Brett Favre was a mistake...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Hemi, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

That also doesn't take into account clock management though. I.E you get picked and the other team runs the ball on you for 3/4 of the Quarter (I.E Jags vs Colts this past sunday). In an infinite time football game you have a point, but we only have 4 quarters so give me the 2.2 ratio every day and twice on sunday.

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I couldn't disagree more. It's about scoring points on offense. We've seen the low TD/low INT machine in action for a while. The offense didn't score many points.

2.2 ratio is nice but you need more TD's to make it valuable. Of course that doesn't take into account rushing TD's either.

I'm just going by experience watching that type of play.

edit: out for the night :finssuck:

3. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Ok you disagree on that point, fair enough. But you're still comparing Favre's projections in NYJ to Pennington's projection in Miami. It's only fair to debate Favre in NYJ to Pennington in NYJ, because like I said before, Favre is in a much better situation offensive-wise than Pennington.

4. R&R Express

R&R Express New Member

I agree. Our WR's are shit in Miami. And like it's been said before, stats don't tell the whole story. Penny is an excellent game manager, there isn't a stat for that.

5. Cornfed

Cornfed Member

If you'd honestly rather have Chad than Favre this year, then I say good luck and go with God.

We know exactly what you get with Chad (mind you, I loved him as a player before he became broken).

With Favre, he has a big possibly upside, and a big possible downside. We've seen more of the downside so far (maybe 1 of 3 of his passes are complete heaves without direction or intent). But at least he has potential.

Chad is simply broken.

6. keypusher

keypusher Member

"We know exactly what you get with Chad (mind you, I loved him as a player before he became broken)."

I think we got a teacher, a leader, and a better QB than the ones we had. Durability wasn't a big issue for us -- we're not going to the playoffs this year, barring a miracle. And it wasn't like Favre was an option for Miami -- he wasn't going to sign with a 1-15 team.

I think the Jets got a QB that was better than what they had.

I hate to be all Pollyanish, but I think Favre going to the Jets and Pennington going to the Dolphins was a win for both teams.

#466 keypusher, Sep 26, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  7. WhiteShoeWillis

Projection or not, that's who Favre will be playing with and that's who Penny will be playing with. I'll agree the Miami receivers suck donkey dick, but Penny had his chance with the Jets receivers. Sans 2002, frankly it hasn't been productive. Cue Pennington supporters pointing at playoff appearance in 3, 2, 1 ... And if you want to play that card, Ronnie & Ricky are clearly better backs than TJ. I don't think TJ is bad, but those guys are very talented.

Wins and losses will ultimately determine whether Favre was a good choice or not. If you think the best of the Jets offense has already been displayed, I think you're mistaken. It's far too early to make a determination IMO.

#467 WhiteShoeWillis, Sep 27, 2008
  8. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Pennington wasn't even the annouced starter for the Jets. He was put in a QB competition and after a few weeks of that competition it was determined that Clemens wasn't ready and Pennington wasn't a viable option. That is the reason Favre was pursued and Pennington cut.

There was some consensus based on INT's in TC that Pennington was winning the QB competition with Clemens. It wasn't clear however if Ratliff wasn't outperforming both of them or if Pennington and Clemens were both unimpressive in TC which appeared to be the real case based on TC reports. What is clear is management didn't believe in either Pennington or Clemens and that's why Favre was brought in. You can speculate all you want if Pennington would be better than Favre but you don't even know if Pennington would be playing if Favre wasn't here?

#468 winstonbiggs, Sep 27, 2008
  9. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Yeah we do. Have you seen Clemens play? He can't even finish off a drive in garbage time.

10. winstonbiggs

Ignore that Pennington threw 2 balls into Jet defenders hands in week 1 with an opportunity to win and was benched in week 2.

11. Italian Seafood

Pennington's already had more good games this year than Clemens has ever had, and he's in a new offense. Clemens is in the same offense for three years and he still can't finish a drive. You think Clemens picks apart the Pats in New England? He lasted one play up there and put us in a 7-0 hole.

12. winstonbiggs

Pennington has had one good game one nothing game and a total stinker.

13. Italian Seafood

And Clemens has had? In his career? Can he lead a TD drive first, before we compare him favorably to any NFL starter, let alone one who has won playoff games?

14. winstonbiggs

Clemens last year was better than Chad on every level. Look at the game Chad had against Miami and the game Clemens had against Miami. Chad played himself off the team last year.

15. Italian Seafood

Then why was he on the team in this camp? Why isn't Clemens a starter in the league? Clemens was awful last year, everybody played well against Miami. The games we won with him were 16-13 and we had to go to OT to score that much. Please.

16. winstonbiggs

Clemens isn't ready right now. Chad was cut fired thrown out the door after the staff saw what he could do in TC. He got picked up by a team that drafted their QB of the future and want to sit him for a year.

Live with it he sucked last year and was benched, he sucked in TC and was cut. He is a Dolphin and he has sucked in 2 out of 3 this year for them. Go root for him and them. I prefer having Clemens and Ratliff on my team with Favre starting for now.

17. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Pennington was pulled in Week 2 chiefly because the Dolphins were getting blown out in Glendale. They had no shot to win when Pennington was pulled for Chad Henne. The coaching staff simply wanted to give Henne some playing time at that point.

Pennington was back starting the very next game. So much for being benched, huh?

18. Italian Seafood

If Clemens isn't ready after three years in the same offense with half a season under his belt, when is he going to be? He's shown nothing at any point in his career to make anyone think he'd have beaten out Chad or any other starting NFL QB. Sorry, as a Jet fan I have no confidence when he's in the game. That's got nothing to do with Chad, he's gone and I still have no confidence in Clemens if we have to use him.

Chad didn't suck in TC, he was only cut because a Hall-of Fame QB fell into the team's lap for a 4th round pick. He got a job the next day and won the starter's job within two weeks, then went out and beat a team that hadn't been beaten in 21 games. Their last loss at home was against the 2006 Jets, also with Chad at QB, by the way. He didn't suck in the game against us, either, he threw two TDs and Revis made a great play to prevent a third to beat us. Too bad you have such an ax to grind with Chad for whatever reason that you can't even see plain facts for what they are.

19. WhiteShoeWillis

Even if a HOF QB becomes available 4 weeks before the season starts, you don't make that move unless you're not confident going into the season with who you have. These guys obviously knew it would take a good amount of time to get the offense up to speed with a new QB who didn't know the offense. It was a huge risk and they obviously were not happy with the current QB situation or they wouldn't have taken it.

When Chad had an opportunity to beat the Jets, a team he knew inside and out, he failed. He did manage to throw his only TD's of the season though. He tried to throw an INT on the play prior to Revis picking it, but Coleman failed to catch a floater that hit him right in the hands.

He played very well against NE, I'll give him that.

20. Italian Seafood

I agree with most of that, which means the management wasn't happy with Clemens, either. The conversation here is who would have been the starter had Favre not become available. They had all off season to look for an upgrade and didn't until Brett Favre came out of retirement.

The only thing I disagree with is putting the Dolphin loss vs us all on Chad. He threw a few bad balls, all QBs do, but he brought them back from 20-7 down with 4:00 to a jump ball for the game on the last play. Ginn has to at least knock it down, Revis made a great play. Good thing he did or we're 0-3.

#480 Italian Seafood, Sep 27, 2008