Jets to release PSL info at noon today

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Buldawg, Aug 26, 2008.

1. notajduhe

notajduhe Member

I just got off the phone with the JETS, they say that seniority is the determining factor and that people with high seniority will get to move upstairs. Now, I heard this from what must be a low level grunt, so I can't be sure what it means, but said grunt says this is what they were told. I have sent emails to some of the JETS beat reporters in the hope one of them can get a more detailed answer. I'll let you know what I find.

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I heard that yesterday but here is where that line is confusing. If everybody (?) wants to avoid paying for PSLs and move upstairs that who is going to pay for the PSLs downstairs? Already, the people with the good seats obviously have all of the senority so they can all move up if they want to. Then what?

3. Cornfed

Cornfed Member

This process is a bit mind bending. I *think* I mostly understand it, but I'm still fuzzy at points.

One thing I was thinking was about the way I thought/think it is supposed to work for phase 2. I think the theory was that people would first get offered $25k seats. Then, if they refuse, get offered $20k seats in the next round.

That sort of sounds right, but would require a lot of communication back and forth between the Jets and fans via, I assume, snail mail. That just doesn't sound workable and doesn't sound like a process the Jets would want to iterate through. So I'm now thinking it will be more of a "deli line" approach as suggested above with a little less transparency (for instance, maybe you pick a couple high level options that you might be interested in, then some time later get a letter offering a couple options and you need to select one?).

We'll see...

4. Don

Not more seats than the current stadium AND the wait list. If what that guy said is right you get thrown to the back of the line just as you do now if you don't buy your tickets when they send out the bill. You lose them and your only option is to get back in at the end of the wait list.

5. notajduhe

notajduhe Member

I just called the jets and they confimed what we are now calling the deli line approach. Admittedly, I'm sure I spoke to a low level hack. I sent emails to some of the usual suspects (Robert Glauber, Randy Lange and Rich Calder) perhaps one of them will follow up on this.

6. notajduhe

notajduhe Member

People who worry that they are going to get shut out will move down. Additionally, after people see that they are shut out, they will grab any remaining PSL'ed seats. Woody's comment about wanting to protect the most loyal fans in creating non-psl seats makes no sense if people with high priority are the most likely to get bounced out of the stadium.

7. Don

Well, there is a silver lining. In 25 years when they build the next stadium for 3 billion dollars and the PSLs start at 100k each, this will have seemed like a bargain.

(Just saying....)

8. Cornfed

Cornfed Member

The thing for me and, I assume, most regular folks is that the only tickets which are possibilities are:
    - the non-PSL seats
    - the $4000 PSL/$120 ticket seats
    - the $5000 PSL/$120 ticket seats

There are also $5k PSL/$400 ticket seats, but those are, I assume, out of reach for most normal folks.

So even though there are >80k seats in the new stadium, I think there are much less than that (maybe half? a little more?) which are possible for most people.

I've definitely thought about this too much and need to shut the f up until I see what I'm offered and stop speculating so much :)

9. Cornfed

Cornfed Member

These updates are fast and furious :)

With the Deli Line approach, I think the first 27,002 people called will eat up the non-PSL seats. I'm exaggerating, but I would think those 27k will be gone with the first, say, 30k people contacted (certainly by the first 40k). Then the $4k and $5k seats will go, but hopefully those will reach folks like me. I'm giving myself a 50/50 shot at this point...

10. Don

Those people may not have the money or want to spend it any more than the people who want to move up. I can see the good seats going to people outside who just happen to have the money.

11. Cornfed

Cornfed Member

I think that's absolutely true. I think a huge percentage of, for instance, those $20k and $25k PSLs will go to folks not even on the waiting list yet. How many people can afford those? Even if I made, say, $200k/year (which I certainly don't), I couldn't see any chance of paying anything close to that. And what percentage of folks make more than $200k?

12. notajduhe

notajduhe Member

you are likely correct, but my point was that if the Jets are really respecting seniority, those with longest tenure should be able to bump newer people from the upper deck. Thad Sheely's comment seems at odds with that, but the JETS people have told me something different from Sheely's quote (and the Post and Newsday have reported the story in line with what I have been told, and contrary to what Sheely has said).

13. Don

They can both be correct. Once all of the prioritizing and bump requests have been filtered through they will offer you seats. Whether they are non-PSL or PSL may be just dumb luck. Once they are offered you will have the choice of accepting them or refusing them. You won't, at that point, have the option of changing them. If you refuse them you go to the back of the line just as you do now.

#213 Don, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  14. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

hahahaha... jersey.. hahahahaha... btw, i'm fat.

15. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

this is my feeling too..the details seems to be changing each hours which tell me we don't know the real deal anyway...........I'll just hang tight until I hear something definitive from some official of the club.......and until next spring when i see what I can get

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There is no way in hell that the Jets are going to bounce lower deck people out of the stadium just because they don't want to pay a premium to keep their current seats.

People in the lower decks tend to have been season ticket holders for much longer than people upstairs and there's just no way the Jets are going to say "sorry, it's been nice having you in the stadium for thirty years (lousy years mostly), don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out."

That's just not the way any sane business operates. The Jets will make decisions based purely on seniority AND ownership of current seats. Anybody with seniority anywhere is going to keep their seat (or comparable seat) if they pay the premium. Anybody with seniority who wants to move up to pay a lower price is going to wind up bumping anybody with less seniority for a given seat.

17. Don

What do you think they are going to do? Give them the seats for free? Of course they will. There are only 27000 non-PSL seats and approximately 55000 psl seats. If half of those people down below don't want to pay there won't be enough seats up above for them to fit into. Somebody is out of luck.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That's not going to be the situation though. A fair number of season ticket holders are likely to decide that the new arrangement is just too expensive or inconvenient for them to want to maintain tickets anyway. Probably 15-20% of the Jet's season ticket holders in areas that have PSL's are going to leave of their own accord without even seriously considering either paying the PSL fee or moving to a far more inconvenient accommodation up high. That'll be a huge increase over the usual 2-3% turnover in a year and it will relieve a lot of the pressure on the seating plan overall.

The interesting question will be how the waitlist is handled moving forward.

19. Don

That I totally agree with. In addition, there may be people who now have 4 seats willing to cut back to two. There will also be those that forget just how bad those seats up high are compared to what they are use to. I'm not sure there are enough people on the wait list to even fill all the potential empty seats. I think this is why this is starting two years ahead of the opening of the new stadium.

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

dear god these tickets are more expensive then some houses

are you guys that loaded enough to spend 25 grand on season tickets?

damn