Gholston VS Giants play by play. Not as good as FakterX's from last week.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, Aug 24, 2008.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Trolling could be the most embarrassing thing to do on the internet. I'd rather you cruise trannys on Craig's List.

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Good example.

I love how this is brought up as a great comparison, for Chris Long, Gholston, Crable, whoever, and yet it doesn't count because we are discussing a Jet rookie with a Pats troll.

It lessens the illusion of intellect of the one doing the attacking.

If was a Texans fan, I'd bring this up to show how you have to wait until year 2 or 3 to judge a player. Not Preseason week 3.

This thread was to discuss progress, not the final judgment.

3. Maybe he never lived up to his hype or the trade...but a guy who has started since day 1 of his rookie season, for 2 different playoff teams and was called by 2 opposing playoff head coaches as the best DT the given team faced in an entire season, is far from a bust. We're not talking about Adrian Klemm or anything like that.

As for Gholston...Most of his pass rush comes from his initial first step. At the top of his game in college, his initial first step allowed him to get an extra edge on the given OT's angle...at that point he was able to use his superior upper body strength to escape the block and sack the QB. Early on in TC and at the start of the preseason...Gholston's first step was not there. However...w/ every preseason game it seems to be quicker and quicker....which has improved his overall pass rush. Case and point:he had quite a few QB pressures against the Giants. The more he gets the first step up to what it was in college...the better he'll be as a pass rusher on this level.

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

How did I not see this??

Public Assistance?? OMG. :rofl:

And its obvious he's getting the job done? So why are you attacking him? And that also means Brick isn't a bust...

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hey, you went from talking about Brick to talking about DRob. Nice misdirect, but it doesn't make your point any more valid. Unless we're talking about the point on top of your head.

6. Grogan

Grogan Banned

As for Jackson he's clearly a bust, and all teams have them, yet it's a bit differen't to draft a bust with a 2nd round pick and giving up tws 1st's and a 4th for a top 5 pick that turns out to be a JAG. As for Meriwether, you clearly haven't been paying attention, just watch what this kid does this year starting next to Harrison then try and tell me he's a bust.

7. Grogan

Grogan Banned

Maybe you should try "Reading" I never said a word about D Brick.

8. GreenMachine

You just contradicted yourself. Gholston has not played 1 down in the NFL, yet you call him a bust. Brick has shown MAJOR progress, yet he is a bust. Meriwether looks good in camp( according to you) and he is on his way to a Pro Bowl.

I guess you are ignoring his leg injury vs Tampa. He looked real good on the sidelines.

How about we discuss the O-Line depth in NE?

9. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

What if he's an outright bust, why should that be cause for concern?

10. GreenMachine

How stupid are you?

11. Grogan

Grogan Banned

So you are actually going to compare a 2nd round pick in Adrian Klemm, as a bigger bust then a guy that cost the Jets two 1st round picks and a 4th, not to mention the 56 million dollar top 5 contract, and come away saying the Jets made out??????????? Please,,,, all teams have busts, but are Jet fans really so out of touch with reality that they are still trying to justifiy the Robertson pick?

12. Grogan

Grogan Banned

The question is how stupid are you? "D Bust" was in ref-to D-Rob, it's not my fault Jet fans can't keep track of all their draft mistakes.

13. winstonbiggs

The Robertson pick sucked and hurt the team not because Robertson was a bust but he cost us to much money and they allowed Ferguson to walk and put a practice squad player next to him.

THe Jets have been very good at signing players to deals that allow us to move on from mistakes and sign FA's. The cap has changed and is going to change again. That's why the Pats have been plugging holes with veterans the last few years succesfully.

The Robertson deal was painful because we were still locked into a crappy deal for Martin and Pennington and had over paid loyal guys like Wayne. That is no longer the situation. We have two young QB's who are costing us very little behind a hugely paid stop gap that is gone in a year or two who will come off our books.

Gholston becomes a great player its great if he doesn't, unlike Robertson we have the ability to move on.

14. Grogan

Grogan Banned

I have no problem with any of that, it's reality based and make sense. There have been and will always be busts for every team in the NFL, as fans we don't want to look at that because we don't want our team to get stuck with one. That's natural.

15. winstonbiggs

I appreciate you coming here to help all of us Jets fans keep ourselves grounded in reality.

What did you do with all the cold cuts and beer from the SB victory party?

#175 winstonbiggs, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  16. Grogan

Grogan Banned

We ate the cold cuts and drank the beer, after all it was still the Super Bowl, and some teams haven't been there in 40 years. :beer:

17. Grogan

Grogan Banned

Wow Reading really is a problem for you. Show me exactly where I called Gholston a bust???? Show me where I said anything at all about D-Bick? Also I'll say it one more time, watch what Meriwether does this season and then come back and try and say he's a bust.

#177 Grogan, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  18. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

No but you labeled him a poor selection at #6 with 3 pre-season games under his belt. You look so smart right now. :up:

19. Grogan

Grogan Banned

Really??? Do you mind pointing out where I said this?

20. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Tell me where I said "it's a God given fact that Gholston will also".

I was merely responding to your post, in which you said:

I was just giving out an example of how Mario Williams was a disappointment in his first year as a pass-rusher, and then took off in his second year. Also remember that Williams wasn't making a position switch, he was playing the same position he did in college. Things worked out ok for him.

There are also other examples of pass rushers that have made the switch to LB, and have improved each year. DeMarcus Ware went from 8 sacks as a rookie to 11.5 his 2nd year, and then 14 last year. Other players have started out slow and then finished the year out very strong.

Of course, there are others who never panned out, but after three preseason games, it's complete ignorance to imply that a player has disappointed. It's also pure ignorance to say there is nothing to learn. This is the NFL, there is always something new to learn. To think that a player can not improve his techniques by studying film and getting reps in practice and games is just stupid.

So far, Gholston has shown progress in all three preseason games. If he has two sacks by the end of the year, then I would consider that disappointing, but I really don't think that's going to happen.

BTW, this article mentions the following about Cody Spencer:

Gholston's had several pressures, including the last game against the Giants. And the sack leader in the preseason has only 3? Please. It's not like the leader has 8 or 9 sacks and he has none.