The Mangini appreciation thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Angry Teste, Oct 5, 2008.

1. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I too am glad we are de-Hermed. This is Mangini's third year. We all new that with what he inherited from Herm and Dumbway, the job would not be easy. Even though we secured a playoff berth in Mangini's first season, nobody expected it; and was really more a function of being a bit lucky and having a soft schedule. 2007 was more of a measure of where we really were.

I do think we have made major strides forward in 2008. I won't put us in the playoffs yet, but at least we seem on the right track and I think the bye week could not have come at a better time for us this year.

Look at where the Chiefs are in Herm's 3rd year. Right where the majority of us predicted they would be (in the cellar). You know you have done a bad coaching and drafting job, if you are in year three and actually say, "We are re-building". KC is right where we (2007 Jets) were to an extent this year; the season is getting close to the mid-point and the season is already over and one starts looking at the off-season and next year. At least we can say that we feel their pain.

2. 611LWC

611LWC New Member

I think it is way too soon for an appreciation thread for Mangini. I thought Herm was ok we had some good times under Herm. With respect to Herm lovers, what difference does it make, he is gone why talk about him anymore. The team looks good now, the only problem I see is after Frave is gone, and he will be after this season or the next, we still have a huge issue at QB.

But back to the appreciation issue. I appreciate wins and losses

Herm's record after two seasons 19-13
    Mangini's record after two seasons 14 and 18

At this point I am not sure what there is to appreciate....

3. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Let's see how the rest of the season pans out before we line up to polish the guy's knob...

4. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I miss Herm. I haven't had a good PC in three years.

5. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

Lets see him win a playoff game first.

6. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Mangini's been getting a lot better with the quotes, at least in training camp.

7. JetsLookingforDWare

Nice context.

Herm drafted/developed exactly who on that team he coached?

Even the good talent Herm drafted, Rhdoes and Cotchery, flourished under Mangini and not Herm.

Also some great coaches first 2 years:

Bill Walsh: 8-24

Chuck Noll: 6-22

Marty Schott: 12-12

Bill Belichick: 13-19

Not saying Mangini is a HOF coach, but look where the team was with Herm after 3 years. He lived off of Parcells' talent.

8. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Herm had Curtis Martin. Enough said!!

9. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Whom he inherited from Parcells and proceeded to run into the ground.

10. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Way too soon for a Mangini appreciation thread...

While I don't despise Herm like so many others here do, I think a 'Herm's Not Our Coach Appreciation Thread', given the current state of the Chiefs, would be much more appropriate.

This team went out and spent a fortune to put a winning team on the field in 2008 (and possibly beyond, depending laregly on the QB situation), and so at this point, one would assume Mangini would have to take the team beyond expectations (.500-ish, maybe a wildcard playoff birth) to deserve his own appreciation thread.

Even still, I believe that if this team makes a playoff push, Favre and Jenkins would deserve appreciation threads well before Mangini.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Time will tell with Mangini. Try to remember that we've only had one HOF coach in the entire 40 year history of the franchise. I think Mangini got lucky in '06, unlucky in '07 and so far in '08, thanks in no small part to getting Farve, has a decent chance of breaking even and perhaps making the playoffs.

Waay too soon for one of these kneepad threads for Mangini. Maybe by year 5 but not now..

12. Brien O'Ken

Brien O'Ken Member

It's amazing to me that we actually managed to get a 4th round draft pick out of KC for Herm. I was never comfortable with him as our coach. He's a great soundbite for the media, but always looked confused on the sideline. Even after he hired a coach specifically to help with clock management, they still failed in that area.

Mangini, on the other hand, I believe is destined to be one of the great NFL coaches and is already showing signs of that. As DWare pointed out, he's the smartest coach we've had since Parcells. He's aggressive (unlike Herm's 3 conservative running plays before Doug Brien missed the field goal against Pit in the playoffs). He has a system that the players are buying into. And Tannenbaum has already done a ton to show his talent as a GM. I'm very excited about the future of this team.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Now you and I both know it only takes one game for the "true fans" to start calling posters out. Nevermind that perhaps over the decades, we've seen good games come and go without anything to show for it. I'm amazed the SB predictors haven't been outfront posting in giant fonts how this team will go 14-2.

Usually, its the youngins that do all the calling out. The rest of us know better. :up:

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I appreciate the way this team is moving. We have drafted well and are building the team from the trenches out. I like this approach and feel its the correct way (the Parcells way) to run a team. The workman like attitude that seems to be installed is also a huge plus. Moving vets that don't fit out for draft picks.

On the down side I have questioned some calls in the past and some of the game planning, but feel Mangini has the smarts to improve in this area. Moving some vets that we did not have a replacement for. That created the fiasco that was our '07 offenisve line and was a huge part of why we slid back.

I like that he takes chances, even if they do not work out. Running on 4th and 1. The Play action pass on 4th for the TD. A off timed on sides kick, even the ones we lose it. It shows that he is willing to take a risk to win a game. I'm also a big fan of the 3-4 and have seen it run to prefection for years by living so close to pittsbrugh. I think we are very close to having all the right parts in place to have a dominant defense.

Now if only he would fire Bob Sutton.

:hackett:

15. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Well said!!

Wish we still had him.

16. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Listen we can all appreciate that Mangini is well organized and hands on. The players are now lightening up to him as well.

We can appreciate that he can manage a game.

We can apreciate that he is NOT Bruce Coslet or Rich Kotite. Show the man a little luv huh?

17. Killeri9590

Killeri9590 Banned

Way too soon but I think he has done a good job definately.

18. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

i enjoy mangini's brand of humor. he likes to dodge questions with a shit eating grin on his face. to me this shows that he knows what he is doing, and instead of taking to seriously like his mentor up in new england, he is doing more because he knows it annoys the crap out of the media. even though that probably isn't the reason, i enjoy his way of not saying anything at the PC's

19. JetsLookingforDWare

Dude, *time will tell* as to whether we *can be* optimistic.

Mangini is intelligent, hard working, dedicated, extremely likable if you go by what the players seem to think, not afraid to make the gutsy call, organized, and proactive if we go by the general changes going on around here. If this organization is dumb enough to let him go, which I doubt Woody would or will do, he'll be a great coach somewhere else. But he's perfect for the Jets IMO, because he does not let the media eat him up like Herm and other lesser coaches have.

I even like his press conferences better than Herm's. Who wants a coach who's funny because the shit he says is stupid?

20. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

Guess this is as good a place as any to do this:

[​IMG]

No, this isn't Mangini's new baby. It's mine (2 mos old).

[​IMG]
    Uncanny, huh?

Hopefully I'm not married to the new Sharon Shenocca.