So some people hate my opinions....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Hemi, Sep 23, 2008.

1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Thats right that makes 31 others teams losers. All you mentioned is wonderful & terrific but meant NOTHING. They play the season to win the SB that is the goal & is anything less then that makes the season UNSUCESSFUL (see GPC last year 18-0 & what did they get?)

2. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

How is this thread selfish?

Have I take over the board.

This is my point. I see everyone saying how it is ok that the team is 1-2, that there are lesser opponents coming up, easy wins. My point is I am tired of settling for mediocrity. I want to see results. I want to see wins. Just like any other fan on here. The team has been meddling with hope for years and years. "Wait til next year" should be the team slogan. There seems to be a split amongst fans here who are willing to accept that "we lost to a better team" and "give it time". Then there are those who want to see results, see the team make progress, no more moral victories, but actual victories. Not just, "well so and so was playing well", no stuff like "what a great team win, the team is finally joining the elite". When is that time? We can't expect miracles like the Pats losing to the Dolphins the last week of the season thus handing us a divisional title. You have to go and take it. Not just be ok with losing to good teams.

I have been supporting this team for many years, much like many of you. Aren't you tired of the mediocrity? Don't you want to see more than this?
    Or are you just hoping for at least a one and done playoff run?

Call it selfish if you want for me starting this thread. But this is just how I feel about the Jets and the fan reactions on here to those that are willing to wait longer for success. There is more to this board than just this one thread.

3. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

i got you im just saying as a fan, how can anyone only be happy if the team they root for wins the championship? so in all the major team sports only 4 teams fanbases can be happy a year the rest need to be miserable? i watch sports for fun, i like to watch the jets win but them not winning the superbowl doesn't cause me to be miserable. when they lose, or get eliminated from the playoffs i get pissed, sad,mad whatever and then 2 hours later im over it. i mean its supposed to be enjoyable, not miserable to watch.

4. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

One more time they play to win the championships. Anything less makes the season UNSUCCESSFUL. You do realize it is 40 years since we last won one?

5. ukilledkenny

yeah i realize it but im only 20, i have only really been a fan since i was like 11 or 12 so its only been 8 or 9 years for me. and what they did before i became a fan is pretty much irrelevant to me. like the kids my age who brag about the steelers winning 4 in a row or whatever, who cares they didnt get to see it. or my favorite my yankees fans friends who throw out 26 world series at me all the time. who cares that they won that many when they didnt get to enjoy those.

maybe its because i haven't been dissapointed by them enough yet that i can find enjoyment in the team even when they dont win it all, i'll get back to you in 20 years and see if i still feel the same.

6. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Well I'm 41 and I still agree with you, a Jet fan since 1974. The fun of it is the ride, not the destination. Of course we all want to see the Jets win a Super Bowl, I was nine days short of my second birthday when they won it. But if you're a fan who has suffered through countless 4-12s and the Kotite years, you can appreciate when we did well at certain times.

Someone like champ sees no difference between the Sack Exchange years and the Kotite years, but I think most of us do. That's why some of us have a lot more appreciation for players who have come here and at least given us something to be proud of and get excited about, even if we didn't reach the final goal. If you couldn't enjoy what we did in 1998 with Vinny or in 2002 with Chad while it was going on, than you're a joyless individual who probably shouldn't be watching football for entertainment.

Even when you do finally win a championship, all you want to do then is win another--as a Devils fan I've experienced this as well. I'm sure the Yankee fans on here will tell you the same thing. As a sports fan I think it's better to try and live for what's going on now and what could happen, without dwelling on what did or didn't happen in the past, because that's over and there's nothing anybody can do about it.

7. ukilledkenny

im glad not to be the only one who can enjoy sports and the teams i root for without a championship at the end.

8. Italian Seafood

Otherwise you just end up as a miserable, bitter, old.....well, you know.

9. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

what's so ridiculous is the fact that most posters on this board penciled losses to the chargers and patriots but still had us making the playoffs. now because we have favre we aren't supposed to lose?

10. ukilledkenny

i feel like most of this panic came because brady went down, and the dolphins just beat the pats.

no they did not look good against the pats or the chargers, the pats game i really have no explanation for except the belichick always finds a way to beat us for the most part.

the chargers as others have said wouldn't have lost that game to anyone on monday. they were at home, after 2 heartbreaking losses. we just got the bad luck of being there.

so people are panicking because favre hasn't come in and thrown for 500 yards and 5 tds. but if thats what everyone was expecting than its their own fault for being so crazy.

11. Italian Seafood

The only thing there is people assumed we'd lose to the Brady Patriots, not to a QB who hadn't started a game since high school. Watching Miami kick their ass the next week doesn't make us feel any better. I'll give you the Charger game, but the Pats were a division game at home that, given the circumstances, we should have won.

It's not really about Favre, at least not to me. A lot of people here were talking Super Bowl, but when is the last time Favre got there with the Packers? 1997? I guess we can compare it to the year Vinny came here, but he had the full camp to learn the offense and didn't play the first few games. If Favre gets to that level we'll be fine, but time will tell. We also don't have a young Curtis Martin and Keyshawn Johnson on this team, either, nor the dream team coaching staff that one had.

12. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

At the end of the day we all want to see the team win but the I want to see results now we have to win mentality has kept us bad for too long. We went out and made alot of moves this offseason because the Giants won the Sb and those moves were based on taking headlines and getting some Farve Highlights as opposed to building a long term Football team built to compete for years. Because so many of will whine like babies if the team is gutted and rebuilt the right way we have to get bandaids put over mediocre teams each year and get the same sorry results time and time again. The Dolphins are bad and their fans realize they will be bad for a few years. At the end of the day Pacells and Co will draft and build a team from the bottom up that will be ready to win in a few years. Because of our lack of patience our Fo can not do it right so we get this mess every year. I will not complain about Farve but at the end of the day I believe we should have rebuilt and not retooled. We played a Sb caliber team with a Retooled team and it showed just how far we are from being a champion. Since we do not know when Bf will leave and our backup Qb's lack the experience we are even further away. Why because we have to do whatever to win today.

13. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I agree. I did not think this was a win now team this spring, I just did not feel like the pieces were in place totally yet, that is why I did not agree with the move to get Favre. Just seemed desparate to me. No sense of building the QB position. I guess the attempt was Clemens being the future, and maybe it still is, but I don't think they would have gotten Favre if they thought Clemens had the potential to win. Maybe they still think Clemens will turn the corner next year, if that is the case, then I am reading it wrong.

Yes they signed some high profile FAs. But the core of the team, Rhodes, Harris, Revis, Mangold, Brick, Cotchery, etc...is still young. It is year three for Clemens, if he is not ready soon, then they shit the bed in terms of developing a QB. That is me agreeing the sentiment on here that it takes years to develop a young QB. If that is Ratliff or Ainge or a rookie next year, that means we are years away from stability at the most important position on the team. And who knows what shape the team will be in a that point.

14. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Are you kidding? This is laughable. We have one of the most patient fan bases in the NFL. Years and years of waiting list to watch for the most part some really bad football. Nobody lacked patience the FO's and there have been many, have screwed the pooch with sold out houses for years, all on their own having zilch to do with our patience.

Parcells and co will build and the fans will be patient just like we are because he will get results. It may have been a stunt to bring in Favre for PSL reasons because in this economy you can't piss on your fans without giving them something but the reality is the last time I looked we were in the middle of a QB comp. between a 30 something with 2 shoulder surgeries a broken hand a bad foot and our 2nd round draft pick from 3 years ago. If we had traded Pennington or cut him before TC and handed the job to Clemens or had a comp between Clemens and Ratliff you might have a point. Favre hasn't set this team back 5 minutes, dumping Pennington ensured we will move on at QB sooner than later. Patience by the fans isn't in play. We don't have a proven FO who knows how to build a team right, they may not know how to at all? It could be a weak schedule, lack of injuries and a disciplinarian approach had more to do with our record in year 1 than the FO's ability to build a team right, run a team right and evaluate the talent?

Fans have every right to be sketical particularly when the results back them up. Management is being paid a boatload of money to tune out the noise and get it done. Blaming the fans for not getting it done is the sign of incompetent management.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Starting your initial thread about Favre was accomplishing just that. You can justify your opinions when they are questioned. And as exhibited by certain people on this board, you can start many threads without being a problem. But when you start a separate thread justifying your opinions from another thread you started (AKA So some people hate my opinions.... ), you are self-serving. LOOK AT ME. It's not against the rules, but call that pig a pig already.

Of course I am tired of mediocrity. You didn't see me bashing you much even though I disagree about your opinion on Favre. I am as frustrated as anyone. We are failing in all three departments, offense defense and STs. I do have patience when it's week 3 with a lot of new personnel on both sides of the ball, but I have been a football fan for a long time, and have played the game, and I know it's too early to throw in the towel when the team has taken the chances it has.

16. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Fair enough, and I see your point.

17. Fester

Fester New Member

You sound tired. Take a nap.

18. Fester

Fester New Member

Be a good little boy and you'll get a new toy, tell grandma you fell off the swing.

19. Fester

Fester New Member

Don't worry, the two of you will place and show after me.

20. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Listening to the fans and media for not getting it done when you know you have to rebuild and gut a team instead of retool it is a sign of Incompetent Management. If whoever we put in charge of mgmt would just say Im going to take the next three years to draft and put together a winner, get a great cap situation and get rid of dead wood we will see results. It took three years to get rid of an obviously done Chad Pennington because of Man love and all the 10's in the stands. Parcells had no problem getting rid of Jason Taylor who is a future Hof but we can't even make decent personnel decions about a washed up Qb. The most important piece on the field.