Cassel can't be good right?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrankieJetFavreFan, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

He's going to be nervous. He's making his first start in almost forever...and even though he probably knows the offense very well, he's going to get hit...a lot. He should be nervous and Mangini will turn up the heat to makes things worse for this kid.

The pressure is building. He has to take over for the league's best QB and start for one of the best team's in the league. If he makes ONE mistake, he's screwed, right?

2. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

Right on target with that post. Belichick sees something in this guy just like he did with Brady, and that is what scares me.

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

^ Yeah you're giving the guy too much credit. I wouldn't say he sucks or he's good yet however, I would take into consideration the intangibles MrElectric mention. He's on the road against a divisional rival, making his first start in forever.

Yes, he was a USC QB behind two other future NFL starters, but USC perennially produces NFL players in several positions so throwing the ball to WRs who end up on NFL teams, who run their routes on DBs who end up "packing groceries" is a big difference. Look at Leinart, the guy is lost. That said, I'd say Cassel certainly has the tools to be good, physically, coaching...but not yet.

However, that said, this is still the PATRIOTS. If the Jets make mistakes, the Pats will capitalize and that's what I'm worried about, OUR MISTAKES not their mistakes.

4. Brien O'Ken

Brien O'Ken Member

Maybe this is wishful thinking, but anybody else wonder if maybe Moss' abilities and dominance decrease with Cassel as the starting QB instead of Brady? Think about it - Moss is arguably among the most talented WR's in NFL history, but he was most definitely NOT a star with Oakland! His play is perenially dictated by his motivation. If he decides he's on a crappy team with no potential (ie: Oakland [sorry Jeaux]), he doesn't show up. If he decides he's on a dominant team, he becomes a superstar. Maybe (again, wishful thinking and all) he decides there's such a drop-off with Cassel, there's a QB who won't be able to effectively get him the ball, and he decides to stop playing.

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Moss will not be as effective.. he'll look more like the Raider Moss, but a version that the Raiders wish they got- if that makes any sense.

Cassel nearly overthrew Moss on that one TD. If he throws that to any other WR, its an incompletion. The knock on Cassel is that his throws sail upward in mid air, which means if he overthrows the TE over the middle, someone might be there to pick it off.

6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Hahaha, sometimes I dunno about you. I understand what you mean though.

7. themasochist

themasochist New Member

All we need to do is blitz the ever living hell out of him and he will fold like a cheap lawn chair. Put 10 in the box and dare him to beat us deep. Revis and Rhodes and Lowery are good enough to control any major damage.

8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Moss owned Revis 1 on 1 last year. Revis has grown, but he can't cover Moss solo.

9. themasochist

themasochist New Member

Moss only owned Revis because Brady was making the throws and our pass rush stunk.

2008 is a different animal.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

he owned him in week 1, not the other game.

and he barely owned him then... I think Braylon Edwards has more success on Revis than Moss.

11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Ok ok, I will concede to your pass rush argument. No one can hold coverage for 10 seconds.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Just for the record: Matt Cassell was drafted to be a sign stealer in the Belichik cheating system. The Pats wanted a smart, savvy guy who had been around teams in high pressure games before and they wanted one who could think on his feet and do the job even when things got tight.

I'm sure Belichik was looking at Cassell as a potential coach down the road and wanted somebody who was fluent in his entire system, both the legal and illegal parts of it.

Cassell's job was to pick up the defensive signals and relay them quickly to the offensive coordinator, standing next to him and then the OC would relay them to the QB using the mic in the QB's helmet who only he would have the ability to speak to.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/05/15/ST2008051503746.html

"Walsh, a former Patriots video assistant who made the comments to HBO, said that when the Patriots implemented the program at the outset of the 2000 season, a backup quarterback would learn the opponent's play signals from the tapes and would stand next to Charlie Weis, then the team's offensive coordinator, on the sideline to pass along the defensive play call. Weis then would relay that information, along with the Patriots' offensive play call, to quarterback Drew Bledsoe."

13. Farva

Farva New Member

he COULD be good....he is in the NFL....everyone sometime or another shits and hits the target.....but imo (coming from a dolfan).....he will blow ass, and NE will be 1-1 looking for a fill-in next monday

14. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

Oh come on, lets just stop this crap. Cassell SUCKS!!! You guys seen him in pre-season and pre-seasons passed? He is HORRIBLE!!

15. nyj55

nyj55 Member

kevin o'connell is the guy i would be worried about more than than Career Backup Cassell. BB really must have seen something in this kid to spend (i believe) a 3rd rounder on him last year. Look for him possibly after the bye if Cassell stinks up the joint

16. Grogan

Grogan Banned

Matt Cassel is not the second coming of Tom Brady, that said B.B is no fool and wouldn't have the kid as a Back up for 3 years for nothing, your in for a shock on Sunday. The fact that you even mention "pre -season football" shows how little you understand about football.

17. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

Oh gotcha, Pre-season doesn't count. The fact that this guy throws INTs to 2nd and 3d stringers means nothing?

What should I judge him on... NFL starts?... Well that's ZERO.... what about College starts?.. .Yep... another ZERO! I guess we can go back to Highschool.... HIGHSCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think everyone is giving BB a little too much credit. Like they've never been wrong about a player before or something. Too much losing to the Pats has pussified our fans.

Only way we lose this game is if we don't stop the run, period.

18. Farva

Farva New Member

he came in against the dolphins last season in miami, cause new england was raping us a new one....and he dropped back, and threw a touch down to jason taylor....he was immediatley pulled for tommy boy......so yeah.....hes garbage

19. Grogan

Grogan Banned

You better hope your right, because Jet fans will never live down losing to a QB that hasn't started a game since High School. :rofl:

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

if the Jets lose we lost to the entire Pats team, unless Cassel throws for 350 yards and 3 TDs.

If he throws the ball less than 20 times, and the running game and defense win.. Cassel didn't do shit.