negative look at Favre's acquisition

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Aug 7, 2008.

1. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

If he only stays for 1 year, we have unloaded Pennington's salary and Favre's and will have a ton of cap room to pursue a good FA. I don't think the loss of a draft pick is really going to mean that much.

2. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

Sure (and thanks for asking for my rationale rather than just trashing me for my opinion). My problem is not with what we gave up, but what we got in return.

I think we have just acquired a 38 year old QB the year AFTER he decided to end his HoF career because his heart wasn't in it anymore (and whose own team, given the choice, decided they were better off with an unproven QB).

He does not know the offensive system, which by most accounts is a fairly complex one.

He has not had the luxury of OTAs, minicamp, or the first few weeks of camp to learn the system and develop some chemisry with teammates/receivers. This leaves him with three weeks to play catch-up and be ready for the season. He is going to have to work harder than a rookie fighting to make the team to learn everthing he needs to, and I'm not sure that he will want to at this stage of his career/life.

He is well known as a risk-taking gunslinger, a trait that I suspect will not be popular with the coaching staff who value discipline and smart decision making very highly. I don't imagine he will accept their criticism with open arms.

He will hate the NY press and as a result not be a happy camper once the honeymoon is over and the jets lose their first game because of an INT.

I think we are far more likely to get the BF of 2-3 years ago who looked shot than we are to get last year's BF--who despite an AMAZING season still couldn't get his team to a SB.

I have other concerns as well but these are the biggies.

3. MarionBarber31

oh yeah, I forgot to mention something very important: I really really really hope that I am wrong about all of this ! From here on in I will be rooting like hell for our newest jet to have a great year and lead us to the Promised Land!

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Favre will be fine.

Ftr I think those trashing the deal should disclose if they are a Chad Fan or a Jet Fan. Opinions of the former can be completely discounted on this question.

5. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Oh man, I'm stoked!!!! This is just awesome.

6. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Really, this is all ridiculous. Does it guarantee success? Of course not. Does it make us better? Do I really need to answer that? Brett will be better at 52 than Chad ever was, let alone, 32. So a conditional pick that could go as high as the first round if we win the superbowl, or as in another report I read, as high as a second rounder. They stocked up so many players this year, that losing a pick next year won't mean shit. This is at minimum a break even situation, with a high probability of being one of the best moves any Jets front office in the past 10 years has made.

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The best part about all this is that while Chad Fans are still complaining, bringing in Favre makes them look ridiculous in a way that outright cutting Chad, as valid a move as that would have been, would not have. Even some Chad Fans realize this.

I'm not saying this was the primary motivation in Tannenbaum's mind, but it has sure worked out in a way that saves the franchise from the over the top complaints it would have received if Chad were just outright cut.

Works for me!

8. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

As usual, GH speaks truth. Plus, the deal being performance-based, you've got to love that the risk is minimized.

The ONLY problem I have with this trade - and I have to emphasize only over and over again - is Brett Favre's recent history of playoff failures. They've been disastrous. But, I have to think that new environments and new structure will eliminate those issues.

9. jaybny

jaybny Banned

the Post r just a bunch of right wing nuts!

10. winstonbiggs

He's coming to the Jets you can't discount the double negative impact.

11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

on top of your entire post being nothing but speculation, assumption and baseless opinions, this one simply defies logic. by all accounts, Mangini was heavily involved in recruiting Favre. now, unless you are insinuating that Mangini is the one person on the planet who isn't aware of Favre's risk taking, and will only be exposed to it now as his coach, the fact that Mangini recruited him despite Favre's risk taking means he's okay with it and believes the benefits outweigh the negatives.

12. BADMOO

BADMOO New Member

I'll speak as a Chad fan...

THIS IS A GREAT MOVE.

Chad had his chance, and they put Clemens in last year. Chad's a good player and I'll miss him (and if his cap number was better I'd want to keep HIM as Brett's back up).

Favre's going to be throwing a lot of INTs this season against NE and Buffalo, but he's also going to be chucking a hell of a lot more TDs than we've seen in the past few years.

If our D plays solid ball and keeps getting Brett back on the field we SHOULD see the playoffs.

I may even buy a #4 Jersey (and I never buy player Jerseys I have my #00 BADMOO Jersey because I'LL ALWAYS be a JET)

13. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

And the same can be said about the anti-Pennington crowd who love this deal. Hey it's not that the deal in terms of compensation. An escalating, conditional fourth round pick is not a bad deal for Favre. However, those that have pointed out possible issues of concern with the deal getting Favre - waffling, commitment to football, dissappointment (with the Jets being his fourth choice), recent history (save 2007) should be afforded that opinion.

Of course, if you believe that Pennington is the worst QB in the history of the NFL (like many here seem to) you are going to love this deal.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets aren't playoff contenders this year then all they gave up was a 4th round pick (which they apparently don't value at all despite Leon Washington, Kerry Rhodes and Jerrico Cotchery all being recent 4th round picks) and they cut Favre at the end of the season (cuz if he can't make the playoffs with the current talent he certainly won't be able to after the fuddlers have had another year at it.)

Personally I'd much rather have watched Clemens kick the ball around back there until it was obvious that he either was or was not the next Jet's QB. On the other hand ANYTHING is better than watching Chad back there again so I'm going to be entertained by the Favre Jets this season regardless of what happens.

On a final note, Favre probably resembles my favorite Jet's QB of all time (Joe Willie) more than any other QB in the NFL at the moment. He's brash and confident and has a strong arm and a willingness to try to thread preposterous throws through double coverage blindfolded with 2 linebackers hangin on him or as he is sprinting out of bounds. Sounds like it'll be fun.

And no I don't think the Jets are making the playoffs but ya never know.

15. thedonger

thedonger Active Member

you can add me to the minority in that i'm another who actually agrees with the article. let's be honest, this is not a sb ready team. we're still another season or 2 away, and i'm betting favre will be done by then. this only hindered our search for real qb stability.

16. winstonbiggs

There is some thing in the middle. I believe Pennington's injury made him at best an adequate caretaker for an 8 & 8 type of team. I like Clemens arm and release but he also doesn't appear to be ready yet. Management feels that the team that they assembled is a win now team. Favre, while probably highly over rated is still healthy and in a league full of below average talent at QB still highly competitive. Pennington has not been really healthy enough to go against the top rated defenses and threaten them. Favre is, it's really as simple as that.

17. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

they barely gave up anything to get him, there's no negatives......it's an upgrade no matter how you slice it.

18. MarionBarber31

Well, it's a message board. Opine and speculate is what we do here, no?

That said, I can't argue with your point about Mangini obviously having to been on board with the decision--although I haven't seen the "accounts" you speak of saying he "was heavily involved in recruiting Farve". I'm not saying he wasn't, just that I haven't seen "all accounts" (of course I've spent most of the morning here and not reading the morning news).

As I said, I hope I'm wrong...and I will happily admit it when proven so. Nothing would make me happier.

Time will tell...

19. Chris726

Chris726 New Member

ive always said it in my circles kellen to me is garbage... he will be nothing more then a 2nd rate qb... favre is here for 2 -3 years tops... then we will be qb less again... hopefully these nexct 3 years we find the answer post-favre

20. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

we showed 2 years ago we can beat the pats ending it with a shaun ellis sack, we also showed if we run on all cylinders we can shut out a hall of fame QB with a weak arm QB on our roster by a score of 41-0, we better talent and a hall of fame QB ourselves and a better secondary then we have had in a while talent wise, our linebackers are as good as if we had mo, and marvin jones in their young years, our dline has improved greatly and our offensive line is one of the best in the league, we have coles and cothery 2 tough WR's who is not afraid to get hit, a real good RB core, and once again one of the best offensive lines in the league, not to mention dustin keller chris baker, and bubba franks, who favre is familiar with. the bad side, he gets hurt or does not know the playbook in time and we lose 3 games at the begining of the season, but favre is a smart QB and will know the playbook in time. and probably win 2 out of 3 first games until we get into a rythm.