D'Brick had another solid outing

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WhiteShoeWillis, Sep 16, 2008.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You draft a tackle with the 4th overall pick, he should be able to pass block and run block well, both.

2. Than blame the jets brass and virtually every NFL scouting circuit that exists..bc the year Brick came out, no one believed he'd ever be anything more than an average run blocker. He was highly rated overall b/c of his upside to pass protect against the growing number of freakish speed rushers. He's well on his way to be a top 10 pass protector in this league..possibly even top 5. A top 5 blindside pass protector is a major asset in the NFL..and IMO is well worth the 4th overall pick.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Who else is there to blame? The evidence is on the field. I know you like to defend every first round pick we take, but you need to choose your battles wisely, because Brick gets handled in the run game all the time. It's why our run game suffered so much without Kendall and why it's starting to get better again with Faneca. He needs a pulling guard next to him to give him help with run blocking. A #4 overall tackle should be able to handle his responsibilities.

4. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

A lot of the time, what seems obvious isn't. We do not know what the protections being called are. He might have had a decent year last year. He had to cover for Adrien Clarke, the worst guard in NFL history

5. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Right, the fact that Brick played with Bender and Montgomery beside him last season has nothing to do with why the run game struggled.

Blame Mangold too then. We don't just run off tackle left, and the whole running game sucked last season, not just when we went to Brick's side.

Ferguson is consistently top notch when pass protecting so far this season, and I think he has been above average in the running game. Unfortunately, people who want to shit on his performance week after week tend to notice when he doesn't make his block on certain plays and don;t bother to comment on the guys who were supposed to block the other defensive players that were in on the tackle.

6. flgreen

flgreen New Member

Great job in proving your point that Brick had a good game, but you wasted a lot of effort.

You could get Seymore to come on here and say it himself, and these trolls would still just keep on running their mouths.

Remember if you don't feed the trolls they will go away

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

It was something I wanted to do, so I don't consider it a wasted effort at all. I'll probably continue to do it throughout the season so long as the replay is available on sunday ticket.

You're right about the trolls though, I've given up with them.

8. KSJets

KSJets New Member

So what's your reasoning on why Seattle's running game suffered after Hutchinson left? Surely Walter Jones should have been able to singlehandedly carry that OL, right?

9. JetsLookingforDWare

Agreed.

So...can we stop running off of 3-4 year old scouting reports? D'Brick's been a way better run blocker each and every year.

I really have no idea WTF it is you guys expect from players. Do you think that just because he was the 4th overall pick we should see him on every play pancaking defender after defender? What do you really want?

10. JetsLookingforDWare

What you don't realize is that as the 4th overall pick he should be able to dominate everyone in the league. And he should have been doing it from Day 1. And he should have been able to make up for everyones shitty play, because early picks are usually magical that way.

Thats how the draft works isn't it?

11. JetsLookingforDWare

Throw in Orlando Pace + rest of the Rams O-line. If Pace was as good as "they" say he is, the Rams would have the top OL in the NFL.

Guess he's not a HOF afterall.

12. I dont defend every single first round pick. I've been critical of Gholston thus far...although have indicated he needs more time to develop, I was never a fan of the BT pick and I gave up on Santana Moss after 3 years of hype and no substance.

Not to mention 95 % of O-lineman are flawed in some way. That's why you need to find 5 guys who compliment eachother well and can perform as a unit. Your argument about Faneca can be applied vice versa. Faneca has struggled a bit in pass protection thus far and has benefitted by playing next Brick who has been outstanding in that facet.

13. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Eat it bitches

14. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Oh well no takers as I wanted to resurrect Broadway Brett's fine thread. Was watching him and he did extremely well in pass protection again. This line has the makings of a very good pass protecting line, anchored by B-Brick, go figure for a complete bust, he is playing damn good.

#134 Miamipuck, Sep 29, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  15. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

lol - i'm looking forward to doing his play-by-play this week. I missed the first quarter of todays game, luckily they waited for the second quarter to light it the fuck up.

I'll probably just be disgusted with more material that proves him bust worthy.

16. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Your writeup should be great. Unfortunately, a game where he gave up zero sacks is going to do little to quell the bust label. Lmao

#136 Miamipuck, Sep 29, 2008
  17. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Looking forward to your writeup

18. JetsLookingforDWare

Fixed.

Shows why you sit back and realize the guys you draft need time to develop. Few players are the players they are when they enter the league, and high first round picks are simply guys who are extremely like to be extremely good when they break out. D'Brick is doing that right now. He's going to be a top pass blocker, and he'll ony get better as a run blocker.

19. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I agree. 99% of the people here forget what a lack of a pass protecting LT gets you (see 2005 and the QB carcasses) and/or have no clue about the role of an LT.

Anyway, Brick was decent in pass protecting when he came into the league. From all accounts he works his freaking ass off in every aspect to become a better player. Also, the front office finally realized that he is just one part of a cohesive unit and got Faneca/Woddy. That has all helped Brick.

In short I can live with average run blocking as Brick will never be the dual guy like Pace or Ogden. Shit Walter Jones, a similar player to Brick, is having his troubles without Hutchinson the all-world guard next to him.

Fact of the matter is Brick has been very good so far, especially in pass protection. If this is a year he can build on, as he is getting bigger and stronger plus the O-line is gelling somewhat, he is going to be pretty damn good. We all know he will never shed the bust label though......

#139 Miamipuck, Sep 29, 2008
  20. JetsLookingforDWare

I hope we get a young G prospect to develop behind Faneca. Theres some great ones with Andre Smith (IMO an elite G and T propsect), Johnson, and Robinson in this draft.

It'd be cool as hell to have someone next to D'Brick for a long time...no offense to Faneca or anything.

#140 JetsLookingforDWare, Sep 29, 2008