Dustin Kellers Play

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Blitz4Life, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Blitz4Life

Blitz4Life Active Member

I dont know if there has been a thread about his play this past week against the Giants but I was somewhat impressed. I was at the game and the only thing I didnt like was a few short passes that he had dropped. Other than that he caught a nice pass from Clemens down the seem. Does any here think that this guy can become one of our main threats down field or will it take him a few years to be become a solidified tight end?

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I think we will see a small dose of what he can do this year. It will take this kid some time to be what he is projected to be. Around his 5th year in this league, there will be plenty of Keller jerseys worn at the stadium. He has the Dallas Clark in him, it just needs time to come out.

IN YEAR TWO HE'LL MAKE AN IMPACT. IN YEAR 5, EVERYONE WILL HAVE HIS JERSEY. ME INCLUDED.

#2 NDmick, Aug 25, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  3. Brien O'Ken

Brien O'Ken Member

He has played so well this summer in training camp and preseason, I half expect he'll have an immediate and significant impact this season. Am I being overly optimistic?

4. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

If it take him five years to hit his stirde he'll do it on another team. You don't wait five years for a first round pick to show what he's got. Not even if he is a QB. Despite all the groans on this site when he was selected, he's going to be a good one and you'll see it within a couple of years.

5. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I don't think so. It's football, if you get open and the QB finds and hits you, you'll make an impact. .

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

No, him impact will come in those seam routes, but the stats should look like:

42 rec. 458yrds, 2 TDs, 10.90 Avg, 37T Lng, 5.4 YAC, 27 1st, 2 FUM 0 LOST

Not a bad rookie year with Favre throwing to him.

If I'm right, I'm taking over the world.

What really impressed me was that catch near the sideline where he did 2 spin moves and refused to go down. That was a great sign of things to come. This kid will get a lot of YAC doing that.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

ok, maybe I phrased it wrong, but in year 5 - the Jerseys will be worn, not just newly purchased. I can see this kid hitting stride in the middle of year two - but to see a lot of Keller jerseys in a 80,000 stadium, it takes year 5 until everyone is on the bandwagon.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

5th year in the league? Most people don't last 3 years in the NFL. Where do you get these numbers from?

Gates, Clark, all the good TEs establish themselves in the first year or two at most. He will too if he was worth the 1st round pick we spent on him.

NM..just saw your reply above.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Look above your post.

But I'll edit mine anyway.

10. Don

In any event, I think he will be a star and Favre likes him which means he could become a star this year.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

You can definitely see the talent this kid has out there, but he has dropped 2 of the 8 (25%) passes thrown to him so far. They hit him right in the hands too. I'm not overly concerned about it at this point, but I think he needs to change his number. :smile:

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Any time Favre put the words "Tremendous" and "Talent" one after another when speaking about a rookie - he's got to be special.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

its scarily true even though you're being sarcastic. I think WRs can't wear 81 and QBs can't wear 14.

14. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

Stats like that would put him as maybe the best rookie TE in the last 10 years.

None of the current league leaders had rookie numbers that good:

Witten (35-347-1)
    Clark (29-340-1)
    Cooley (37-314-6)
    Gates (24-389-2)
    Gonzalez (33-368-2)

15. johnny_blood

johnny_blood New Member

Favre likes tight ends generally, and he seems to like Keller specifically, so he could do something this year.

My two worries are whether he can block and how much playing time Franks and Baker receive.

If he has to be taken off the field whenever the TE needs to block, that will hurt. What sort of blocker is he?

Franks and Baker, I don't know. Franks has slipped a bit but could come back. I don't really know anything about Baker.

16. Don

He's not a true tight end. He is more an H-back and I expect his numbers to be much higher than any of those. At least 600 yards and 4 TDs.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

ok ok, I'm Jet fan.

But he should be somewhere around Gates and Cooley.

How about Kellen Winslow? 89 Receptions in his 1st full year. Granted it was his 3rd year in football, but still thats really impressive.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Neither is Clark though.

I do agree with your projected numbers. With Favre at QB I just can't imagine him not getting a lot of touches.

19. Don

You're right, Clark is an H-back too. One of the reasons his numbers are always so good.

20. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

I think he will make his living in the seams, opening up things for Cotch and LC considerably, and vice versa.

He still has a lot of work to do blocking wise to become a complete TE but I think he will be a valuable weapon for us from day 1 regardless.