. His first TD pass that was called back, tell me how many QB's in the NFL can make that play. BOttled up, pocket completely colapsed around him, does a full 360 spin to find himself just to the right of the pocket with room to move... runs towards the line of scrimmage looking as if to run, guy pull ups and is about ot hit favre, last second before he hits the line of scrimmage favre sees a guy in the endzone, throws it while getting crushed... TD. "illegal man down field". I am sorry, but THAT play was vintage favre. Making something... out of nothing. ANd taking punishment to do so. That is what Favre is known for.

So, say that is the TD... instead of the one that happened 2 TD passes later.

Ok, so take TD 1.

ALright - later, Coles drops what looked like, even on replay, to be a easily catchable ball. Good placement, his hands were the only ones on it, and it just went right through them (not the ground, or anything else, just his hands). He catches that (like he normally would in 98% of the other chances at the same catch) and thats 2 Early TD's. Both before any semblence of a INT happens.

Suddenly, his day is looking great. So great, the play calling would possibly begin to change. Change, in that Favre would now be considered "hot", instead of just ok. And in that sense, he may have gotten those Redzone TD's instead of the 2 rushes by Jones.

he owuld of ended up with 70% + completion again, 4 td's, and 2 ints. Hindsight is 20/20. but Favre played a good game. Even the two deep balls, they were both 50/50. he's going to throw those every game. Knowing that, wouldn't toy want to spread the defense more with the passing game to open that up?

13. NewestJetFan

NewestJetFan New Member

Were you watching the same game? Two TDs called back, Coles drops one in the end zone and one pass was completed to the 2. One Pick and one tipped pass. I don't blame any QB for tipped passes that get intercepted. Complete control and no sense that the Jets were panicked. As for the fumble pretty poor protection that play and one bad pass was when the defender clipped his arm, again broken protection.

Don't read anything into that comment on Coles, everybody drops one now and again, even Jerry Rice.

14. Heatseeker

Heatseeker New Member

As someone who's watched Favre his whole career, let me say this....

Favre has never, and will never be the best statistical QB. He has never been, nor will he ever be the most polished, or text book quarterback.

But the one thing he does have, and have oodles of it --- is respect.

And beyond accuracy, arm strength, etc.. that goes a long, long way in this league. Make no mistake, when opposing defenses line up against Brett Favre, they change their game.

He may throw picks, but there's no one more deadly when you absolutely need something to happen.

He knows the game like no one else. And coaches/players know that.

And THAT is the Favre difference.

15. uberchink

uberchink New Member

Favre proves that stats don't mean everything. I love the guy.

16. markcsoul

markcsoul New Member

My favorite Fave quote of all time:

"Don't bet against me."

17. JetsLookingforDWare

But he has been the best statistically?

Not that I don't agree with your point...but respect tends to be glorified by old school fans. Guys get respect by being productive.

18. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

But w/ Brett's strong arm we should be running well, right? we heard all last year how it was Chad's fault b/c he didn't have a strong arm. Again, I like Brett and I see alot of positive sings but he hasn't put it together for more than 1 game so far and to act like he has transfomed us is as ridiculous as it gets.

We had 10 possesssions, FIVE of them began in Cincy territory. Our average starting FP was the 48 yard line and yet our O scored just 26 points. Favre was 25 of 33 for just 189 yds w/ 1 TD(a 2 yarder) and 2 INTs- how exactly was the passing game working? if that's a working passing game we aren't going anywhere this year.

Although we played poorly I am very happy w/ the win but it's people acting like we won b/c we had Favre is where I have the problem as Favre kept Cincy in the game.

No man is reposnlible? hoe come Chad got all the blame last year and how come you aren't having any problems w. the posters telling us this is all about Favre this year?

Let's not make it sound like he would have had 3 TDs if not for penalties, he got a TD on that drove when the first 2 were called back.

19. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

junc loves Chaddy and dislikes Favre...

Just END it.

Haven't you people learned over the years his CONSTANT and at times annoying stuff defending Herm and Torre at all costs?

Once he loves somebody, such as Herm, Torre, or Chad...Then that's it.

20. abyzmul

Junc, don't try to apply someone else's point of view to me. I blamed Chad for not being able to stretch the field effectively, and for things under his control, but I knew the O-line and running game were both just as ineffective. In fact, I gave Thomas Jones way too much credit, because even with a solid passing threat, he is still not explosive at the LOS, at times slowing his momentum approaching tacklers, like he's preparing to make a cut that all of us know he is not going to make.

Chad is what Chad is, but if you think any teams respected out passing attack in the past few years, you are delusional. By week 5 they were jumping routes and stacking the box. Favre is in the heads of defenders, especially after throwing 6 TDs against the Cards, and teams had to lay off and give Jones room to run, and he did get some yardage. The O-line isn't doing as well in run-blocking as it is in pass protection, that is obvious, and our CS knows that as evidenced by the number of traps and draws we ran against the Bengals.

Chad could fake teams out with his play-action, but the threat of a pass during that play action didn't have receivers second-guessing themselves half as much. They didn't have to stick a wideout or TE half as tightly with Chad as they do with Favre, because the ball didn't get there even halfway as fast.

Favre brings a lot of things to the table that Chad simply isn't as physically or instinctively capable.