Brett Favre was a mistake...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Hemi, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Again, this is a worthy sentiment, but it overlooks THE WAY the Jets lost. That is what concerns me, not just the record.

But, if they win this Sunday, different story.

2. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

check my previous post

3. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

So why in response to my opinions are you always making it a Phinz thing?? It's as if you're making fun of the Phinz{my team}, as a means of assuming your logic {being a Jets fan}, is more accurate than mine could be....

You've done it twice now, and it's obvious to me that anything a Phinz fan might have to say, is worthless to you in regards to having an objective / unbiased opinion...

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Why on gods green earth would a fin fan "hate to say" that a move the Jets made isn't working out well? That simply doesn't make sense to me. That was the only reason I said that and the rest of my response was completely unrelated.

I love it when the fins fail in any way. Don't be fake.

Your opinion may have nothing to do with your loyalties, and I didn't consider that in thinking it was silly. I'd say the same thing to Jets fans if they said what you did.

5. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

Same old Jets,,,no

Same old Jets fans...yes.

Bailing after three games...so typical.

Going in..I knew this team wouldn't be great..but damn if I'm going to give up after three games.

Blitzkrieg..how in the world can you say Brett LOOKS like he's second-guessing himself? Do you know him that well?

Look this was a bad fit to begin with. Tirico called it best on his radio show on Monday. The Jets have no receivers who can get separation ala Greg Jennings, so you're going to see alot of improvisation. Look for Stuckey to see more time, because Brett seems able to find him when things breaks down. It would also help if the offensive line would block, especially considering how much money was laid out this past offseason.

This season is what it is. Monday night, the Chargers exposed the Jets defense more than they showed Brett's limitations. Not getting a solid DB to play on the other side Revis is going to hurt for a while. I think Lowery would have been a better nickel back in nthe beginning. To me, the LBs looked slow. And the D-line was pathetic. It looked like the front five of San Diego mjust ate them up.

This team looks like a work in progress.

#345 SouthBayJetsfan4life, Sep 24, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  6. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Favre has had 3 full games along with 2 during preseason to learn the playbook and to become in synch with the receivers.

I think he'll still make a few mistakes this coming Sunday, but we'll eek a W out of it and head into the BYE week at .500.

Then we can start over, and Favre would have had plenty of time by then to begin doing what he does best... win games for the team.

7. ThisIsTheYear

ThisIsTheYear New Member

The problem is not the CBs as both Rhodes and Revis are pretty good.

The problem is not the QB as Brett is miles ahead of Chad "the bade" Pennington

The problem is not the wide recievers as Cotchery and Coles have both proven to be capable recievers in this league.

The problem is not the O-Line as we have a ton of studs

The problem is these 3 following things.....LB, DL, and HEAD COACH.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

1. Rhodes is a safety
    2. WTh does Chad "the bade" Pennington mean?
    3. Coles has been horrible this season, worst he has ever played
    4. The OLine filled with studs has been mediocre at best so far
    5. LB?? that s one of our stronger units right now
    6. DL? The run D has been as good as I have seen from the Jets in years, if Jenkins back injury linger then we are in trouble.
    7. HC & CS I can agree with you at this point.

Hey one out of seven isn't that bad.

9. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

First off, I didn't call the first interception anything. You are the person referencing it.

If you didn't see Favre throw at least two more balls that could have been picked Sunday, you're not watching the game. Obviously every int is not a a ball thrown up for grabs, but alot are. In fact alot of Favre's best plays are balls he throws up for grabs. Stucki's TD in the first game comes to mind...

10. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by johnny
    Originally Posted by CJLang
    you have to be worried about the way Favre throws it up for grabs constantly.

If you take a look at the INT it was probably a ball that shouldn't have been thrown. Coles was definitely covered on that play and Favre had no business throwing the ball towards Coles in that situation. Also, if you look at his mechanics on that play they were terrible. Favre was going backward (almost as if was cringing - expecting to get hit) as he's trying to throw the ball for no reason. And there was nobody really near him - the guy coming at Favre was about five yards away. Look the loss can't be thrown at Favre's feet, but that first INT wasn't his finest pass.

I have watched the tape multiple times (even in slow motion). That pass was definitely not tipped. And if you do look at the tape you will see that the unblocked linebacker was at least three yards from Favre when the ball is released. Favre is between the 41 and 42 yard line (falling backward) and the LB was at the 45 yard line.

IMHO passing to a guy that was covered was not a smart move in that situation. Especially if the gain would have been about 2-3 yards. I'm not trying to crucify Favre, but htat was an ill-advised pass.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I agree that it was an ill-advised pass but, Favre does that. He's done it his whole career. He tries to make passes that no one else would even dream of trying and he gives his receivers and opportunity to make plays. Coles had an opportunity to make a play on that ball but didn't. Cromartie made a great play to get the INT.

12. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

When you think about it, Favre is really just a slightly more mobile Vinny. He was on a better team when he was young that won the Super Bowl, and he's a southern, more media-friendly good old boy, while Vinny is a serious New Yorker, but their games aren't drastically different. Either one could throw you into or out of a game quickly.

13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Oh, jesus, thanks a lot. That makes me feel so much better.

14. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Hey, Vinny was a great QB for us. I'll take a Vinny-like performance from Favre.

15. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

Good post. I agree. All this negativity and finger pointing does nothing and to be honest its just sickening to read. Why even watch sports if people are going to piss an moan about every little thing that goes wrong?
    Like I said before this team has a lot of talent and I believe they can put it all together and start winning some games. Obviously sooner is better than later but I realize these things take time. Favre's been preaching chemistry since he first arrived. I don't think that point can be stressed enough. The team is lacking it right now but hopefully they can develop it during the next few games.

16. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

You're not doing a good job of defending your point by referencing Stuckey's TD grab against Miami. Does 4th and long ring a bell to you?

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You are going to hate this and every other Jets message board if that's how you feel. Jets fans don't know what to do if they aren't pissing and moaning about every little thing that goes wrong.

18. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

Very true...and the more power to us. We care about our team and we want to win. And when we dont (always) we complain. Its better than not caring

19. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Just look at the Washington Redskins of years back. Buying all high priced free agents, and nothing good comes of it.
    They're not playing in sync

20. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Good post. One thing I loved about Vinny was he was much more of a classic drop back QB who threw the ball downfield stepping up in the pocket. Favre has a great arm and quick release but he was schooled in the WCO from day 1and is much more of a short passing game QB who gets the ball to WR very fast mostly backing up or stepping sideways. I think that's one of the reasons he gets picked going down field so much.

When Vinny came to us he wasn't asked to change what he did and he was surrounded by unbelivable coaching, particularly on the offensive side of the ball. It's not surprising how well he did with that team.

Favre is in a much different situation with a young staff who really doesn't have the experience or the sucess to either know how to use Favre properly or get him to make some subtle changes that might make a huge difference.

As much as Favre is a gunslinger, he really isn't a drop back throw it down the field gunslinger, he is a WCO gunslinger which is a little different breed than Vinny. Hopefully our D will come around and Favre will get it together with the WR and we still have a great season.

#360 winstonbiggs, Sep 24, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2008