Who will be the 2008 Jets Captains?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JCAMPS, Sep 2, 2008.

1. VeniVidiViridis

VeniVidiViridis New Member

2. 624

624 Banned

Chris Baker

3. The GM

The GM New Member

I think it was a mistake not to vote Coles a captain. With everything he's gone thru this offseason he needed something positive heading into the regular season...I hope he doesn't take it personally, cuz knowing him it sure is a possibility.

I can understand why though since Coles did act out and he didn't play in the preseason so Favre and Faneca were busy leading the offense physically and verbally.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The players voted, apparently the guys that were acting like Captains were Favre and Faneca.

5. Bigoljetairliner28

Bigoljetairliner28 New Member

No... people keep getting this wrong... you DO NOT cater to whiny Coles and make him a captain... that sets a very bad example... your Captain needs to exude qualities the OPPOSITE of sulking, refusing to talk to media, not being happy with team decisions. I like Coles and respect his game... but am very pleased with him not being a Captain... plus its voted for by the Players and they are voting for guys that will NOT put their own selfish feelings first. They're voting for guys who can excel at being Team Leaders.
    Cheers to Favre, Faneca, Washington, Bowens, Ellis and Rhodes. Well deserved.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Actually, all 6 are class acts. Good decision on each.

7. IATA

IATA Trolls

Quoted For Truth.

8. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Should be Favre/Faneca/Ellis/Rhodes

9. nyjetsguy

nyjetsguy New Member

Players voted and the captains are as follows:
    Offense: Favre/Faneca
    Defense: Rhodes/Ellis
    Special Teams: Washington/Bowens

10. Bigoljetairliner28

Bigoljetairliner28 New Member

Ya I thought I was making that clear, lol... good choices. Bring on the Dolphins!

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You are saying that the Jets players voted wrong on who the captains should be? Do you live in the locker room?

12. chetsjets16

chetsjets16 New Member

why the hell is coles not a captain..he has been a leader on this team every year he has been here. I understand Favre being a captain because he is Brett Favre but, Alan Faneca? I have not heard anything about his leadership on this team. Coles has played through injury year in and year out for this team. He deserves to be a captain. I have no issues with the other choices

13. Coach K

Coach K New Member

if you want to know about Faneca's leadership ask the 4 other guys who play with him and whose performance decides if this offense sinks or swims.

you dont hear about Faneca because hes a lineman. youll see a puff piece on brick or mangold occassionally cuz they were both 1st rd picks in the same year. but OL function as a unit and the fact Faneca was voted in means that the rest of the team can see the impact hes left on his unit already.

I love Coles to death, but if the players who so rightfully elected him every year didnt elect him this year its because they made that decision. maybe if we played football for the Jets we could understand why.

ill trust they made the right choices

14. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I am sure many of you have been on sports teams before so my question is how the hell can fans pick a Captain? Maybe Coles is being whiny and pouty in team meetings like he appears to be doing. I used the word appears because the beat writers sure make sound as such but we will never really know the true story unless one without an agenda provides it to us. Sometimes it is outwardly apparent who a Captain may be, sometimes not.

Looking at those picks you can not say any of them are bad picks. Shit, I have no idea how they help the players around them and/or the attitude they bring to the huddle.

For instance, I would have thought Harris would be a team Capt. but man I was wrong, ditto for Mangold. Who knows what goes on inside the locker room.

#34 Miamipuck, Sep 3, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  15. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Bowens is surprising...the rest all make total sense.

Rhodes and Ellis are our two defensive mainstays...total Jets and total vets with long-term vested interest in the team. Hollywood and the Silent Thunder.

As soon as Faneca got here, there were stories about how he took over the O line...even rumors of changing line calls to his system. Favre is a natural choice. I'm glad he decided to play with us for at least a year.

I have a feeling Leon's a vocal guy, and the team loves him as evidenced by his MVP award last year. One of my favorites. Bowens looks to have stepped it up a notch. I see some exciting things from him this year. Who knew he was Captain material? Good for him.

Like has been said before, we really have no idea what goes on in the locker room, but there are clues...this being a big one i think. What for if we can't speculate on a message board?

16. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

If we didn't have 2 40-y.o. HOFers on offense, I'm sure Coles would be a captain. The players don't "cater" to his whining.. they pick who they think can best lead the team. Coles is a passionate athlete and is still a leader on the team whether he's got a 'C' or not. Last season he wasn't considered too "selfish" to be captain and naming him this year wouldn't have set a "bad example"; that's ridiculous.

17. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

perfect choices, good mix of old and new, differring personalities

18. NewestJetFan

NewestJetFan New Member

Players get to choose their own leaders. End of story.

19. The GM

The GM New Member

Dear Mr. Prime Minisiter of Peanut Butter (aka Mr. Gay Central),

a)When did I say they voted wrong and b) When did I imply that I live in the locker room? Point those out to me in my post and then maybe I'll downgrade you from Gay Central to Gay Outpost.

I questioned the decision because Coles has had a rough offseason and he is used to being the leader of this team. Now a bunch of new guys come in and he is no longer a leader in the traditional sense of being a Captain. I'm not saying the 08 Captains are not qualified to be captains, I think they will all make terrific leaders. However, this to me is like if Brett Favre went back to the Packers this season and the Packers signed a bunch of FAs and the team didn't vote him a captain. How do you think Favre would respond after having a troublesome offseason? My take is not well.

20. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Right about there

Saying they made a mistake is the same thing as saying they were wrong.

Just sayin'