Brett Favre was a mistake...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Hemi, Sep 22, 2008.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

After a 40 year Lombardi drought, we notice every little thing that goes wrong because we know that all of those little things mixed together usually lead to a failure. We haven't been blessed with the benefit of exciting football to take our minds off of it.

2. abyzmul

Plus, Vinny probably had the opposing team's defensive signals piped into his helmet.

3. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Vinny wouldn't know what they were even if he had them.

4. abyzmul

Do you mean they were color coded back then?

5. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

Breaking the game down and discussing it logically is a lot more constructive than calling for heads to roll after every game and creating dozens of "Look at me!" threads that we have to weed through to find the few good ones. Holy crap people create a lot of useless threads here.

6. abyzmul

There are plenty of threads breaking down the game, maybe you should participate in them. The Look At Me/Doomsday threads exist on every message board where the team isn't owned by the fans or doesn't have a cheating coaching staff.

7. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I don't need to "defend" my point. Anyone that has watched Favre for any amount of time knows he's going to throw in traffic, trusting his arm, even when there is tight coverage. He also is going to throw some balls up for grab every week. This makes for great plays and ugly turnovers. In the last 3 season he's thrown 66 TDs and 62 INTs.

That's what Favre does. Always has and always will. In his own words, "gameplans are overrated"

8. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

too bad wins and Tds are more important! And what about rings? Chad and his stats mean nothing!

9. Phear

Phear New Member

lol the jets lost to a very good football team, the chargers may be 1-2 now but they should be 2-1 and could have been 3-0. all of you saying we should have kept chad are the same ones who bragged about his comp percentage, so far favre has a higher comp percent, higher qb rating and more yards thrown but u still rather have chad? interesting. we were going to start the season 1-2 and we probably wont look sharp until week 6 or 7 so get used to it.

10. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

That's wonderful! And when we finally look sharp after week 6 or 7 and end up with with 6-8 wins and no playoffs,what exactly is was the point when favre retires after this season?

I was pissed on Monday and don't necessarily think favre was a mistake. I think the Jets HAD to get him. The thing is that your argument is like others and kind of makes the signing look stupid. If it's half way through the season before the Favre signing starts to look good,then the signing did absolutely nothing for the future of this team. Odds are he's gone at seasons end.

11. typeOnegative13NY

When both teams are at 1-2,neither does Favres at this point.

What rings do you speak of? Brett hasn't won one here

12. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

We won't have a QB comp between a washed up QB and Ratliff or Clemens. We might draft a franchise QB if one is available? We will have moved on. Bringing in Favre did 3 things, sold PSL's, gave us a chance to find lightning in a bottle and maybe have a great year, and it pushed the team to move on from the Pennington era and squarly put it on management to develop a young QB to play.

13. Phear

Phear New Member

no, the signing was not stupid. but anyone who thought favre was going to come in here so late and start wrecking shop with unfamiliar team mates and a new play book is smoking alot of weed. i still think we'll finish 10-6 and make the wild card but anyone who thought we would be anything better than 1-2 just because we got favre is unrealistic.

14. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Four things actually. If he's on the current roster, delayed the development of that young QB by at least a year or two. :wink:

15. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

bottom line: the defense has sucked with sutton as the coordinator. it has always stunk before the bye week, where our head coach/defensive genius supposedly gets involved.

however, that does not explain why sutton still has a job, nor why the jets defense isn't even in the top half of the league, despite the defensive genius head coach and tons of money spent on it.

that's why i'm leaning to agree with those who say mangini was not qualified for his job. i'm willing to bet rex or rob ryan could do much better with this team as head coach. :wink:

16. Crowder52

Crowder52 New Member

In all seriousness Pennington has been a great addition to the team. Before the season started we had Josh Mccown as the starter and he's by far better than him. He's a good lockeroom guy and is as professional as they come. In regards to the whole Brett Favre thing, he came in midway through TC so it's not surprising he hasn't got the playbook down yet. Once he does i'm sure he will be fine. He didn't lose his ability to play QB overnight....

17. typeOnegative13NY

now that i agree with. that is the best way to look at it.

18. Phear

Phear New Member

wow, even the phin fan realizes this.

19. keypusher

keypusher Member

Amazed this thread is still going. As a Dolphins fan, just wanted to address the Farve-Pennington issue, which takes up a lot of space on this (really terrific) message board.

First, I don't understand it. Pennington's gone. Favre's your QB. If you want to complain about Favre, why not compare him to someone who actually plays for the Jets?

Second, so far this year, after three games, almost-39-year-old Favre is doing a better job of passing than 32-year-old Pennington. The rating difference is significant: 98.7 v. 87.9.

Third, a comparison of career ratings is interesting. In 2002 (his first full year, though he was already 26 years old) Pennington had a rating of 104.2. That's a great feat. Favre has never had a rating of 100 in his whole career. Neither did Warren Moon, or Terry Bradshaw, or tons of great quarterbacks. Even Marino only did it once.

But...2002 aside, Pennington has been over 90 just once. Favre's done it seven times. Last year, Favre's rating was 95.7, Pennington 86.1. That was Favre's best rating since 1995! A lot of people have suggested that was because of the team he had around him, and the "real" Favre was the one we saw in '05 and '06 (70.9, 72.9 respectively). Having seen Marino decline year after year from '95 on, I would have agreed -- until last year. Looking back, he also topped 90 in '03 and '04. People say he's going to revert to INT machine Brett because of the alleged chaos around him, but it's just not showing up in his numbers this year.

Finally, there is the durability issue. Pennington has managed to play 16 games just once. Favre is the most durable player the NFL has ever seen. That brings up the other issue -- the idea that Favre is somehow delaying the development of the next Jets QB. I don't get it. If you hadn't gotten Favre, you would have had a QB competition, and Pennington probably would have won. How would your situation re QBs be different than now? The only difference is, you could pretty much bet that Pennington would get hurt at some point, and you would have to play someone else -- probably your backup, which would just confirm (I would guess) the surmise that he's never going to be a great NFL QB.

Don't get me wrong -- I am thrilled the Dolphins got Pennington. He's a leader, a teacher, and a selfless team player, not to mention a huge upgrade over the QBs we had. The QB you have is better. Hell, he's a legend. Why not enjoy him?

20. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

some assembly required...throwing arm not included.