Kris Jenkins

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WhiteShoeWillis, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Kind of like saying the sun rose in the east again.

2. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

haaahah. I hope we never let that die.

3. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

this is good news

In other injury news, nose tackle Kris Jenkins didn't appear to be favoring his back, which kept him out for most of the game Monday night. The run-stopping veteran ran through agility and defensive line drills without incident, and Mangini also anticipates him playing against the Cardinals.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3606598

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

While this is great news, I wonder how one could favor there back? I mean, I know he's a huge guy but does he actually have two backs so that he could favor one of them?

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hahaha, yeah, sometimes I wonder if they require writers to have a strong background in the English language.

6. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

lol yeah us people in "the uk' know very little about football my bad!!

7. Borntolose

Borntolose New Member

This is my first time posting here I've read this message board for a long time. I was thinking since Kris Jenkins is the most important player to the Jets defense and without him they can't stop a high school running back why don't the Jets take a look at bringing in Ted Washignton or some other monster NT for a tryout. I know Washignton is 40 but hes a good insurance plan for this season and when Kenkins gets winded you could bring him in for a few snaps and not give up 7 yards per carry on the ground. Washington is very familiar with the 3-4 and is the ideal NT weighing 350 plus and can take up multiple blockers. Idk just a thought I had what does everyone think?

8. DCanadian

DCanadian Active Member

The fact that he's practicing is great news. They probably held him out of the Chargers game as a precaution since the game was out of hand pretty early on. My only worry is that these back problems tend to linger, especially for a big man like Jenkins.

9. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

favoring your back..i would guess that the way he was standing, stretching, moving etc you could tell...ever have a bad back and have to sit or stand one way to help with the pain?

10. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I see he played in Cleveland last year, went out with a knee injury.

It does not say if he is still a Brown. I would guess not.

#90 Hemi, Sep 24, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

WikiSkyNet is calling him a free agent at the moment.

12. ReD LiNe

ReD LiNe New Member

What I want to know is, how can the Cowboys run a 3-4 so well, with linemen who weigh around 300 LBS. not to mention their NT, but then the Jets sub in Pouha for Jenkins who is 325 at NT, and he gets blasted off of the line?

13. ukilledkenny

tank williams is better than pouha comes to mind immediately

14. ReD LiNe

ReD LiNe New Member

But the weight difference is almost 30 pounds or so, wouldn't that make a difference at all?

15. ukilledkenny

i wouldn't know, i have no idea how much weight actually matters and how much it is just something these scouts and coaches have a hard on for.

but obviously it works for the cowboys, maybe we should spy on them and learn how to play it correctly

16. dbatesman

dbatesman New Member

The Cowboys use Wade Phillips' one-gap penetrating 3-4, which is different from the Jets, who use a two-gap read-and-react 3-4.

The main difference is that in the one-gap system, the DL penetrates and attacks, while in the two-gap system, they maintain gap integrity (hold their ground and occupy blockers) while the LBs make all of the plays.

That explanation makes it sound like our system is passive and the Phillips system is aggressive, but that's really not true; NE runs a 2-gap system to perfection. Needless to say, however, we don't have the DL horses that they do. I'd love to see us combine some more attacking/one-gap stuff into our scheme.

17. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Great news!

18. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

Excellent description of the two 3-4 systems.

Since the two gappers have to hold their ground, they must be much larger than penetrating 3-4 DL. That's why the Jets have 300 lb DE and a 360 lb NT. It's great if you have the beef on the line (NE, Pittsburgh, soon to be Miami). But the scheme falls apart if your NT doesn't have the size and strength to demand double teams every play. Pouha sure didn't show that on Monday.

19. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

Good stuff. Sometimes you can read endless trash in threads and then come over a great insightful nugget with superb knowlege of the technique and variations which highlights why we love this game so much.

20. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Yep read down in this link & you will clearly see Jenkins himself confirms he had previous back problems

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/blog/