Gholston regressing?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Lord, Aug 28, 2008.

1. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Cut him now! he sucks! Fire Tannenbaum!

2. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

wow thanks so much for adding so much to the thread, its really appreciated.

3. zonebuster413

zonebuster413 Member

He needs to put down his protein shake and *cough* roids *cough* and just do some regular cardio to get himself in better playing shape. He looks winded all the time. No burst at all.

4. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

After a year of no results, let's get concerned. Not yet, fellas.

The guy is playing linebacker after playing D-end. Were he a 4-3 end and asked to rush the passer, I'd be more concerned But what if you got put in an IT job tomorrow: could you fix my computer's hard drive problem. You'd probably check to make sure the computer was plugged in as a first step. Time will tell, but I'm not hitting the panic button yet.

5. Kenny

Kenny New Member

Can he play a meaningfull game atleast before you start bashing him.. Jeez, is Chris long dominating right now? I guess all you guys would of wanted Mario Williams traded also..

6. JetTalk

JetTalk New Member

Don't compare Mario Williams' situation with Gholston's.

7. Kenny

Kenny New Member

why the heck not??? He played a full season and didnt do much.

8. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

holy christ...it's a tad early to start pushing the panic button....I understand it didn't look very encouraging for Gholston in the Philly game....but the kid is learning, plus he came into camp late too...he's been under the gun trying to learn the scheme and get a feel for the speed of the NFL.

This thread shouldn't have surfaced till at the very least...week 8....if at all. Let Gholston get his feet wet, guys.

9. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Because Gholston is a physical specimen that supposedly took plays off in college but when he played was dominant. However the transition so far has been slow to the pro's.......... Is that reason enough not to compare them?

10. zonebuster413

zonebuster413 Member

I don't think this is a fair analogy. It's more like telling someone who has been a defensive coordinator all his life that "hey from tomorrow you have to be the head coach." You can expect him to struggle in his all around coaching, but at least be good at what he does, that is to coach his defense.

Same with Gholston. We can overlook the play where he was supposed to cover the RB on the flat but instead he all of a sudden changed his mind and rush the passer and the RB was wide open. However, it hard to over look his lack of burst and lack of athleticism when rushing the passer, if that is his best asset.

11. Phyr

Phyr Member

Emotional reactionaries on an internet message board? Never!

12. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Ya'll boys don't seem to believe that the Kiddie Leagues are not up to snuff with the NFL.

Chris Long and Gholston are making a tough, painful transition.

You'll need to make it too, as the CS will be patient and bring them around -- Long and Gholston -- in spite of fan impatience.

Now you can see the benefits of years of nurturing these BMOCs.

BMOC to rook in one fell swoop.

Ya'll get used to it. Most college boys will have to go through this, you will note, as you watch a few more years of such drafts.

13. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

thank you. i agree wholeheartedly.

is it so bad to want to see PROGRESS from a top pick? should we wait until next year for PROGRESS? too many people are too stuck on the whole transition thing, face it there are quite a few guys every year that come in and transition VERY WELL to playing in the nfl. there are many others that transition more slowly, but at least you see PROGRESS in them as they transition. the issue most people, well at least i have right now is that there is NOT PROGRESS in the transition, moreso REGRESSION. and that is reason for at least a little bit of CONCERN.

for whatever reason people either love or hate these players and will defend them relentlessly if they love them and kill them for absolutely nothing if they hate them. i happen to think with gholston that some people are realistically seeing the lack of PROGRESS and others are just still in love with him and refuse to see things for what they really are at this point.

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Trade Long for Gholston, and both sides will be happy... :drunk:

15. Gholston was drafted as a long term high ceiling guy. We can afford to take our time, coach him the right way and let him take baby steps. The pass coverage stuff is gonna take time..that is all completely new. I havent seen the tape of the Philly game...but Progress was apparent from preseason game 1 to 2 to 3. His first step seemed to improve..and that seems to be the key for his pass rushing success.

It's way WAY too early to show any signs of panic for this guy. It's been painfully obvious since his first day of TC that he's struggled to stay afloat mentally. Hard to judge a guys play when he isn't reacting naturally and is more concerned w/ not making any major mistakes.

Lets see what he dos in a more simplified role in the regular season, where he's told to get the QB..and nothing else.

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Gholston regressing... that has to mean he has established something first off.

Wait a minute. Isn't he a rookie?

Seems about right timing to hit the panic button.

*I just don't get you people. You were lenient enough to call for Kellen's shot for MORE THAN A FUCKING YEAR, and one bad preseason, and start calling for the rookie's head? Are you smoking something?*

17. Tight

Tight Active Member

No your wrong, he was not good.. get your head out your ass.

18. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Ty sir, I did not want to quote that mental midget but you totally said what I was thinking.

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

anger to not see a big hit, sack, pass batted down against 2nd teamers... half-assing it. It hurts to watch, and as fans we are disappointed. It turns to anger and we turn to the computer.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Ask a Texan fan how they felt about his 1st year.

Mario Williams also went from 4-3 DE to 4-3 DE. What TE is he covering? Or when is he standing up and rushing the passer that way?

Gholston did look atrocious, but the bigger picture is that it will take a longer and different path than what Williams did.

Every. Single. Player. is given 3 years before they have it or don't.