The "I called it" Jets vs. Bengals thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Steve032, Oct 8, 2008.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

People keep thinking the Jets are not taking the Bengals seriously. I feel the opposite. The Bengals aren't taking the Jets seriously. They think this is a game they can win, no problem.

Thus: JETS DOMINATION will occur.

Leon Washington 2 TDs.

Jets-30
    Bengals-3

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

coles 10 rec 137 yards 2 t.d.
    gholston 1 1/2 sacks
    leon p.r. t.d.
    jets win 35 17

3. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Thank you. i started doing these threads at the beginning of the season and wasn't really sure if people thought they were a good idea :beer:

4. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

I predict Carson Palmer will not play.

5. packerbacker1234

packerbacker1234 New Member

It's a prediction. The bengals offense is better then they have looked overall. They can block, I just thinkt hey lack confidence. Still, they are the upset pick across the board, so they will be coming in expecting to win.

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

With Fitzpatrick, they are not the upset across the board.

This game is no longer a trap game. Fitzpatrick is as good as Kellen Clemens this season.

7. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

My guess -

Fitzpatrick does not have the luck of the Irish and gets knocked out of the game early. Whoever the third string QB is comes in to stink up the joint.

The Jets do not give up more than 10 points.

The Bengals coach Marvin Lewis is fired after this latest debacle.

Favre has a 200+ yard day, but it is the D that takes the cake in this one.

I have a few cocktails in the parking lot to toast a 3 -2 winning record!:beer:

8. FrankieJetFavreFan

Bunguls will actually have a pretty good game

The Jets- Bunguls will play a close game for 3.5 quarters but jets score 2 late touchdowns to make it look like a blowout.

Stuckey will catch a TD

Favre will throw 3tds

Coles will have a TD

Jones will have 100 rush yrds

9. packerbacker1234

Against our Defense, even Clemens can find the endzone. Or, have you not noticed that the Jets D gives up a lot points? Because, they do.

10. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

i predict we'll see a much better Jets D from here on out. i am usually pretty pessimistic about this Jets team, but we all know our Defense is a lot better than they have been playing. They played excellent in Week 1 and Week 2. in Week 3, they played poorly due to constant turnovers from Favre and bad field position. The Chargers also have a great offense. in week 4, they played absolutely dominate in the first half. The second half, they let up a lot of points because they played conservatively. Also, Arizona puts up 35+ points on a regular basis.

So far, Rhodes and Harris haven't been playing up to their ability. They have been our biggest performers in the past. And a lot rides on the health of Jenkins. Yes, it is absolutely possible that our D continues to let up a lot fo points, but i'll place my money that they will be a much different unit on Sunday

11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

This is a false statement that a lot of people seem to believe. In the 3rd quarter of that game we were more aggressive than any other quarter and that's when they scored most of there points. Not until the game was out of reach in the 4th did we go into prevent.

12. packerbacker1234

That "great offense" could only score 10 points on Miami. You can play the blame game on Favre for that loss all you want, but the fact remains that 34 of the points in that game came when favre DIDN'T turn it over. Sorry, I wont blame favre for a loss whent he D, without the turnovers, still gave up 34 points.

Also, someone already responded to your conservative calling - The jets ramped it up hard in the third looking to bury them for good, and thats when Arizona made the big come back. It wasn't really until half way through the 4th quarter that we started to play some prevent. Even then, the game wasn't truly out of reach until favre threw TD pass #6. Until that point, Arizona technically still had a decent shot to come back.

13. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Some good points. i'm pretty sure we both can agree that we can't blame the SD loss solely on the Defense or solely on Favre. They both played under their potential. The point i was trying to make is that our Defense is a lot better than how they have been playing..just like Favre is a lot better than how he played in Weeks 1-3. Our offense took 3 weeks to really click, and they looked like an entirely different unit against Arizona. Most of us believe they will continue to play at a high level for the rest of the season. i believe that our defense will "click" this week, just like the offense did last week. We've seen flashes of how great they can be against Arizona and Miami. With our offense playing better, our defense will not be on the field so much and will have a longer field to defend.

14. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

i never said they played "prevent". What i meant about conservative is that when a team has a 34-0 lead, the players do not play with the same intensity that they would if the game was close. The players "checked-out" and were not playing with the same fire they were during the first half. i apologize for not being clear :beer:

15. cucucachu0000

cucucachu0000 New Member

Leon gets a TD a KR or screen pass
    Thomas is gonna have another average game
    favre will get do something stupid and itll end up working our for him
    either coles or stuckey will have a big game

16. Heatseeker

Heatseeker New Member

Cotchery and Coles both end up with over 100 yards receiving.

Each as a touchdown catch.

Brett will throw a td pass and pump his fist.

17. Paddock

Paddock Member

I have a modest prediction for a Rhodes pick6 tomorrow afternoon

18. Vilmalover51

Vilmalover51 Active Member

No body is saying the begals are going to win so i am going to in order not jinx the jets 34-13 bengals

19. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

34-13 Jets.

www.jetsdaily.com

Two weeks after destroying the Arizona Cardinals, the New York Jets are well-rested and ready to take on the winless Cincinnati Bengals. Don't be fooled by Cincinnati's 0-5 record as they've played some of the better teams in the league (New York Giants, Dallas Cowboys) down to the wire, but without Carson Palmer, it could be a struggle to put up points. Still, winless teams are dangerous because they are desperate. But can Ryan Fitzpatrick come into the Meadowlands and upset the Jets? Let's take a look at each facet of this game.

Jets passing offense vs Bengals passing defense
    Cincinnati's defense actually ranks sixth against the pass, and their number one cornerback Johnathan Joseph is fully healthy this week, a welcome sight for the Bengals. He and Leon Hall are a talented tandem of young cornerbacks, but they will have their hands full against Brett Favre and the Jets. If the front seven can generate some pressure, Favre might force a few passes and make a few turnovers, but that seems unlikely, as they have just three sacks in five games. Still, don't look for Favre to have a field day on this secondary, but he should be able to make enough plays with Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery. Look for Dustin Keller to possibly have an increased role.

Jets rushing offense vs Bengals rushing defense
    Teams have been able to rush for an obscene 171 yards per game against a porous Bengals front seven. Keith Rivers is a good young player, but he has little help, but most of those yards came against the Ravens, Titans, Cowboys, and Giants, four of the better rushing teams in the NFL. The pressure is starting to mount on Thomas Jones. He ran for over 100 yards against Miami, but he hasn't been much of a factor since. If the Jets do not run fairly well on Sunday, it will be alarming. Don't expect 171 total yards on the ground, as a lot of those yards in the other games were in garbage time, but expect it to be much better than it was the past three weeks.

Bengals passing offense vs Jets passing defense
    With Carson Palmer at the helm, this would be an extremely interesting matchup to look at. With Harvard grad Ryan Fitzpatrick, not so much. You may recall Fitzgerald playing great in his first game with St. Louis back in 2005, but since that 300 yard game, he has thrown two touchdowns and ten interceptions in his last four starts, including a 21-35, 156, 1, 3 performance against a shaky Cleveland defense. Chad Ocho Cinco is clearly not himself after a preseason shoulder injury, and as good as TJ Houshmandzadeh is, he's not the fastest receiver, and isn't a major big play threat. Fitzpatrick ran four times for 41 yards last game, so he's a minor threat to run. Look for a lot of passes to slot receiver Antonio Chatman, tight end Reggie Kelly, and runningback Chris Perry in check-downs. Jets' starting safety Eric Smith is out with a suspension, but Abram Elam should be an adequate replacement. This won't be another seven-turnover game, but the Jets' defense should be able to have their way with Fitzpatrick. Bengals' receiver Chris Henry is in his second game back after a four-game suspension, and he could present matchup problems, but until they use him, it's hard to right much about him.

Bengals rushing offense vs Jets rushing defense
    If you've watched the Bengals at all this year, you might have a question right now. What Bengals rushing offense? Chris Perry has fumbled five times in five games, and he has averaged just 2.8 YPC. The former Michigan star (whom I hyped up as a fantasy football sleeper this offseason) has struggled to shake off rust, and the rest of the team hasn't helped him out much. Former Bear bust Cedric Benson also figures to get some carries. As far as the Jets are concerned, Kris Jenkins is playing, so they should be able to stop the run. It really is that simple. Playing against the Bengals' offense helps, too.

Special teams
    Both teams have kicker problems, as the Bengals signed Dave Rayner to possibly kick for Shayne Graham this week. Jay Feely will kick again for the Jets, replacing the injured Mike Nugent. Reggie Hodges will make his long anticipated debut as the Jets' punter, replacing Ben Graham, who replaced Hodges, who replaced Graham. Got it? Kyle Larson is a consistent punter for Cincinnati. Both teams have return threats, especially the Jets with Leon Washington, but Glenn Holt and Chatman have both made plays for the orange and black, too.

Intangibles
    Fitzpatrick is a relative unknown, so that could be a plus for the Bengals, but the Jets have had two weeks to look at tape of both quarterbacks. The Jets have been a traditionally strong team after the bye week, especially under Eric Mangini. With two weeks to prepare against a team missing its leader, the Jets should have intangible edges. The Bengals might also be due for a letdown after losing a heartbreaker to Dallas.

Injury/Suspension news
    Chris Henry is in his second week back for the Bengals, who will lose Carson Palmer. A few other starters are also listed as questionable, SS Dexter Jackson, DT John Thornton, and OT Levi Jones.

The Jets will welcome back RB Jesse Chatman after his four-game suspension, but K Mike Nugent and WR David Clowney are still out. DT Kris Jenkins and WR Laveranues Coles should play despite their questionable status, while CB Justin Miller is more of a question mark. The cold of RT Damien Woody is the only real big news for the Jets, as his status is still a question mark. If he is out, backup Wayne Hunter will get the start.

Prediction
    I just can't see how Cincinnati will score. Ryan Fitzpatrick is not an NFL quarterback, and we saw how badly the Jets harassed Kurt Warner. Don't expect 34-0 at halftime, but this is a mismatch. With Carson Palmer at quarterback, this would have been a tough game, but with him gone, this could be a rout.
    Jets 34, Bengals 13.

20. NewestJetFan

NewestJetFan New Member

Keep it simple, Favre 3 TDS and Jets 34-19.