Let's be clear about expectations, Brett

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GSourJr, Aug 10, 2008.

1. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

True, but the games were mostly close and they could do nothing on offense. It is not unreasonable to think that they can do more this year. With a Favre at QB last year we might have played close to .500.

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Don't fool yourself. Favre is going to make our offense dynamic but without the upgrades we made to the offensive line, Favre would never have come here because he would've been spending a solid majority of his life with the Jets on his ass.

3. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Great post and avatar! Good job!

4. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

No, the option to play Kellen now is to see what we got.

Instead of waiting a year or two, and then bringing in yet another high draft pick at QB or FA to stabalize the position after Brett leaves.

5. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

This is perfectly sensible if you think that the coaching staff is still unsure about Clemens. Unfortunately, my belief is that they probably don't make this deal unless they've come to the conclusion that he is not the answer.

On the other hand, I just don't see why anyone would think keeping Chad would have been better than having Favre. The ceiling with Chad is IMO blindingly obvious, and it is well short of the Super Bowl. Favre may end up stinking, but his ceiling is much higher, and given that neither is the QB of the future, that's more than enough of a reason to make the move. How it ends up turning out is completely besides the point.

6. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Oh I agree, Chad was not the answer. But if you don't think Kellen is the answer, and are using Favre as a stop gap solution. Then who is the answer? I just hope they have a plan after Favre calls it a career again.

Live in the now, that is fine, go for it.

But long term answer, I am not sure what the plan is. Ratliff, Ainge or Clemens, or a player yet to be determined?

But if they are just trying a desparation move with Favre with no plan, after this year, then what?

7. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I think that that is the key. Personally, I think people expecting the Super Bowl now (or even the AFC Championship Game) are being silly - there are way too many very good teams in the AFC, and the Jets have far too many question marks, to have that sort of expectation. I just think that arguing that unless Favre takes the team deep in the playoffs this is a bad trade is also silly, since there's no reason to think anyone else on the roster would have done it either (even if someone thinks Pennington had the ability to do so, there was always a 50/50 shot he wouldn't even make it to the end of the season).

Personally, I'm not overwhelmingly positive about the long-term future of the Jets. A lot of the players they are counting on probably only have 2-3 more good years, and as you note, the biggest long-term question mark is at the most important position.

8. NJrocket24

NJrocket24 Well-Known Member

I think we'll be a solid playoff contending team. People that are expecting a superbowl are not being realistic. Our team has made big strides and we can do some special things, if we get hot and go on a run.

All I ask for is a team that is competitive, plays its heart out and has a legitimate shot to win each game they are in.

9. 4ever4

4ever4 New Member

ive been a favre fan for a long time. he will lose 1-2 games a year just by being a gunslinger, but he does win alot more then he loses. i dont say any reason why the jets dont go 10-6 at least this year.

10. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

That doesnt matter to a lot of people around here. They blame Chad for games he didn't even play in.

11. MizzouJet

MizzouJet Well-Known Member

First to blame the travesty of last season on the dumping of Kendall is jsut plain foolish. It was a part, but only that...a part.

The D stunk for the first half of the season until Harris entered the equation. Let's see a full season out of him.

No QB was going to look even half way good behind our OL last year...

And, Mangini and Tannenbaum are going to be here for at least another TWO YEARS...so get used to them.