Clemens has "locked up" the No. 2 spot

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08282008/sports/jets/sub_jets_go_fourth_126403.htm

..."Instead, there will be a lot of Kellen Clemens and Brett Ratliff at quarterback.

Clemens, who'll start tonight, has locked up the No. 2 spot after a rocky beginning to camp and a couple of sub-par preseason games.

"I'm seeing more and more out of Kellen with his patience in the pocket, the ability to assess the defense, knowing what to get to offensively, the poise, and I've liked that," Mangini said.

Clemens is taking nothing for granted, knowing that Ratliff has had an eye-opening, excellent preseason.

"Obviously it's the last preseason game and you want to go out and have a good showing," Clemens said. "You want to leave a taste not only in the fans' mouth, but your teammates' and coaches', as well."

Clemens, too, knows that, based on Favre's 253-game consecutive start streak, there's a good chance he'll be throwing his last passes of the season tonight. "

2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

This is an erroneous declaration. The FO just doesn't want to hurt Clemens' feelings.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Well, it wouldn't come as a surprise. He was also #2 coming out of camp in his rookie season before being demoted to #3 in the middle of the season. Ratliff probably needs more work before he can become the backup for good.

4. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

At least we go into the season being able to say that we are relatively deep at the QB position.

5. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Ugh. What has Clemens actually shown anyone?

6. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Actually, I don't feel that way at all. Clemens had one decent pre-season game against backups. Ratliff has looked great, but let's see him in a real game before annointing him the next coming. If Favre goes down, so does the season, especially with Clemens at QB. It takes a long time before a front office will admit it made a huge mistake with a #2 pick.

7. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

That was my point...if they say Ratliff is 2, and I were Clemens I'd have no motivation to keep working.

He must have earned it with intangibles because he didn't show a whole lot, I'd agree with you Alio.

8. JetsLookingforDWare

B-but...but...Ratliff is da best...!!!?!?

This probably means that Favre is injured. I wouldn't be surprised if Ratliff is starting the opener.

9. Don

It's been a long time. It's now time.

10. DOOM

DOOM Active Member

Ratliff will move up the ladder to #2. KC has had ample time to show why he is not starting.

11. Colintes

Colintes New Member

haha thats so possibly true. Though i cant imagine Favre speaking around starting a game or not, he just doesn't seem like that kind of a guy. He'd be more like, "Fuck yeah im starting...gimme the ball"

12. JetsLookingforDWare

I'm not sure you realize just how powerful Ratliff is.

He's thrown 3 (!!!!!!) TDs this PREseason dude. Ratliff > Favre.

13. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

This is the NFL, noone cares about feelings. They drafted Clemens to be the Future of this Franchise, and aren?t willing to admit, yet, that that was a big mistake, that?s all.

14. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

With Brett Favre here let's hope it doesn't matter.

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Who cares who the backup is, if Favre goes down the team is screwed no matter who takes over. Having 3 qbs on the roster does not mean we have quality depth at the position, Favre goes down there is noone waiting in the wings that should inspire confidence in the realistic Jets fan.

16. Don

Yeah, that is the real problem. If Favre leaves after this year we still have no QB. We need to trade for or draft another one and hope Favre stays another year. Maybe Ratliff can develop but I have no confidence in Clemens at all.

17. sayuki

sayuki New Member

hi

I think clemens was very poor last season and he was not good in pre season games this year so far.
    but I like ratliff! he will be very good!!

18. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Could it actually be to maintain some value on Clemens? We are carrying 4 QB's right now. Maybe after this season if they can get a feel if Favre is going to continue for another year or two they can deal Clemens out of green and white and let Ratliffe and Ainge fill in the #2-3 spots on the rosters. I'm not sold on Clemens, but demoting him at this point would deflate any value he has toward the future. I think it may be about more than "saving face" and just trying to make the most of future business.

19. Don

Maybe. There is an excellent chance that the Ravens will be looking to trade for a QB by Friday. They are awaiting the final results on Boller's injury.

20. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

I think this is a non-issue.

If Clemens had to play and he was stinking it up, we'd go to Ratliff. Simple as that.