Gholston VS Giants play by play. Not as good as FakterX's from last week.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, Aug 24, 2008.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

This a short play by play without detail of the situation and down. Just what he did. I was inspired by Fakterx, but he did it much better than this. Enjoy...

Overpowers LT Diehl, but Manning gets it off in time. Only Jet to get pressure on the play.

Gholston in a 5 technique with Rhodes blitzing. Took on only the LT and moved him back again, displaying his raw power. Manning got the pass off again.

Gholston against LT Diehl again. Gets past him on the 1 on 1, but Manning's timing prevails as the screen pass gets off. Gholston the only Jet applying pressure. 2 pressures in 3 snaps for Gholston.

Runnging play, Gholston lost contain thinking that the run was not a counter. Rookie mistake - with experience, it goes away.

Almost same play. Gholston gets praise from Buttle on his ability to maintain contain and allow teammates to make the play.

Gholston is now in coverage against pre-season sensation Domenick Hixon. Hixon puts a move on Gholston and makes a 7 yard catch.

On a 3rd and 1. Gholston coming off the edge to the inside stops Brandon Jacobs. The tackle wasn't pretty, but he was the first to make contact and force him back. Eric Barton with the help, and apparently the credit. But replay shows Gholston making first contact.

Gholston lined up against the LT. Nothing special as Manning gets the pass off. More of a QB contain then a pass rush.

Running play away from him. Quick tackle of the right side. Nothing to report.

Lined up on the left side. He was confused as to who he had, the FB or the LT. He was slow getting off the ball due to the fact, but he creamed the FB anyway, but the pass got off.

The Fullback was his responsibility again. FB waited to chip block and then move, but Gholston stayed home with the FB coming at him and almost deflected the pass. He is grasping the playbook and field awareness. Its coming folks.

Gholston against the RT, he uses his speed to get by, but gets pushed passed Manning. He was almost there, but didn't work.

Gholston is now sent on a stunt, but the RG picks him up and moves him towards the Center. Manning gets the pass off.

Lined up against the RT. Blitzing. Gets pressure, but no sack. He now has 5 pressures on Manning. That is a good sign. He is not as absent as people think.

Lined up against RT. Bliziting again. The RT is getting pushed back, and Manning moves in the pocket to move away from the battle between them. He is not getting off the blocks, but is is moving his guy. He is very very very strong.

Lined up 5- technique (I personally don't like this). He does really nothing, gets tripped up by CJ Mosely.

Lined up against RT. Moves outside, but run is off the RG. He went the wrong way, Rookie mistake. Camera shows Bob Sutton - I got angry.

On the RT side again. Pass rushes. Quick Pass. No impact.

Next Play is the same as the previous one, but got closer to Manning. Meh.

On the Pace 16 yard sack. Gholston blows pass the RB Ward, and pursues. If Pace missed, Gholston would have had a sitting duck waiting for him. Good play by the whole team on this one.

Gholston lined up off Tackle. Gets stood up by the FB. 4 yard gain by Bradshaw.

Gholston lined up opposite RT. Pushing him back, but Mosely got the sack negated by the penalty.

Gholston lined off RT. Pushes inside contain. Drew Coleman with the sack.

Lined up on TE. Run play away from him. No impact.

Gholston lined up on the TE. Run play away from him, but he pursues and make the tackle. Good play.

Lined up on TE. Gets sealed off to the inside. Run goes for 4 yrds. Good play by the Giants.

Lined up on TE. Bradshaw goes towards Gholston. VG wiffs a bit as Bradshaw gets a shove but nothing else and runs out of bound before Bowens can get to him. Gholston needs to attack more and not just use the shove that worked in college. Needs more technique.

Lined up on RT. Gets blown off the ball on the run. Bradshaw with the 5 yard gain. He has to work on his run stopping reads. He's still to unsure. It comes with experience.

Lined up on RT. Pass Rushes. Contained by a double team as the play is thown away from him.

Gholston is now in coverage. He covers #28 just right and take the read away. Carr is then sacked. Good job on his assignment.

Lined up on TE. Draw play up the gut, no impact.

Overall - Gholston is making strides, understanding the playbook and his assignment, and getting comfortable on the field. His progress is positive, but the only thing now lacking is the big play. His run stopping needs work, but that is coachable and comes with experience. He was a slight project coming out of college, but I have all the confidence he is going to be a nasty OLB for the Jets for years to come, but us as fans need to have patience and to root for this kid. He is going to be special. Ohio States graduation rule really hurt his progress.

2. NJrocket24

NJrocket24 Well-Known Member

Buttle said on Jets nation he is now walking and not crawling anymore. He said he'll be running soon enough and he's not worried. He's seen good things coming.

3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Greg Bubbles talks as crazy as me. But I understand him. Hehe.

4. luckiestman

luckiestman New Member

i watched the game, and will rewatch it tonight. my first impression is that he didnt look like a fool out there. i couldnt say the same thing last week

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Buttle is a raging jack ass most of the time. Some of the crap that comes out of his mouth is amazingly stupid. I'm not saying I disagree with him on this point, but he seems to be a moronic moron.

6. NJrocket24

NJrocket24 Well-Known Member

If he was any different, he wouldn't be buttle. He sounds drunk without the slurring.

7. Devman14

Devman14 New Member

is he going to play the final preseason game? I hope so because he needs the practice.

8. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Kids a rook and its just preseason but he has looked pretty shitty for a 1st round pick...so far. gonna be a long season to prove himself though.

9. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

What the hell are you talking about?

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

In the NFL, the jury is out until YEAR 3.

He'll do it after 1.

11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Guys, haven't you heard? He is getting paid like a veteran which means he should be playing like one by wk 3 of the preseason.

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Most players in the NFL don't last 3 years.

13. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I did this and I agree, he looks like a rookie, but a promising one.

And if I may add to the initial post: he knew immediately that he had lost contain on that counter and that it was his fault, you could see him, at the end of the play, put his hands on his head like, oh man, I fucked that up. Recognizing his errors that quickly is a positive.

14. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Um I have only one problem with this sentiment. He is not getting paid like a Veteran. He is being paid like a superstar. Therefore he needs to show some type of flashes early on in the year. I like what I have seen/heard from him so far in camp, but learning time is running out, he needs to get it together quickly if he wants to have any kind of impact come week 1. I fully expect his ass to be in high gear by the time the bye rolls around.

I also was not in favor of Gholston, I was thinking that he was too much of a project for the #6 pick in the draft. So far he has proven to be a project, I want a football player if i am selecting that high in the draft. I wanted us to either snag chris long, or find a way to trade down and pick up a guy like Brandon Albert, Jerod Mayo, or Limas Sweed....

This isn't too say Gholston wont be a stud in time, but I am worried about the kid. He was far too important a pick for our franchise (made even more so by the Favre deal) we have a 1-2 year window to win it all before favre leaves, so we need everyone firing on all cylinders...

15. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

You have more excuses than a person on public assistance. These threads remind me of the Dbust threads. Where Jet fan try to find some positive to say about player, when it obvious the Guy is getting the job done.

16. SameOldJets2008

SameOldJets2008 New Member

most NFL players dont get 50 million dollar contracts right out of college.

Guys, hes learning a new position and adjusting to a whole new game. Lets at least give him this whole year before we begin the bust talk.

Hell, i would be happy if this year he is just a situational pass rusher and only plays on third downs. We actually have that luxry with him.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I didn't do the thread you wouldn't be here. Get off my dick.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Bad use of facts. It doesn't work here.

19. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Excellent report.

From an in person view, my complaint was more with how he was being used than how he was playing. I wanted to see him being unleashed more, not running so many contains and coverages.

20. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Do you have One? Nancy. Can you please provide Gholston stat line for the game the other Day? Thanks. IF the QB would have hold the football as long as K clemens ,Gholston would have made a sack. See how dumb that sounds.

Defense T-A SCK INT FF
    D. Lowery 4-1 0.0 0 0
    D. Barrett 3-0 0.0 0 0
    D. Bowens 3-1 0.0 0 0
    K. Brown 3-0 1.0 0 0
    D. Harris 3-1 1.0 0 0
    C. Mosley 3-0 1.0 0 1
    E. Smith 3-0 0.0 0 0
    D. Coleman 2-0 1.0 1 0
    V. Gholston 2-0 0.0 0 0
    K. Jenkins 2-1 0.0 0 0
    C. Pace 2-1 2.0 0 0
    E. Barton 1-0 0.0 0 0
    A. Carroll 1-0 0.0 0 0
    K. Coleman 1-0 0.0 0 0
    K. Cummings 1-0 0.0 0 0
    A. Elam 1-0 1.0 0 0
    J. Ihedigbo 1-0 0.0 0 0
    J. Miller 1-0 0.0 0 0
    R. Pitoitua 1-0 0.0 0 0
    H. Poteat 1-0 0.0 0 0
    S. Pouha 1-0 0.0 0 0
    D. Revis 1-0 0.0 0 0
    K. Rhodes 1-1 0.0 0 0
    C. Spencer 1-3 1.0 0 0
    B. Thomas 1-1 0.0 0 0

Those two tackles Gholston made against the Giants, I clearly saw A PLAYER ON THE CUSP OF GREATNESS.

#20 Raiderjoe, Aug 25, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2008