For the long time Die hards: What will go wrong?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KurtTheJetsFan, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Forgive me for living through the fake spike, Bubby Brister shuffle pass, Blair Thomas Fumble, KOB spike-turned-intentional grounding,Doug Brien, and on and on...But I'm taking a page from Joe Beningo. W/ all the optimism surrounding this team....history shows SOMETHING will go wrong. This is the thread to predict it.Maybe we'll destroy some bad karma along the way.

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Trend is out there to be broken, you know. Maybe it will be different this time. :)

3. Maybe if the team was from Boston.

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Won't touch this with a 10 foot poll.

A little lesson in Karma, I was walking through the hallway at work and a Giants fan says, hey did you hear F@rve got injured and is out for the year? I, scoffed at him and walked away. Then you know what? The next day Osi gets knocked out for the year...

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I was going to say something but after hearing this, I agree completely and will keep my mouth shut.

6. NJrocket24

NJrocket24 Well-Known Member

I used to have a coach that wouldn't allow trash talk, he said "whatever you say will come back to you three times". The guy was always right, anytime I said anything, it seemed to come back and bite me. It always comes back for you.

7. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I understand your concern, Kurt...but at some point, the dues has to be paid up. I believe the Jets are due for some good things to happen. :beer:

8. jets&rushfan

jets&rushfan New Member

The first and last games of the season are enough to cause nightmares.

9. Pavlus53

Pavlus53 Member

Yeah, I was going to say something about that too.

I'll be quiet now.

10. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Lots of things can go wrong given the Jets history:

1. Favre gets hurt and you then have Kellen "I Can't Beat Out Chad Pennington" Clemens as your QB.

2. Favre's personal relationships. Who knows how many records he might have to give to his fishing/hunting buddies this year? Will his antics come at critical times and diminish the Jets playoff hopes?

3. Chad Pennington and the mighty Dolphins defeat the Jets on opening day. This would basically ruin the entire season setting an incredibly bad tone.

4. Thomas Jones continues to average under three yards a carry and teams focus on Favre as he sets a new NFL single-season record for interceptions.

5. The Jets change their mind on PSLs and charge 10-20K for each seat in the house. Jet fans riot, destroy the current stadium, and the team's season has to be cancelled.

There's probably more but that's a good start. :wink::eek:hmy:

11. 624

624 Banned

our team orthopedist Dr. Elliot Hershman resigns

12. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Say it aint so!

The very fact that this thread was created is bad karma!

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

that would be a ton of interceptions

george blanda had 42 with the oilers in '62
    vinny testaverde had 35 with the buccaneers in '88
    frank tripucka had 34 with the broncos in '60

(don't mind the archy impression)

14. JetsLookingforDWare

3. Chad Pennington and the mighty Dolphins defeat the Jets on opening day. This would basically ruin the entire season setting an incredibly bad tone.>>>

Ruin the entire season?

This is what the old school Jets fans think from an opening day loss to a rival? The curtains have fallen on the season?

15. Determination#4

Determination#4 New Member

Thinking positive, moving on now !!!

16. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I know exactly what's going to go wrong.

Favre is going to play poorly in week 3 or maybe week 6 or week 9 and retarded, self-hating "die hard" Jets fans are going to throw him under the bus and ruin team chemistry.

I don't care how long you've been a Jet fan: shut the fuck up. The only thing I don't like about this team right now is the goddamn fans.

17. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

1991 - Jets GM Ron Wolf targets Brett Favre near the top round 2, a trade in place with the Cardinals to jump 2 spots up to get ahead of Atlanta. Cardinals pick comes and they bitch out. Jets would have taken Favre in the 1st round if they hadn't spent that pick in the supplemental draft on WR Rob Moore. Moore's younger brother Brandon currently plays for the Arizona Cardinals. Favre to Falcons, Nagle to Jets. Jets 8-8 and the curse is on. Yes, I am blaming this event and not the fake spike.

1992 - Ron Wolf, having been run out of Jets land, acquires Brett Favre for Green Bay for a 1st round pick (19). Falcons take RB Troy Smith with the pick (3 years, 485 yards, 1 TD) and the Falcons Favre curse is on. Favre goes to the pro-bowl and Jets go 4-12. Jets had a higher pick to trade (15) and take Johnny Mitchell instead (4 years, 2000 yards, 16 TD).

1993 - Jets pick up Boomer Esiason. Jets draft Marvin Jones at 4 overall when Bettis goes at 10. Did get Murrell in the 5th though. 8-8, yeah baby!

1994 - Fake spike... Does the curse really start here? 6-10 brings on the Kotite error. The final knee to the nuts for not getting Favre in 91 or 92.

1995 - 1996 - NO!

1997 - Present - Parcells aura gets the Jets back on track, but the curse persists. Martin fumbles when we have the Broncos beat. Vinny's achilles. Herm Edwards. Chad's injuries.

We were not cursed prior to the 90's. We had some good Jets teams in the 80's. The Namath deal with the devil curse apparently only affected the 70's. It is clear to me that Favre had to come here. The atrocities of the last 17 years had to finally be addressed. This is an exorcism. By getting the QB we were too stupid to get in the first place, twice, maybe our penance will finally be complete.

<-- Optomistic

18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

favre will breakdown, and will get injured...

we are so screwed. season over, because the confidence in the locker room will be low

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Nothing has to go wrong for the Jets to disappoint this year.

The things that have to go just right for them to be good are:

1. The run defense needs to be better than it has been for the first two years of the Mangini regime. If the 3-4 can't stop the run effectively for much of the year then the Jets are capped even if Favre is great and there's a real chance he'll be great.

2. The injury bug needs to stay away. This means no key injuries on what is a fairly shallow roster.

3. The Jets need to get some luck for a change and have the ball bounce their way, like it did in 1998.

My best guess is the Jets are a 7 to 9 win teams this year. That'd be a lot more entertaining than what we saw last year. I am, unfortunately, usually too optimistic in my preseason projections when it comes to the Jets though.

20. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

7 to 9 wins isn't optimistic with free agents we picked up, the draft we had, and the arrival of Favre. It's actually sort of pessimistic...

If Jenkins doesn't fix this run defense. Sutton and/or Mangini's defense needs to go.