article: Jets not worried about GHOLSTON's poor preseason

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Kentucky Jet, Aug 30, 2008.

1. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

I'm still happy we got him...And I don't really care that he isn't good in pass coverage. Shawne Merriman is awful in coverage, but is probably the best rusher in the NFL. All I want from Gholston is to rush the passer, and once he gets more acclimated to the NFL game then that's what we'll get.

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

^Exactly! We need him to rush the passer. That's it. I really think we need to replace Ellis with Gholston on passing downs this year and let him figure it out from there.

3. JetsLookingforDWare

Yea it's almost as retarded on those who seem dead set on our rookie first round pick busting so they can....I don't even know...look right...

4. JetsLookingforDWare

Crazy thought...I know I'm really pushing it here...but maybe Mangini doesn't care about all you want when it comes to Gholston?

Whats more valuable...a guy who can rush the passer or a guy who can do everything else?

5. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Sign me up for 3/4 of the production Merriman has put up for Gholston and I'll take it.

6. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

LB? Most coaches and personnel men would say the most difficult to play is QB or RB (because of the constant pounding).

#26 Cakes, Aug 30, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  7. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

As James Duke on the NFLN said he is a "gunner" & should be used that way & he is not a read & react player

8. JetsLookingforDWare

Ah...and at 21 is a lock to remain so his whooole life...thats just how things work right?

I realize it's our job as fans to be irrational as fuck but....wow...seriously...like we should be smarter than this shit and we're *really* showing we're not...

9. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

I wonder how Leodis McKelvin and Rodgers-Cromartie are doing...Potential starters at corner opposite Revis we could have had.

I really hope Gholston doesn't prove to be another "workout wonder," a la Mike Mamula.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I wish he'd just play some football. I don't think thats what they are telling him. He's so wrapped up in the nuances of the playbook he's so unsure and tentative on field. Just go out and play.

Mangini needs to turn into Pacino from Any Given Sunday and say something along the lines of "Go to the Chevy, turn around I'll throw it to you." Willie Beamen the LB version.

11. JetsLookingforDWare

RB? Theres a reason those guys are considered a dime and a dozen and good ones always fall in the draft.

I'd say the average coach would tell you QB, LT, DT, CB, and WR would be the hardest. Iunno where 3-4 OLB would fit in, but considering how those guys play hands down, standing up, dropping back, blitzing, and holding up the run...its a position that requires a high amount of intelligence and athleticism.

12. Tight

Tight Active Member

Just be glad we got Pace, or we'd be shitting bricks right now with this guy starting at Miami...

13. JetsLookingforDWare

But we overpaid for him remember? He's just a one year wonder, remember?

14. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

There were some misunderstandings.

I initially thought the other guy was talking about making the transition from college to the pros and learning a position. The sentence after the one I had quoted gave me the impression that is what the poster was getting at.

I then wrote that QB and WR are the hardest positions to learn. I quickly changed it to QB and RB after I realized I may have misunderstood what he was trying to get across. By then, I thought he meant "hard" as in getting beat up physically and also having a lot handle from a mental and playbook standpoint.
    From that standpoint, QB and RB seem almost to be no-brainers. RBs careers don't last long because they get punished physically. Obviously, we all know how hard the QB position is and how difficult it is to succeed.

CB is difficult if the player cannot get past being beat deep. Good ones will forget about such plays. There have been plenty of CBs who stepped in as rookies and succeeded. It's one of the easiest positions to learn.

15. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Ok RB is not the hardest position. Quarterback come in at a close second, but a linebacker is the quarterback on defense. He has to know pretty much what the opposing quarterback knows. Linebackers have a more physical aspect then quarterback making it the hardest position to play in football. Play a down of organized football and you will find out. WR is not hard it just involves more timing in pros than in college. CB is actually on of the more raw skills positions in the NFL. MLB being the hardest. When big plays happen in football, other than a long pass, it is often because of the linebacker's mistakes.

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I did (CB and RB- not LB), but it shouldn't matter one way or the other, so what are you trying to say here?
    If I go on a movie forum and see posters knocking a particular director, I don't expect to read posts such as, "Go direct a Hollywood film and maybe you will find out how hard it is to do it successfully."

WR is not hard? Is that why the majority of WRs take 2 or 3 years before they pan out?

17. Tight

Tight Active Member

Yah your right, were fucked .. are you happy ?

18. masivemunkey

masivemunkey Member

Yeah I agree, I watched the first three quarters of the Eagles/Jets game and pretty much only focused on Gholston and I didn't think he was doing THAT bad. He's probably just thinking too much still at this point. Once he gets a couple sacks under his belt and starts getting more comfortable with the speed of pro football and the responsibilities of his new position I think he could be really good. The first sack is always the hardest, right?

19. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Think Calvin Pace, that's probably the type of player they want him to become. If he does our defense could be absolutely disgusting.

On top of what everyone else has pointed out about the poor comparison here, I'm almost positive Kendall was actually making those line calls for a good portion of the season. So yeah, he had to learn them but he wasn't responsible for them until he was comfortable. I don't see any parallels at all between the two with this comparison. Poor job Hutch.

These articles were bound to start coming out once the Favre hype died down. The negative tone of this article doesn't seem very intelligent for someone who is supposed to be reporting on professional football. I can understand some fans acting that way, but the writers should know better. It's like he just doesn't understand.

I agree, let's sign Calvin Pace.

Until he knows the position like the back of his hand he's not going to be able to play instinctually.

#39 WhiteShoeWillis, Aug 30, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  20. freeman24

freeman24 Member

Mario Williams took about a year to adjust to the NFL now he is a beast and one of the highest rated def players. I do not expect much from him until like week 12.