Clemens has "locked up" the No. 2 spot

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Huh? What story do you have? He was last in QB rating, last in completion %, last in TD to INT. Can't remember what else but there were others too. That has nothing to do with a bad team. Kitna played on a bad team with no running game and look at what he did.

2. Don

You have to be kidding on that one, right? He had already lost the job before Favre was brought in. Why do you think there was even a question about whether he or Ratliff would be the backup now?

3. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

No, we really don't... he went 3-5 as a starter on a team that sucked donkey balls (specifically the o-line, run game, and McCareins).

Breaking down his losses...

One loss to the Ravens... he put the team in a position to win, but someone failed him in the endzone.. twice.
    One loss to the Redskins.. by 3 points in overtime
    One loss to the Browns .. by 6 points
    One loss to the Cowboys.. no excuses here.. whole team sucked.
    One loss to New England.. Seymour piledrives him in the first quarter.

could be a lot worse.

4. 624

624 Banned

they must be REALLY confident brett favre wont get injured

5. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Stats lie all the time.

How would you explain Pennington having among the best stats in the league?

6. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Clemens should be the number 2 QB. I dont see why people are so down on him. He played inconsistantly last season but it was his first time playing QB at the NFL level and he had some good games. Ratliff has looked well in the Preseason but I dont think Clemens has looked bad. I've seen some good things from him. I'm not saying he is going to be a good NFL QB but I dont think its fair to say that he for sure wont be either.

7. Don

I would say that the defense won the Pittsburgh game, not the offense and Edwards played to lose, just look at the plays he called. So he did beat Miami and by a lot.

8. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Oh right, you mean guaranteeing 10 wins, then losing 7 of their last 8 games, having that lone win come against the Chiefs, and missing the playoffs?

btw the Lions were a better team than the Jets last year.

9. Don

I'm talking about his QB stats on a bad team. Oh, and I'm not sure Detroit was a better team, they just ended up with a couple more wins.

10. forge289

forge289 New Member

i agree. i don't know if he'll ever be among the best in the league but i could see him panning out to be a solid qb with a little more experience. i mean, they say it takes on average 3 years for a rook qb to become acclimated with NFL competition (playbooks, speed of the game, etc..) and last year was only his second year. the guy is still growing as a player. you'd have to hope that with another year of practice and learning under one of the best in the business that he'd start to take advantage of the physical tools that he has.

11. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I love how this board turns on QBs. Last year everyone was all over Clemens' dick, begging for Pennington to get injured (sickos!) so Clemens could start. Now, the guy has a shaky preseason after last year's finish and all of a sudden we're "DOOOOOMED!!!!!". Give me a break. How can you evaluate last year's offense properly when Chirs Baker was the best offensive weapon we had on the team? New era, new o-line, why don't we just sit back and realize that we have a QB starting for us that has yet to miss a start in his career since he put on a Packers uniform?

12. Don

Because he does throw accurately and completes a lot of passes, that's how. Does that make him the strongest armed QB in the league, of course not.

13. JetsLookingforDWare

Jets fans...bitch first...everything else later.

14. Don

I never liked either all that much but I trusted Pennington more. I always said we needed to go out and get another QB and now we have. If Favre leaves after this year I can just about guarantee we will go out and get another one next year too.

15. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I still don't see your point.

Kitna has always had pretty good stats. For him it doesn't matter if his team is good or not, he still puts up good numbers. Numbers lie.. and bringing Kitna into the discussion only hurts your case.

He also kills any chance of a deep threat, limiting our offense to runs and screens. He also can't orchestrate come-backs since his dinks-and-dunks don't always work and they eat the clock. His stats say he's one of the best in the league.. he's clearly not.

#55 GBA, Aug 28, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  16. JetsLookingforDWare

Uh huh...I'm sure the FO was losing sleep over this toughie...which guy should backup the QB legend...the 3rd year second round pick who *just* started 8 games and showed potential or the guy off the practice squad with 3 good preseason quarters...

Please stop trying to BS me...I'm not dumb and you're not a genius. Like...WTF are you talking about with Kitna? You think Clemens would look bad with a 6'5 230 pound WR with 4.35 speed AND a 6'2 210 WR with 4.4 speed in a pass happy offense?

#56 JetsLookingforDWare, Aug 28, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  17. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Are you talking about Trent Edwards? Clemens didn't start that game, he came in with 3:30 left, down 2 scores.. he was set up to lose.

18. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I'm starting to think people on this board just have an unhealthy obsession wth arguing over QBs. First the whole off-season with Chad and Clemens, then they go and get Brett Favre and now you guys are spending this much time arguing over who is the #2 QB that likely isn't going to play at all. There are 21 other positions on the field plus special teams. Geez.

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Ratliff makes plays and puts points on the board. Clemens seems to have a lot of problems doing that..

20. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I think a lot of Jets fans just love to hate their own team.