Get off Chad's back

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Al Dorow, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I am sure that's what the Jets would have preferred too. He was winning the job in camp. It couldn't happen because of money but don't worry Clemens will be gone soon enough. One thing for sure is he will never be the starting QB of this team unless Favre gets injured before Ratliff, Ainge or somebody yet to be named is ready.

#41 Don, Aug 9, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  2. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

CO-SIGN. I couldn't agree with you more.

The Chad hate on this board has always been over the top - but lately it has reached new and astonishing levels of absurdity. The dude bled green and white and did everything he could for the jets organization. I am THRILLED we got Favre and feel very strongly that releasing Chad was the right thing to do from the Jets perspective. But let's give the guy a break. When a team cuts a player, he's allowed to go whereever the fuck he wants. (Especially a guy who cared about his team as much as Chad did) Pennington is a dolphin - GET OVER IT.

3. slimjasi

Those people are clueless.

4. Don

Those are probably the same people who are upset that Favre is a Jet. According to the poll on the front page that is 22% of the people here. As somebody on ESPN and the FAN both said this week, you would have to be a complete idiot not to be happy that Favre is a Jet if you are a Jet fan.

Half the people on this board are just totally clueless.

5. slimjasi

Haha yeah. I've listened to and talked with so many people regarding this trade. Hearing someone try and mount a good argument against it is always amusing because their argument is always devoid of logic and simply untenable.

Afterall, NO ONE can effectively defend a position that is INDEFENSIBLE. :wink:

6. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Yo Jasi, you're classy just like Chad is/was. Could'nt agree any bit more there. We took care of our business by releasing him. He took care of his business by signing with a team. When he was a FA for one day, were the Dolphins his rivals? No. Then why the fuck people care where he went? Why are they raising hell about it? I tell you bro, these are the same people that probably claimed Chad is'nt worth being a starting QB and now they raise hell for him going to the JETS' rivals. If they really thought Chad was that bad, they are being hypocRATS.

7. Don

BTW mods, I think it's time to change the banner photo on the site and some of the articles that haven't been updated in a year.

8. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

1996 NY Jets: 1 & 15 dump Kotite and bring in Parcells
    1997 NY JETs: 9 & 7 just miss the playoffs
    1998 NY Jets: 12 & 4 AFC Finals

The guy was unloaded after giving everything he had to the Jets, yes he was paid very well.

Dumped, hurt and down he gets a call from Bill Parcells the man who drafted him, the man who has turned around several teams and is an outright NFL Icon and he shows him some love. He gets to work with Dan Henning one of the best QB guys in the business and someone I'm sure he is comfortable with. He gets more money than he can probably get anywhere else and pretty much guarantees he will start.

This is a nice professional move for Pennington. I'm not a fan of Pennington as the QB for the NY Jets simply because I don't believe in his arm. He was a great guy by all acounts a great team mate and he deserves our repect. That doesn't mean I root for him at our expense I don't and I certainly don't want to see Miami in the playoffs unless it's against us in NJ and we win but I like Chad and I like Parcells and this doesn't change that.

Al's post is spot on. Pennington is embedded in Jets history no different than if he ended up on the 49ers or the Bears.

#48 winstonbiggs, Aug 9, 2008
  9. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

This post is dead on. He went to a team with a FO and CS that he knows and that knows him and where he was guaranteed to start. Plus, like Favre, he wanted to get into camp asap to learn a new system and a new team. Who knows - maybe he didn't like playing for Herm. We also don't know if he received offers from any NFC teams, at least not yet.

I don't understand why Pennington, who is cut from the Jets, has his accomplishments (and there are many) denigrated and is labled a traitor. Yet Testaverde, whose career clearly ended years ago, was wished well as he left retirement to play for the Patriots!!! The hypocrisy never ends.

As for those who are saying that we will now see if it was the Jets or the QBs this year, that is not true. The 2008 Jets are far and away a better team than last year's team. There is no comparison between the two.

I would have preferred to see Pennington go somewhere else (except New England), but it is what it is.

So let's stop the Penninton bashing and the questioning of the loyalty of those who were in his camp. Those who rooted for the Jets to succeed with Pennington at QB could just as easily question the loyalty and commitment of those who openly rooted against him.

In the end, in this day and age of constant player movement, we are all (or should be) fans of the jersey and the name on the front, not the name on the back. It's time to move on and concentrate on this Jet team and this season.

10. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Who wouldn't want to live down in Miami?? It's all about location

11. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

I would say that the one obvious big blue-tick fly in the ointment with this stats argument is that the AFC world that the NYJs play in has been historically much stronger and more competitive than the NFC backwater that the GB Packers play in.

I also don't think QBs can be easily compared man-to-man, because if one guy's line lies down and whimpers, the other guy's line can make him a hero much more easily.

12. ess-dog

ess-dog New Member

I'm glad he's on the Fins...that's more wins a year for the Gang Green.

I can see Revis right now picking off one of Chad's wounded duck outs.

13. KleckoNamathToon

The truth is, Wednesday morning, Chad, as always, cared what Jet fans thought and did everything in his power to win your respect. Thursday morning, Chad no longer gives a damn what we think and did what was best for Chad. I am a Jet fan for life and hope we clobber the Fins everytime out but I wish Chad success. He deserves it.

14. NEJets

NEJets Member

Yes, too many people are clueless and fall in love with Chad. Put it simple way.
    1) Favre gives us much better chances to win.
    2) I hate anyone with Lolphins Uniform -- pray to god, hope he doesn'y have one. Other wise .....
    3) Root for Jets to beat Chad twice a year, no need to lick his ass.

#54 NEJets, Aug 9, 2008
  15. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Dear Joe Willie White Shoes,

Parcells is somebody I have always admired and respected. If you like football you have to give it to the guy for making every team he goes to much better than he found it before he leaves. Parcells is a good judge of talent -- look at all the coaches that worked for him that are doing pretty damned good in the NFL today.

Now he's set up a new GM and a new HC down there. He's embraced and nurtured along a resurgent Ricki Williams when Ronnie Brown's knee is rehabbing. He's brought in Jason Ferguson and he's figuring out about whether the "girl", Terry Glenn, can still cut it like ole Joey Galloway.

Just why in the hell do we think he beat a path to Chad Pennington's door all of a sudden?

"Come on down to the sauna with us, Chad, you haven't been sacked enough and we sure need ourselves some of those Pick-sixes you've gotten so good at, man!"

Parcells and his new boys are busy convincing that team they can play and win in the AFC East. Don't be naive.

The NYJs have done the very best they could think of this year. I've no doubts about that.

But one of the unintended consequences of this all-out NYJs effort will inevitably be the creation of a formidable resurgence of the hated fish.

It probably won't happen on the 8th of next month.

But it's happening. Count on it.

Our guys will do well to think damned hard and buckle up their chin straps real tight.

16. Jetdog

Jetdog New Member

My point... was to get off his back with the "noodle arm can't throw 20 yards" etc.... The data suggests he can and with some accuracy. I didn't want to start comparing QB's in general as you have. I realize that would be ridiculous.

17. winstonbiggs

Not a good argument during the Favre era. 92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 01, 02, 03 and 07 were Favre's pro bowl years not to mention 3 MVP's in the early 90's.

The NFC won the SB in 92,93, 95, 96. The AFC won in 97, 01, 02, 03 and last year in Favre's big come back year the NFC was arguably every bit as strong as the AFC and again won the SB.

18. Beamen

Beamen New Member

We cut him, and his agent said he had drawn interest from over a half-dozen teams.

One of those teams was in our division, and arguably our most bitter rival....

Chad's just trying to make a living?! He had two good seasons his entire career and was rewarded with one of the biggest contracts in the league.

GIVE ME A BREAK

You don't think it's personal? You're out of your mind... It's the exact same thing Favre wanted to do, trying to get into Minny. He wants a chance at payback...

I hope someone (Lowery?) steps up as our #2 CB, because if Chad performs well against us, after performing like chicken shit for us last season, I'll be pissed...

19. winstonbiggs

He got 11.5 million, Garcia played for 2 million last year. This was a great deal for Chad there is no way he gets close to that money or a guaranteed starting job anywhere else in the league.

20. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Yessir, I can actually see that thread now. "Was it Chad or Was it the Jets?"

The fish have the gall to beat us and Chad throws for three without INTs.

Chad's not at all stupid, and it's not just money he plays for, in spite of the fact that he has a good agent.

I'm afraid for all our bashing, Miami Chad's going to become as big a nemesis for us as Brady has -- if Parcells has anything to do with it.