Zebras to the rescue

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KiLLaH87, Sep 14, 2008.

1. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

I'm still trying to figure the PI on Cotchery...I thought it was two players going for the ball.

The Pace roughing the passer was awful...Stunning.

2. 40yrpatsfan

40yrpatsfan Member

The roughing call was because of helmet to helmut contact. It wasn't because it was late. Borderline imo.

On the offensive PI, the receiver pulled the db's left shoulder back at the last minute, which is what caused him to fall. Good call.

Pats beat the Jets every which way. It wasn't a close game decided by an official. It was pretty much a beat-down. Jets aren't there yet.

3. NewestJetFan

NewestJetFan New Member

Yeah there was no intent and it was a bad break but there was helmet to helmet, they showed that pretty clear on the big screen I was watching and in today's NFL that's enough. Tough result though.

4. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by plasticsloth
    that wasn't that bullshit to me. What sent me over the edge was the roughing call on calvin pace when Vrabel has taken multiple cheap shots on favre well after the play

Actually Vrabel hit (on Favre on the play that the Jets converted on third and 22) was worse in two respects:

1) He took at least an extra step (if not two) after Favre throws the ball.

2) He didn't do anything to try and soften the blow and actually pushed Favre down pretty hard.

Sure Pace did hit Cassel in the helmet, but it was clear from the replay that he did let up. Half the time whether or not it's helmet to helmet on these type of plays is based on how the QB reacts, not necessarily on the way the the defenseman's helmet it positioned. IMHO the Vrabel play gets called as a penalty 80% of the time.

5. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I did not see the helmet to helmet contact. I must have been focusing on lower portions of my TV screen.
    Even if so, the Adams hit on Ryan was much worse. The consistency with referees is just not there these days in the NFL.

6. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Good point. I've seen these things called differently all the time. That is probably what gets fans so upset. They see something called a certain way, then the next time they see it... well

7. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

You missed the Seahawks game when O'Sullivan was speared while sliding and no call against Seattle.

Throw in the way the Chargers got screwed and the NFL should be ashamed of their officiating crews.

THe Jets didn't lose beacuse of the refs but they certainly didn't get any help. There is no way New England commited 1 penalty for 5 yards.

8. Barry the Baptist

Really wasn't a close game? The Jets should have punched it in when they had the ball 1st and goal and ran 3 consecutive pussy plays. They also missed a FG which is 10 points. You subtract the FG they made and it's 19-17. Pretty dam clse.

9. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I missed the O'Sullivan play.

The Cutler fumble/blown whistle call was terrible (even though I liked how it helped the Broncos because I wanted them to win).

I hate when refs blow their whistles when plays are not over. It is one of my biggest pet peeves about the sport. We even saw it in the Jets game on one of the Stuckey receptions. Look at Super Bowl 42. Finally there was one time when the refs didn't blow a play dead and look what happened- the Tyree catch.

Don't blow the whistles until the play is over, refs! C'mon.

I think there's a chance Gaines Adams will get fined for his hit on Ryan. We'll have to keep an eye on that this week.

10. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by RichMiano
    You missed the Seahawks game when O'Sullivan was speared while sliding and no call against Seattle.

Throw in the way the Chargers got screwed and the NFL should be ashamed of their officiating crews.

THe Jets didn't lose beacuse of the refs but they certainly didn't get any help. There is no way New England commited 1 penalty for 5 yards.

Especially with instant replay the refs should be more cautious with calling plays dead ( the replay can "stop" the play if not called in time on the field). I'd agree with you two that the Chargers really got screwed today. That call on the Cutler play was really atrocious.

11. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I didn't like the offensive PI.. other than that, they were fair enough.

It was helmet to helmet. Ridiculous, sure.. but it was what it was.

#51 GBA, Sep 14, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  12. Barry the Baptist

I used to think it was Gary Bettman but more and more I'm convinced Roger Goodell is the worst commissioner in sports. The fact that the NFL still uses part time employees to officiate football games. That's like Washington sending some intern to Israel to discuss a peace treaty with Palestine..... just plain stupid.

Your point about replay is spot on. Why blow the whistle when there was a chance the ball could have been a fumble? And for the replay eqiupment to be broken? What sort of stupid rule is it to give them 2 minutes to fix it? That may be even worse than the tuck rule.

13. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

I normally don't get upset at the penalties called. However, I just got home from the game and I have to rant on it. It was blatantly favored to the Pats, as it always is in the NFL games. Its simply not right. Some teams always get the calls. I understand that "you make your own luck" etc etc. However, the Cotchery play was completely bullshit. That play really turned around the game. The Jets would have had tons of momentum, but no. It gets overturned, they get backed up, and Favre throws a pick on the next play.

It is unreal.

14. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

the refs DID NOT cost us this game.

what pisses me off more than anything is that, regarding the PI, time and time again Moss pushes off and never ever gets called for it; Cotchery battles it out in what could have just as easily been a no-call, and he's flagged without question on a crucial play at a crucial time.

15. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

somebody needs to put that cheapshot artist Mike Vrabel in the hospital....how that guy didn't get flagged today is beyond me.

16. Gloom N Doom

Gloom N Doom Member

It looked benign but it was helmet to helmet and that is always going to be called now.

17. Gloom N Doom

Gloom N Doom Member

I hate to have to agree.
    As soon as I saw the play I said, "offensive PI".

18. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Is anyone shocked though? The NFL loves the Patriots. They always get those calls. They were horrible calls but the Patriots always are on the winning end of them.

19. CleanFernandez

CleanFernandez New Member

omg the cotchery play was ridicolous if u look at the replay he was clearly going for the ball, what do the refs want him to do not go for it? What a dumb call that was

20. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

-Stuckey's knee hit the gorund and then Stuckey got up which was why he was hit.

-I still haven't seen the Pace hit.

-The clock starts once the ball is spotted unless it's an incomplete pass so there was nothing wrong w/ that.

The problem I havd was Cotch was practically tackled in the 1st half w/ no call then we have a close play in the 3rd and they call him for Offensive PI. That was an absolute game changer.