Favre, Coles, Cotchery and Keller

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 1969jets, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

but we have brad smith. tie breaker goes to greenbay.

2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Our recievers didn't look so good against SD and looked great against the Cardinals. How about we see how consistently good they are against good defensive teams before we say how great they are.

3. NewestJetFan

NewestJetFan New Member

I assume Welker and Moss are in the top 3, who are the others just curious as I know more about NFC han AFC? Thanks

4. NewestJetFan

NewestJetFan New Member

Actually the receivers did their job, everyone knew the pass was coming and they caught 30 of 42 for 3 TDs. Coles had first touch on the ball that was taken from him for an interception/score and that is pretty much my only negative of the receivers.

5. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

There were dropped passes routes that weren't completed and its all on the tape. That's why Cotch was doubled and Coles was allowed to run free against the Cardinals. Football is a game of adjustments, Coles was singled and ran his routes hard for the first time against a not very good D.

Coles is a good WR but he played horribly for 3 weeks. Defenses will adjust we will adjust. 1 game doesn't prove much. It was good to see him out of his funk and competiting hard. It doesn't mean we have a great WR group.

6. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

come on ... we all know jennings is the best WR on either team. But with stuckey emerging as at least a target (how often did we have 3 WR as legitimate targets in any given game last year) we could have a really threatining O. Though even GB can't claim that they have 3 WR in the top 5 in td catches

7. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

Depth wise I completely agree with you. I'm not that familiar with Baker but I have a hard time believing he's better than Donald Lee though. Franks and Keller definitely tip the scales in favor of the Jets.

8. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

learn to read....I said aeriel....im not even going to hint the Jets running game is better then the chargers..thats plain ignorant

9. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Coles also started to adjust to the velocity on the balls. I did groan when the one went through his arm(s) in the end zone. I think he is catching on to how good he could have it this year.

10. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

you know like 2 tds came off play action sunday right?

i also think the running game is better than it has shown. the jets didnt ever seem to be making much of an attempt to establish the run game on sunday. and i dont blame then when we have favre throwing the ball like he was sunday let him throw it every time. i think as the season moves along we start to see a more potent run game, especially if they continue to get leon the ball more. he can break one at any time.

11. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I'm excited to continue to see our skill players develop. The only thing we really lack is that big wr (Calvin Johnson, Braylon, TO) type player. I don't think it's a necessary but certainly helps.

I think a formation that will really cause problems for defenses is with Cotchery, Coles, Stuckey, Keller and Leon. You have Cotchery and Coles who can beat most cornerbacks on one one. Keller is a very difficult match up and will probably demand a double team later in the season. Stuckey in the slot is dangerous and no defense wants Leon to have the ball in space.

12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Its a very small sample size to go off those stats alone. The one game really tips the scales in the Jets favor badly.

I'd take Coles and Cotch over Driver and JEnnings, but I'm a Jets fan. Out of the 4 Jennings may be the best of the bunch at this point. Driver is on the Down side as well as Coles, but both will be effective for a few more years. Cotchery is a real good talent, but not exactly an elite receiver.

Lets wait a full year instead of annointing guys like Stucky anything more then luckey to have Favre throwing him the ball righht now. I want to continue to see him make an impact.

13. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

Inserting my nose in this thread for the first time: Look, there is no definitive way to settle the debate (with all due respect to the poster that decided the Jets had better WR because they have more TD -- I'm sorry,that's just silly to base a comparison on that).

All I can say is that I've watched both now for a number of games, and my personal opinion is that GB's are better. Cotch == Driver I can accept, but not Coles >= Jennings. Jennings is clearly the winner there In My Opinion. And I think Jones wins whoever you match him up to too (Stuckey).

Regarding TE ... I'm not sure yet. But I hope no one here starts posting that GB's Lee is not that good, that simply is not true.

14. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

If our OL could protect against the other teams DL and ILB's 5 on 5, and the WR's run 15+ yards down the field, either Leon or Keller would be wide open in the flat, with running room. If they try to take that away with OLB or SS help, you have 3-4 DB's on 3 WR's downfield. I like those odds.

15. uberchink

uberchink New Member

that's a big if or else every team would do that

16. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Not every team has Brett Favre. Every team has an empty backfield package in the playbook, not every team has the personnel to use it. Heck, I'm not even talking 5 wide here. Leon can be lined up to start next to Favre, and Keller could be on the line.

17. uberchink

uberchink New Member

touche. obviously it could lead to a lot of sacks but it would be an effective formation for our offense.

18. 1969jets

1969jets Banned

Amazing! We can't use production as a way of determining who is best, or at least who is having the better season! I guess we just need to trust your "expert" opinion on which team has the better receivers!

19. 1969jets

1969jets Banned

Let's just let the so called experts decide who is the best without looking at production! Every year brings a wind of change. Clearly Favre and this set of receivers is better than Rodgers and his set of receivers to date. That much is clear. Oh I'm sorry we should just take your "expert" opinion and run with that, instead of looking at the facts!

20. uberchink

uberchink New Member

it's only 4 weeks in dude. so after week 2/3 we were just slightly above average? then 1 week later all our guys sold their souls to the devil so they could be #1?

stats change from week to week and even if they stay the same they're not the end-all answer to everything.