Brett Favre was a mistake...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Hemi, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

He does? Looked like he had tons of time last night. The last TD he threw he must have had 8-9 seconds. Three sacks on 42 attempts isn't bad at all.

2. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Yeah I heard that stat lastnight during the game and man...I don't see it changing any time soon. Favre is going to score us some points. We need to get our secondary in order. We've been beat by the passing game in all 3 games. Actually game 2 was more of a special teams issue, but still Cassell was moving the ball on us.

Bob Sutton sucks. Shotty Sucks. If Mangini sticks with them he sucks too. I love Mangini's style of teaching and learning, but the guys under him are not working out, so that makes him ultimately responsible.

Fuck, Give Callahan the offense.

3. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

You didn't know that Pennington was going to have numbers like 79 for 83 with 230 yards and 56 points?

4. keypusher

keypusher Member

Dolphin fan here...first post.

1. This is a really impressive message board. Lots of activity, lots of knowledgeable people. A little too much angst. The Jets got beaten by a very good team last night, certainly one of the better 0-2 teams you'll ever see.

2. Re the Miami-NE game, don't sell Pennington short. Miami was not running well for most of the first half. He was the bulk of the offense. He was very accurate, hitting guys in the numbers 15-25 yards past the line of scrimmage.

3. That said, with poor pass-blocking, no running game and our lousy wideouts, he was ineffective against the Cards. Probably anyone would have been, but no Jets fan who saw that game would have missed Pennington.

4. I think he's a great pickup for us. He's a huge upgrade over what we had, he's smart, he's a leader, the team seems to really respond to him. But physically, he's no Brett Favre, even at Favre's current age.

5. I think the decision to get Favre was ultimately a commercial one, driven by PSLs. From the team standpoint, it was a gamble. Very, very few people can play NFL QB well -- or at all -- at Favre's age. But based on what I've seen (the Miami game, and some of last night's game), it's way too early for Jets fans to panic.

5. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

Guilty as charged ;)

6. Italian Seafood

There's always the Herm method of buying yourself another year by throwing one or both coordinators under the bus. That could happen.

Hopefully the plan is not for Favre to have to rescue us from 14-point defecits, that was always my argument when people put that knock on Chad--it's not a winning gameplan. Our D needs to step up but also to not have their back against the wall the minute they walk on the field due to turnovers or shanked punts.

7. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

To early to say this. Sorry, he's gonna be fine. I thought they started to click a little in the 4th qtr. We knew it was gonna take time so why bail now?

8. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

Nice, well reasoned post. Welcome. To add to your last point, the Q is, can Favre get acclimated before it's time for him to retire for real (when he really starts to lose it?)? That is the measure of the football value of the trade. Measuring it by W-L record of these first three games is ... naive.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Last I checked Favre is a Jet. Pennington is not. The deal is done and over with, so maybe it's the people still infatuated with Pennington that need to get over him and not the other way around.

This is a work in progress. Anyone with half a brain didn't expect him to come out and play lights out from the start. He's actually played better than I would have expected so far. I was expecting a ton of INT's in weeks 2 & 3.

10. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

What was scary last night is when Jenkins went down we had no chance on D we just sucked on D from that point on.

I don't see this season as over right now we could well turn this around by beating Arizona and making a lot of improvements during the bye. Mangini is also on the wire and could loss this team if they don't get it together quickly.

11. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Yes I did not include the CS in my post since it is so obvious that they are on a totally different planet then BF.

As for the season being over well I do not know if it can be turned around. Can Brick learn not to get knocked on his ass & run block? Can Moore learn ot pass & run block? Same goes for Faneca? Can we stop the run with no Jenkins? Can we pass rush with no Jenkins? Can we even play D with no Jenkins? Are the WRs all of a sudden gong to get speed injections that will make them shoot by defenders? Can Man gain 10 years of FB experience in one day? Where are we going to find a RB? Questions, questions that all important & need to be answered before you can say we even have a chance of turning around this season

As for Jenkins his history is his back & bingo 2.2 games into his NYJ career it reoccurs. To go into the season with that type of unreliable NG is certainly not wise management on the GM & CS parts. It is no different then 8 roster slots being held by 2 punters, 2 FGKs & 4 QBs. I'm sure you know BF sees all these things to go along with what I posted & is already saying boy oh boy I cannot wait for this season to end so I can say adios to the total incompentence of the NYJs

#151 championjets69, Sep 23, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  12. WhiteShoeWillis

I don't think Jenkins has ever had a back injury prior to yesterday.

13. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

That was simply a wrong stat, one of many I heard last night from this atrocious MNF crew. They had some real head scratchers the first week for the GB-MIN game too. You only have to go back to Favre's most recent (last) victory as a Packer (!!!) -- playoff win against Seahawks, before their loss to Giants -- to find a game that he led the Pack to a win from 14 down. Here's the box score if you want to confirm for yourself Pack was down by 14 in that game:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=280112009

There was at least one other clear misstatement in the game you might have picked up. The first time the Jets went for 2, the announcers said it was the first time the Jets were trying for 2 this season. Of course I don't need to tell any real Jets fans here about the infamous 2 point conversion attempt the first week, due to Nugent leg problems.

14. championjets69

I think U ought to look up his history with the Panthers

15. championjets69

What D are U talking about? The one that gave up 3rd down conversion after 3rd down conversion in the 1st qtr with Jenkins in the game or the D that got totally gashed after Jenkins left the game?

16. WhiteShoeWillis

Traded by Carolina to the New York Jets in exchange for 2008 third- and fifth-round draft choices (2/29/08)...Placed on injured reserve by Carolina with an injured right knee (9/14/05)...Placed on injured reserve by Carolina with an injured left shoulder (10/13/04)...Signed to contract extension by Carolina (10/1/03)...Selected by Carolina in the second round (44th overall) of the 2001 NFL Draft (4/21/01).

http://www.panthers.com/Team/playerbio.aspx?id=7568

17. championjets69

Yep B4 that it was his back because he was to heavy

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I guess all Jet fans are appearing a bit edgy today at best. In the case of Chad Fans, though, it comes out in a particularly nauseous fashion.

Interesting the MNF crew got that stat wrong about Favre comebacks. Of course you remember the last time Chad led a team back from even 10 points down in the last twenty minutes? I don't. It may have been in 02.

19. Italian Seafood

I had a feeling, that's why I mentioned it. Yes, they were obviously wrong about the 2-point conversion and even the commentators seemed stunned about the Favre stat. Maybe they don't count playoff games but I'm sure over 17 years there had to be a couple.

20. Italian Seafood

Where do you see that, champ? Did you hear it on ESPN during draft day again when nobody else did?