article: Jets not worried about GHOLSTON's poor preseason

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Kentucky Jet, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

New York Jets not worried about Gholston's poor preseason
    by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger
    Friday August 29, 2008, 9:24 PM
    The Jets insist there is nothing to be alarmed about with the subpar play of rookie linebacker Vernon Gholston. They say he's woefully behind after missing all of the offseason program because he couldn't report until the semester was over at Ohio State, and he'll blossom as soon as he gets up to speed.

There's one problem, however, with that argument.

Two seasons ago, center Nick Mangold, also an Ohio State product, faced the same dilemma and he had an outstanding rookie season and is now regarded as one of the rising stars at his position.

And center, like the linebacker/defensive end position played by Gholston, is a thinking man's position. Mangold had to learn to read complicated and ever-changing defensive fronts and make all the line calls. It was no easy task for a rookie.

Gholston, drafted sixth overall and signed to a five-year, $32 million contract that includes $21 million guaranteed, had yet another underwhelming performance in the Jets' 27-20 victory over the Eagles on Thursday night at Lincoln Financial Field.

And Gholston was going against the Eagles' backups, namely right tackle Winston Justice, who was a human turnstile in the Giants' record-setting 12-sack game against the Eagles last season.

The 6-3, 264-pound Gholston was credited with three tackles in three quarters (roughly 40 plays) against the Eagles' subs. He missed two tackles, couldn't keep containment on several running plays and had no sacks. He did force Justice into a holding penalty.

"It's frustrating," Gholston said. "You have that rookie mind-set. You're running around trying to do everything right but when you think too much, that's when you make mistakes. After the first couple of quarters, I had to tell myself to settle down, play what I'm supposed to play and do what I've always done.

"You look at (no sacks in the preseason), but I don't worry about it too much. The sacks will come. For me, it's just going out there and making sure I know what to do. Once I do that, I'll be able to play full speed."

In college, Gholston played with his hand on the ground as a defensive end in a 4-3 scheme. Even so, it appears he would be further along in the 3-4 alignment on pure athletic ability alone.

In the 3-4 scheme, there are certain keys and techniques that are completely different from the traditional 4-3 defense. You must also know where your help is. Gholston said he finds himself thinking for that split second and by then it's too late. He seems uncomfortable in pass coverage.

"I think Vernon really benefited from that playing time," said Mangini of the Eagles game. "As he gets more reps, his production has improved."

Gholston says he's virtually learning a new game.

"Now when you see blockers coming at you, instead of going underneath them, you have to stay outside of them," he said. "Whereas things were a natural reaction for you (in college), now you have to correct yourself, so to speak."

There were questions about Gholston coming out of college. Some labeled him a "workout wonder" and claim most of his 14 sacks in his senior season came in bunches. Also, critics said he took plays off.

The good news is, with the emergence of free-agent linebacker Calvin Pace, Gholston won't be counted on as much in the early going, giving him more time to develop. And the other starting outside linebacker, Byran Thomas, should be better this season.

"I think once the regular season gets here and we have a certain game plan, I'll have a more definitive idea of where I'm suppose to be," Gholston said. "The important thing is that I really believe that I'm getting better."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yeah, and what are they suppose to say? "We blew it, the guy is a total bust and if we had the pick back we would pick anybody but him."

Why people even write articles like this always amazes me.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

That's what they should say BUT it just wasn't fair to expect this guy to be a productive player from Day 1. He's a bit of a project despite his high draft status. Anyone who expected him to be a starter and be really good from day 1 was being completely unrealistic.

4. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

That is an interesting comparison. I still think the lack of a mentor has hurt him. Mangold gave a lot of credit to Kendall for teaching him early on, Harris had Vilma, Vilma had Cowart.

But with Pace in the lineup, there is less pressure on Gohlston to produce immediately, luckily for him.

5. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

it makes me happy to hear mangini say he is progressing. i havent really seen too much progress which is the thing that has begun to bother me a little bit but if the coach is seeing progress i have to take his word for it. he does get to see alot more than i do on a daily basis.

not terribly concerned, a little disappointed that he isnt really making any plays or using his athletic ability. hopefully he will come around.

werent there questions about his football (ill use reaction as it was what he referred to in the article) was not good, typically a football player will be able to adjust and just flow much better than gholston has. learning and thinking too much can be detrimental but it really shouldnt make a guy who is as talented as him be as ineffective as he has been. at some point he should just be turned loose and told not to think and just play and react as it would probably speed things up for him.... then again the preseason is over so that probably isnt a good idea at this point ;)

6. nyjunc

Mangold was ready to play, he wasn't changing positions. There are always going to be young players who develop quickly and are ready to start day 1 and others who may take years to develop.

7. Don

The problem with taking years to develop is that NFL careers still only average 3 years. I would think for linemen it is even less. You don't get years to develop nor should you when so much money is at stake. QBs are a different story because of just how much they need to learn.

8. nyjunc

That average is based on alot of marginal players that latch on to a team for a year or so. Good players last a long time. Gholston SHOULD have a long career, he'll have time to develop. I don't have expectations of him this year but next year I will.

9. Don

It's also based on career ending injuries which is another large percentage which is why for linemen it is so short.

10. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

actually I expect to see more of the real VG by game 8 this year! Less thinking and more reacting. The guy will do very well for us!

11. nyjunc

I have said all along I think he'll be a situational pass rusher as a rookie much like Abe in '00. Hopefully he can have some of Abe's success but w/o being injury prone.

12. Verngenious

Verngenious New Member

I'm far from giving up on Gholston and still think he can be an impact player for us, but I don't like what I've seen so far. Even though he's still swimming he needs to be more physical out there, he doesn't look agressive enough right now, he's NOT hitting people the way he should!! He is not showing any kind of reckless abandon or all out desire and hustle in pursuit either. Even though he's learning and lost right now he needs to be way more physical, I want to see him ( Just bull rush ) run over a TE, T, RB, FB, anyone.

I'm praying that everything is going to click for him in a month or two, but if it doesn't we're screwed. Trust me when I tell you boys, it's much more important that that Gholston pans out than it is that Keller pans out. The pass rush is more important to this and every team in order to become a top defense. We need a few pass rushing studs OVERTAKE the PATS more than we needed a TE. The only way we win 10 - 11 gms this year is if Gholston, Pace, BT, Ellis, and Jenkins can get to the Quarterback!! Jekins is the other key to us having a great year by shutting down / disrupting the running gm and letting our LB's flow to the ball.

Bottom Line: If Gholston is a bust, we better pray PACE is the real deal and Elli and BT have bounce back years or we're in trouble.

13. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I agree that he should be a situation pass rusher. Interesting comparison with Abe. We had him as an OLB as a rookie, but he was really better suited for DE. I'm starting to think the same for Gholston. He will probably be better as a down lineman than an OLB

14. pender30

pender30 Member

I just watched the replay of the Eagles game last night, and I don't think it was as bad as most people are making it seem on here. He does look awful in coverage, but rushing the passer, he's not quite as bad as advertised. Let's look at some Gholston positives:

1) Obvious strength - I haven't seen an O lineman yet who can move Gholston backwards. I know I hear a lot about him just using the bull rush, but he it seems like a lot of the time he is moving his guy backwards into the pocket. When he's playing with the starters on third down, his side will be collapsing, Jenkins will be collapsing the middle, somebody's going to have to account for Ellis and Coleman and I think that will result in allowing Pace, Harris, and Barton to introduce themselves to the quarterback quite a bit. He may not get a lot of sacks using the bull rush, but collapsing the pocket never hurts, and I would rather have that happening than whatever Bryan Thomas does out there.

2) He may not have a sack yet in preseason, but he's been close several times. Twice I have seen him (once against the Redskins, once against the Giants) move his O lineman into the QB just as the QB was throwing. On Pace's sack against Eli, where Eli did the 16 yard dash away from the end zone, Gholston was in the clear and pursuing from the other side. Twice in the Eagles game he had Justice beat badly, once Kolb stepped up in the pocket and Gholston whiffed, the other time Justice got a holding penalty to protect his QB. No sacks yet, but he's been oh so close several times.

3) The negative coverage in the press has got to be getting this guy angry. I don't know anybody who doesn't feel good about proving people wrong. This guy is too strong and too fast to not eventually break through, and I would hate to be the first QB that finally runs out of time against Vernon. He's going to break somebody in half.

15. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Instincts are innate & not coachable. Either you have them or you do not. Up to till now VG has displayed zero FB instincts which means he has none & IMHO that is what is so distressing about his performance up to now. The article sounds like Man paiid Hutch to write such sorry BS

16. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

Gholston was always a high-risk/reward pick. It will be interesting to see if he turns it around over the course of a season.

Here is my question: If Keller and Lowery turn out to be studs, are you going to be upset if Gholston is a bust?

My guess is the overwhelming majority will say yes, but for me if we can get 2 great players out of every draft (regardless of draft position), then we should be happy.

DbJ

17. THere arent really any "instincts" associated w/ being a pass rusher other than perhaps predicting the snap count, a play action or a role out.Middle linebacker, Corner, Safety, RB and QB..yes there are alot of innate instincts..pass rusher? Not so much.

He's firmly admitted to not going full speed in order to prevent from making mental mistakes. Thatsthe first thing I noticed about him in TC. He's not going full speed. Once he starts running down hill...He's gonna get us some sacks..and thats what he's here for.

18. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Well I sure hope you are right cause week 2 is only 15 days away so he better get his s@$t together real fast

19. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I don't see why everyone thinks that he is a bust. He was playing DE in college and linebacker in he NFL. Linebacker is the hardest position to play in football. Give him a chance to actually learn the position. As far as the Mangold comparison, they do not play the same position. No comparison really.

20. JetMonkey

JetMonkey Member

We should bring in a veteran OLB who played a 3-4 to mentor Gholston... Rosey Colvin sounds like he could fit that role. Plus, he gives us insight on the Pats defense. Thoughts?