Joe Namath Vs Phil Simms

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 8, 2008.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He only had 2 postseason apps w/ Weeb and Ween left after '73 w/ only 3 more years in NY for Joe. I don't know if anything would have been different.

2. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

That Giants team had an awesome O-line and awesome defense. Simms was in the right place at the right time, they won the next one without him from December on through the playoffs. Earlier in his career he lost his job to Scott Brunner and Jeff Rutledge. That would have never happened to Namath.

3. balls777

balls777 New Member

no one had more flair than joe willie

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Simms had a better career, Hostetler was an excellent backup and short term he did a great job for the Giants but if he had to play all year the Gaints wouldn't have ben in that position. In the NFC playoffs they won b/c of D, they held Chi to 3 in the div rd and held SF to 13 in the Championship game including getting the key turnover late. The SB was all offense for the giants and all holding onto the ball which they needed the great gorund game for and Hostetlet managed that game well but they would not have been in position w/o Simms. Simms is an underrated QB, obviously Namath was the better talent but Simms was able to overcome his early injury problems while Joe was always injury plagued.

5. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I fail to understand a comaprison of two completely different style quarterbacks, 2 completely different eras, in 2 completely different stadiums, no less.

Namath had the quickest release of any quarteback I have ever seen. Phil Simms threw with pin point accuracy. What else is there to compare?

6. The GM

The GM New Member

Namath.

Broadway or Bust.

7. 66_Ray

66_Ray New Member

Is that you the anti Farve GM from PC now I have to block you here too

8. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

I like how between the two of them NYC gets to claim Super Bowl greatness. Namath provides a shocking upset that lead to the merger while Simms' performance (22-25 for 267 yards and 3 TDs) still stands as the closest to perfection any QB has come in the Super Bowl.

But I do agree that you can't really compare them, the game was very different for both of them.

9. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

he would have had a much better team around him. charlie winner, hess and steve gutman didn't have the desire or talent to do that. i was impressed that both walt michaels and walton were able to win as many games as they did.

i still say that hess knew he going soon, so he finally brought in the tuna with a win-now approach.:wink:

10. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Uhm, I think Simms was definitely more than "slightly" better than Pennington. Chad is a good quarterback but Phil was a VERY good quarterback with no significant physical limitations.

#30 slimjasi, Aug 13, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  11. slimjasi

I think Namath was the better talent and was better in his prime than Simms was in his. (However, Simms probably had a better career due to Namath's knee injuries which drastically shortened his career.) If I had one game to win, and I had to pick between the two, I would take Namath.

(Both were excellent quarterbacks)

12. slimjasi

CO-SIGN. Batman would beat the shit out of aquaman.

13. slimjasi

This is going too far. Namath was an all-time great talent, but NO ONE was the pure passer Dan Marino was. Marino dealt with mediocre defenses (and sometimes horrible defenses) and NO running game his entire career. To me, Marino was better than a lot of "all-time great quarterbacks" who were lucky enough to get a ring or two because they were on BETTER TEAMS. (Elway is the perfect example of this)

14. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

I've seen a lot of quarterbacks over the years and the best I've ever seen were Montana, Marino, Unitas, and Namath. No other QBs belong in the same category. Of course Joe was hurt by all the injuries and carousing so in a list of top quarterbacks you won't generally find his name. However, he had as much impact on the game as any QB that every played and was more fun to watch.

P.S. Manning and Brady may one day join that group, but not quite yet.

15. slimjasi

I have to say I really do like your list. I agree with everyone one on it except for Joe, just because I think injuries are such an important part of the game that they should "count" as far as ranking players goes. (Although I totally agree that he was as talented as any of those other guys with maybe the exception of Marino, who I just think is the best pure passer in the history of football) It really is a shame that Joe suffered so many injuries, there's no telling how good he could have been. Yeah but great list nonetheless.

(By the way, I think it's safe to say that BOTH Manning and Brady will be up there with those guys when they retire, just as you suggest)

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Nobody has ever thrown like Namath. He used a 2 step drop and could then throw the ball 60 yards downfield.