Brett Favre was a mistake...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Hemi, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Well, I questioned the Herm move from the get go, so at least I felt Chad was promising for awhile there. He lost me in the Pitt playoff loss.

But the dynamic as you point out is quite similar. Even up to Herm's departure he had many fans, despite never getting the secondary straight (supposedly his area of expertise) and worst of all presiding over the decline of the OL, the awful game day failures, the favoring over the hill vets over promising young guys, the lack of developing same young guys, the apparent poor imput in personnel decisions. I still think the Herm love evaporated because the way he left was such a diss that even his fans had to take notice.

Chad's situation in that last respect is not similar, but the overall dynamic is the same. It will just take longer for the air to leak out of that one.

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I should have known you would be all over that post. :up: It's unbelievable what some people say on here. Chad was always a warrior for us and gave us a lot of himself, a lot more than people ever give him credit for.

3. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Careful, they'll ship you off to Miami for talk like that. :smile:

4. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Chad lost it for the Dolphins 2 weeks in a row. In his win over the Pats, he must have changed his name to Ronnie Brown.

Also, while only for a single year, Dan Henning was the QB coach for the Jets while Pennington was here. So maybe the learning "quicker" idea is a little offset. maybe Chad is smarter than Brett, but that doesn't make him a better QB, by any stretch.

How many times do you want to see the QB throw 9 yards on 3rd and 17?
    As soon as Curtis was gone, as was Chad. So he's not quite as good as you think.

5. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

How can you say that we were going to be a contender with Pennington? Do you have a crystal ball? That's absurd at best because the problems being driven home by the coaching staff are only compounded by Pennington. At least Favre has the ability to make the bad, good.

How many 2 minutes drives, to win it, did Chad have?

6. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

There's a huge Jets fan base that will not be happy unless the Jets are 19-0, with a QB with a 100% passing accuracy, a perfect QB rating, 0 picks, and 5000 TDs in a season. And even then, there would be complaints.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

a lot, and he usually threw a pick to seal the game.

8. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Yeah he can't throw to the sideline unless it's a fade and by the time the ball gets to the receiver, even the dude selling beer could catch it.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

When he played the Jets he tried a rainbow to Ginn. Rhodes and Revis ran it down like a centerfielder, but I think it went through Revis' hands.

He just isn't a QB who puts the game on his back.

10. R&R Express

R&R Express New Member

Music to my ears. Knew Jest fans would eventually realize what a mistake trading for Favre was. Thanks alot for Penny though!

11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Get back to us at the end of the season.

Code:
           Att	Comp	Yds	TD	INT	Rate
    Favre   90  	63  	646  	6  	3  	98.7
    Penny   83  	53  	589  	2  	1  	87.9

Jets 20
    Fins 14

edit:
    Projected over 16 games:
    Code:
    Att	Comp	Yds	TD	INT	Rate
    480	336	3445	32	16	98.65
    443	283	3141	11	5	88.43

#451 WhiteShoeWillis, Sep 26, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  12. R&R Express

R&R Express New Member

Oh I certainly will, I certainly will. It's going to be so nice knowing all the hype about Favre was, ummmm, well, hype. The truth is, the Jests aren't any better with him and all those 10+ win predictions you guys made are nothing more than a dream. But no worries at all Broadway, I will certainly be back when reality hits you in the face :up:

Edit- Who makes more mistakes? Favre or Penny? You certainly know the answer is Favre. Glad you like Favre though. Maybe your love of him won't let you down when he doesn't lead the Jests to the promised land. The fact that next year, after Favre retires, you will be looking for a QB all over again adds insult to injury

#452 R&R Express, Sep 26, 2008
  13. WhiteShoeWillis

Fair enough. It's certainly a possibility he doesn't work out. But will you come back if he does work out?

14. R&R Express

R&R Express New Member

Yes I will come back. I'm not afraid of a little Crow for dinner. I admit I've been wrong plenty of times before.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Pennington needs to retire for Jets fans finally not talk about him. I used to root for the guy, but its hard to do with some of the posts here, and the fact that he wears teal now.

16. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

When I posted numbers everyone was all over me. You can use numbers to demonstrate that in recent years Pennington has been a better QB than Favre (I'm not going to repeat the appropriate stats). The point is, statistics can be misleading. For example, they don't show that Favre should have had four interceptions last week as two passes thrown directly at the numbers of defenders were dropped. Again, fact is Favre has been okay but not great, about what a sane person would have expected from a soon to be 39 year old QB.

17. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Chad didn't lose Week 1. We were able to stay competitive largely in part due to Chad's play. That last drive was pretty impressive for a guy who had what, 2 weeks to learn the offense. Not Chad's fault Ted Ginn is fucking garbage and was covered by Revis.

18. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Apparently the coaching staff thought diffently they cut his ass during a QB competition which proved we didn't have a decent starter on the team.

There is no way in the world that Favre is brought in and Chad is cut if the staff beleived playoffs 10 to 11 wins with Chad.

19. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Who is the source on the projection and what algorithm exactly are they using to make that projection? And btw, 11:5 is more valuable than 32:16 as far as value is concerned.

Let's also not forget that this is obviously Chad in Miami and Favre in NYJ. The OP was a question of whether or not Favre was a mistake. Unfortunately, we will never have the virtual data of Pennington throwing to Coles, Cotchery, Keller, and Stuckey. Pennington is throwing to a Miami receiving core that you'll probably agree is far worse than what the Jets have. Can we guess what those projected stats would be if Chad is throwing to that same recieving core?

#459 Antoni, Sep 26, 2008
  20. WhiteShoeWillis

First off, I agree (for once) with LTJF that stats definitely don't tell the whole story. I also agree that Fahvra has played average so far. I do think the best is yet to come though.

Anyway - I did the projection by dividing the current stats by 3 (3 games) then multiplying by 16 for the season. It's just simple math, no complex algorithm was needed. I used a qb rating calculator online to figure that out.

11:5 is definitely not more valuable than 32:16. Every INT does not result in a score by the other team. Every TD does.

In the end, the projection doesn't mean shit. W's and L's are the only stat that will matter.

#460 WhiteShoeWillis, Sep 26, 2008