One disturbing stat from last nights game...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gmfidelity, Aug 29, 2008.

1. gmfidelity

gmfidelity New Member

Sacks- 0

Now some may say it was all backups playing and guys like Harris, Pace, Rhodes and Jenkins will get their fair share of sacks, but to me, this really shows the lack of depth in our defense should we sustain injuries.

Any thoughts?

2. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

I thought it was interesting that the Jets didn't put pressure on the QB. Gholston was terrible. But more surprising, Marques Murrell was no better when asked to rush the passer. I know they dropped him into coverage a bit last night, but I expected more from him against Philly's 3rd stringers.

3. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

The one thing last night taught me you pointed out. This team lacks defensive depth. The first team is very talented, but the backups, not so much.

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I agree with your general premise, and that is that the depth sucks. Listening on the radio you'd think we're one of the deepest teams in the league, but honestly, with exception of WR, HB, and TE... if we take injuries this season at any of our starting spots across the team, we are royally screwed.

5. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

It was really discouraging seeing that as well last night.

However, we did put some pressure on Kolb and Feeley more than a few times. I saw Kolb and Feeley run out of the pocket-SUCCESSFULLY-and connect with their receivers eventually, but that's because our coverage was pretty tight. One of those rushes made Feeley swing out right and forced him to make a pass along the sidelines. The result was a pick by Elam. So we did pressure a lot, unfortunately it didn't translate into sacks.

6. nyj8085

nyj8085 Member

I thought that was troubling as well. But then I watched David Carr, yes the David Carr that the Jets back ups beat up on and sacked at least 2 times not get touched by the Pats last night. So I think the back ups might not be as terrible as anyone thinks or the Eagles might just have more depth at O-line.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

There will be plenty of pressure on opposing QB's this year. I'm very confident about that based on what our starters have looked like.

8. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Mosley and another dude did chase Feeley into throwing the INT to Elam.

9. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

IDK there was no starters in there but one things for shure our second and third team d is pretty corny.

10. Lawbot

Lawbot New Member

I think the lack of sacks was more a function of the scheme last night. You didn't see any complicated blitzes or zone drops. They were in a base 3-4 or a nickel all night, and usually playing a two deep zone with some man coverage underneath. Rarely did we rush more than 4 and I don't think we rushed more than 5 at all.

11. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Lawbot, I think you have a very good point here.

The NYJ CS seemed pretty intent on gauging these subs in their pass protection skills, not in their pass rushing skills. I saw a lot of guys with high numbers on their chests in coverage on most every play last night...

12. JetsLookingforDWare

It really says absolutely nothing...but I realize the obligation as a Jets fan to pronounce the sky is falling in some area...

Brown, DeVito, Murrell, Mosley, and Cummings all applied pressure at some point this preseason...Mosley and DeVito have even done it in games that mean shit...

13. TampaBayJetsFan85

The Jets sacked the QB 8 times or something like that against the Giants! During our last preseason game we actually sacked the opposing QB zero times, who cares? If the preseason MEANS anything, we have already proven that we could pressure the QB, just ask the Giants.

Why show the world what we can do on defense? The bottom like in this, we have a solid defense with players who can make plays.

Rhodes, Revis, Gholston, Barton, Harris, Pace, Coleman, Jenkins, Ellis with players such as Bryan Thomas coming off the bench... This will be one of the better D's the Jets have had in quite some time.

Gholston and Pace rushing the QB from the outside while chasing down the RB's in the flats. Barton and David Harris controling the middle of this 3-4 Defense with players like Coleman, Jenkins and Ellis working hard like dog's in the trenches to stuff the run and open up lanes for our LB's.

Lets not forget that Rhodes and Revis will be ball hawking in the secondary with players like Elam trying to prove a point...I like what I see

14. JetsLookingforDWare

Yea thats true LOL...last fuckin week the backups had 5...were they like the best everz then?

I think as a fanbase we need our heads checked...seriously...we're like bi-polar football fans or something...

15. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Ok...let me reel you all in here...I didn't SEE the game but I listened on Sirius...and the one thing you all need to understand is they were showing no looks or packages yesterday. I can't tell you how many times the announces said the Jets played the whole game in a basic base defense...I'll bet they said it 20 times before the end of the first half. So, I am not worried about our backups....they did quite well against the Giants and that's what I take away from that....no worries people...

Peace!

The Mezz

16. TampaBayJetsFan85

Exactly mezzavo, nice post man...

If the Preseason MEANS ANYTHING... The Jets went 3-1, that means we are a solid team!

The thing is, the Preseason really means NOTHING at all, it's just a way to get the teams and players up to the speed of the game while getting the much needed reps, thats all it is. Teams never show opposing teams what they have in store for the regular season during the preseason games...

17. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

i don't understand this claim about lack of depth; i mean, i guess i do if you think a situation will ever arise in which the ENTIRE 2nd/3rd team has to play at once.

if one or two starters go down, then you bring in a guy or two from the B-team; that player(s) will be playing alongside talented starters and will probably perform better because there's much more talent around him (vs playing along side a bunch of backups).

18. flgreen

flgreen New Member

I hope your not assuming Gholston will be starting over Thomas.

19. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Yeah. He's been making dumb comments like that on other threads. He apparently hasn't been watching the preseason games and is regurgitating the same thoughts everyone had right after the Draft.

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

philly 2nd string offensive line -> great -> 0 sacks
    g-girls starting offensive line -> sucks -> 8 sacks

the end