What's the gameplan against the singlewing?!?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by JetMonkey, Oct 6, 2008.

1. JetMonkey

JetMonkey Member

The Dolphins have been direct snapping the ball to Ronnie Brown, using a form of the Singlewing formation?
    First off, what the hell is it? And how does a team go about stopping it?
    I feel like this formation might be a mainstay in the Phins playbook this season...

:finssuck:

2. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

I didn't know Cincy ran the single wing.

3. JetMonkey

JetMonkey Member

Who said anything about Cincy? I am trying to get a general feel for what it is, because i am not familiar with it AT ALL.

4. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

5. Revis Flytrap

Revis Flytrap New Member

^Excellent read! Hey--its about time to bring it back! What a fu**in' genius this kid from miami is!

Gotta luv the NFL!

6. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

The single wing is an unbalanced line that is much stronger on one side. From watching the highlights of the Miami vs NE game it seems that NE kept its defense balanced in numbers on either side of the ball even when Miami was in the single wing formation, this meant Miami was stronger than NE on that side. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to shift the defense to match the offense strength for strength.

7. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

I don?t think it?s that much about the Formation and Collegestuff Miami is doing, they?re just a good runningteam. Every coach in the NFL theoretically knows how to stop that stuff, but stopping a good Runninggame isn?t that easy. I said week one that I think they got a pretty good OL if Long turns into at least a lolid LT (which he seemes to do). Ronnie had a 5.2 YPC average against the Cargers and that?s not all Singlewing and Wildcat. His longest run was only 13 yards, which means they get consistent yardage from their Runninggame.

That?s also the reason Penny is doeing so well, they manage to keep him out of 3rd and long and give him his biggest weapon back: Playaction.

8. OhioJetsFan

OhioJetsFan Member

The good ole single-wing was created by Pop Warner to emphasize the athletic ability of his star player, Jim Thorpe (1907/8, a century ago).

It relies on assignment and execution, hence its use by teams (midget-league to high-school, college, and once again the pros) that have less than stellar talent.

It is not a gimmick offense, as some suggest. It is a reliable method of ball movement when executed properly.

To counter it, the defense MUST play patient assignment football. Anything less (or overaggressive) won't work.

9. rudd28

rudd28 New Member

Bottom line...the single wing, or wildcat, or runninghog, or whatever it is gives you +1 more blocker on the field, which obviously helps. This is over simplifying it, but if you think about it, it makes sense for people who dont understand? The QB is taken off the field, with a direct snap to a RB or WR behind center.

10. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Yeah, this is correct except for the fact that Pennington has been on the field (split out wide) when the Dolphins have operated out of that formation.

11. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

that is part of what makes the dolphins version more difficult to defend. Brown can run up the middle or to the right, he can pass the ball downfield (10 yards or so) he can pitch to Williams, or he can throw the long overhand lateral to pennington, and as long as it is backwards pennington can throw a pass downfield.

12. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

Lets just have Brent Farge play Defense. 6 TDs in one game should translate to 6 sacks in a game.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That's right, I remember somebody on this board said a sack equals a touchdown.

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I tend to agree and that plays into the strength of our defense. We have been very, very good against the run this year. As long as Jenkins stays healthy I'm looking forward to that matchup again.

15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

:rofl:

I forgot all about that. That thread was hilarious in its massive stupidity.

16. dreamwalker

dreamwalker New Member

Miami is using the single wing formation to keep teams from using 8 or 9 in the box. It allows Brown to hit the line of scrimmage a whole second faster by avoiding taking a handoff.

Teams always stacked the line of scrimmage on Miami and after they started using the formation, around the 3rd quarter of the NE game, NE realized they had to move the safety out of the box because the threat of Williams turning the corner on their defense was too great.

I do not think the jets will have a problem defending if they do not try to put 8 or 9 in the box and they do not run it that often as evident in the San Diego game

17. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

How to defend the single wing? Well for starters, since Penny is flanked wide, hes fair game. I say have our CB smash him into the ground so they think twice about even attempting it again. If he doesnt get up, oh well.

Treat Ronnie Brown as if hes Vick, a great runner and a shitty passer. It worked well against him for quite a few years in the NFL, so what makes this situation any different?

18. dreamwalker

dreamwalker New Member

then they move pennington to the hb position, it becomes another option for brown, and to treat brown like vick would be a mistake because that is kind of what they want. Instead of brown taking it up the middle he gives it to williams for a sweep, he turns the corner and hes gone.

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

If you consistently beat the shit out of Ronnie Brown on each play and take him out of the game, then this pussy offense is moot.

The Pats beat up on Marshall Faulk on every play in the 2001 SB (and used spy footage). Do the same here, attack Brown and forget everyone else. The dude is injury prone - lets see the Fins win without him.

20. dreamwalker

dreamwalker New Member

i guess they would say, it is a good thing they only run it 4 or 5 times a game and its even better that brown splits those carries with williams