CB Debate: Jets' Lowery vs. Raiders' Branch

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Mr Electric, Jun 2, 2008.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

How come I've seen Lowery clocked in at 4.31 and 4.52, and yet he is super slow? Can we take the average at 4.42 and call it a day?

Also, before a broken jaw and a bad 40 time, Lowery was on the 1st round bubble, making him a top 40 pick. So a bad track speed and an injury make him suck, even though his intangibles are great, loves to watch game film and is known as a quality guy in the locker room.

Btw, just because the Raiders picked up a CB that may have been on the board before us means nothing. It didn't upset us at all. The Raiders got a guy who was always sloted to go in the 4th round. We got a guy who has a 1st round mind and determination, but was hindered by minor setbacks pushing him to the second day. I'll take the latter.

#61 NDmick, Jun 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  2. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

I think Branch has a higher ceiling but I think Lowery can be a solid pro. I don't ever see him as a starter but as a nickel guy that can play some free safety and some corner in more of a zone scheme I think he'll be a solid role player. And when you look at when he was drafted you can't ask for too much more.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If the Jets wanted Lowery over Branch the timing of the trade down in round four seems suspicious. Chances are that Branch or one of the other players taken early in round four was their guy. Since the pick was a DB Branch was the most likely target for the Jets.

4. blackbusiness

blackbusiness New Member

I agree Lowery is a solid nickel.

#64 blackbusiness, Jul 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  5. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Don't let the facts get in the way.
    First off I don't care what the school (san Jose ST) says they clocked lowery in. ITs just like the schools always make this guy out to be alot bigger and when he gets to combine, the player is a couple inches shorter .

The Facts is Lowery rana 4.61 at the combine. 4.58 - 4.61 at his proday Why would he run if his leg wasn't completley healthy.

03/21 Live Pro Day Updates: San Jose State/Marshall/Vanderbilt

Just a few workouts on today's schedule as a large number of scouts head home for the Easter holiday. Here's the low down on the San Jose State workout with some notes from Marhsall and yesterday's event at Stanford.

Offensive lineman John Booker looked terrific today and really turned a few heads. Booker measured 6-feet-4.5-inches and 313-pounds, much lighter than expected. He posted a 31-inch vertical jump, 9-foot broad and completed 27 reps on the bench. Booker ran his first forty in a time of 5.10 seconds with a 5.20 reading on the second attempt. His short shuttle was 4.58 seconds even though Booker slipped and he posted a time of 7.80 seconds in the 3-cone. He then looked terrific in position drills.

Scouts are looking at Booker, who played tackle for San Jose State, as a guard at the next level. The Kansas City Chiefs and St. Louis Rams have shown a lot of interest in Booker.

Matt Castelo also lit it up for scouts. The smallish linebacker measured 5-feet 10.5-inches and 225-pounds. He completed 25 reps on the bench, posted a 38-inch vertical jump then ran his his forty's between times of 4.58-to-4.61 seconds.

Quarterback Adam Tafralis had an exceptional workout then threw the ball well in position drills. Tafralis measured 6012/224lbs, posted a 37.5 inch vertical jump, 9'5" broad jump and ran his forty's between 4.68-to-4.75 seconds. Besides showing accuracy Tafralis threw the ball 65-yards flat footed in one drill.

A number of teams, including the Seattle Seahawks, have talked with Tafralis about switching positions and possibly moving to the H-back or the fullback spot. Teams feel he would be a good fit there considering his athleticism and toughness. Scouts also think Tafralis will be a good special teams player.

Dwight Lowery was not fortunate today. The opportunistic corner ran slow 40 times which ranged between 4.56-to-4.64 seconds. While there is no doubting Lowery's football skills, poor forty times are going to push him out of the initial 100 selections in next months draft.

NOw the book on Lowery is not only is he slow, but he let alot of inferior recievers catch alot of balls on him. He might have been a very good college CB, but he isn't going to be a very good Cb in the progame. Dosen't have the skills to suceed on the prolevel. NOw Wake up and smell the coffee. Lowery is camp Fodder ,and isn't see any time in Jets lousy secondary.(thats how bad he is)

#65 Raiderjoe, Jul 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  6. JetsLookingforDWare

I really think you might be mentally fuckin retarded Joe.

Read that Lowery thing you yourself cut and pasted for us:

Dwight Lowery was not fortunate today. The opportunistic corner ran slow 40 times which ranged between 4.56-to-4.64 seconds. While there is no doubting Lowery's football skills, poor forty times are going to push him out of the initial 100 selections in next months draft.

So...theres no doubting his football skills and he was a borderline top 100 pick...how in the fuck is he camp fodder?

Seriously...go home dude. You can't even write a proper fucking sentence...

And yes, I realize it doesn't help to provoke the retarded...sorry bout that rest of the board.

7. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Simple there is no doubt what he ran at both the Combine and at his proday. That poor time is a fact. You can come up with a bogus 4.31 time he ran for the school. The other point while there is no doubting Lowery football skill (etc. is the writer personal opinion. Who cares what he thinks. Do you understand the diffrence.

Im no scout but I can show you numerous draft reports that say Lowery not that good. That alot of inferior WR caught alot of balls on him. Not good with his lack of speed and fact that NFL recievers are alot betterthan the WRs he saw in college.

8. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Defense T-A SCK INT FF
    T.Branch 1-0 0.0 0 0
    D. Lowery 7-0 0.0 1 0, PR-TD

I know it?s just preseason, but hey, we?re debating with Jeaux here.

9. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

while it was only Cleveland scrubs, Lowery did have a great game. and well Branch was clearly less than spectacular against the 49ers, or at least according to the stat line...

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

And then there was Thursday, and Jeaux was wrong again...

11. The GM

The GM New Member

Lowery is looking impressive, but I must come clean and admit that I love Tyvon Branch. The man is 6 ft tall, runs a 4.31 40 and plays a very physical brand of football. Raiders got a great player.

*However* - Branch excels in zone coverage and struggles in man. I believe the Jets are more of a man cover team, which is why they went with Lowery.

12. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

The trade down is the best argument about the Jets intentions. If they really wanted Lowery they would have just stood pat and selected him. With the Raiders swooping in and stealing Branch, Tannenbaum needed more time to make his selection. Thus the move down in the 4th.

But I'm happy with Lowery. He looks like a good player so far. Maybe our #2 CB.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I have a feeling that Branch may have been in the Jets plans, but since the Raiders took him, Tanny knew that Lowery was going to be around - so why not get extra picks and wait on your guy, knowing no other team is going to take him that you moved behind.

14. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

I forgot that this was a debate between Branch and Lowery. Well, we all know Jeaux's stance on this topic. Any player to ever garnish a raiders jersey will be better then everyone else in the NFL, regardless of achievements accomplished.

* Note how I did not capitalize raiders. I simply cant acknowledge that they are a professional football team with the talent they have put on the field in the last 5 years. They dont deserve the R.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Branch broke his Thumb?? That blows, while Lowery looks amazing against 1st team offenses and may take the #2 spot. Jets win.

#75 NDmick, Aug 17, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  16. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Yea but it still preseason. Lets see if Lowery do0es anything when the regular season starts.

17. German Jets Fan

I wonder what that would sound like if Branch would look like the real deal in Preseason...

18. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

i think we both already know. Thats whats so great about Jeaux, we already know what he is going to say regardless of the situation. BTW, the raiders havent won more then 6 games for the last five years, but of course they are so good now that they will be 12-4. Just like every one of the last few seasons.

oh, I wish i had the drugs this man has.:rofl:

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

yea but.... yea but...... yea but..... ummmm ummmmm.

Lose.

20. German Jets Fan

yep, he does.