Favres a jet!!!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mean Green, Aug 6, 2008.

1. I bleed Jets Green

I bleed Jets Green New Member

Wow. Everyone is already altering their Avatar's with Farve.

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

They're talking about the confidence this brings to the Jets locker room on ESPN and I have to agree. Confidence is huge, and Brett brings it instantly.

3. Learn To Swim

Learn To Swim 2008 Nightowltom "Best Non-Jets Poster" Award Winn

Players primes are fleeting in the NFL. The Jets just added a lot of players in their primes to build a team around a trainwreck of a QB situation, which is like buying a ton of top-of-the-line shit for a computer that doesn't actually have a processor. All those accessories are going to be obsolete soon and your computer doesn't even work.

Well, the damn thing should work now.

4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I was not of the opinion that the Jets QB situation was better than the Vikings QB situation. Pennington looked shot last year. Clemens had excuses sure (first time starting, poor line play), but he still should have played better than he did last year. Neither inspired any confidence in 2007 and apparently were not doing so here in 2008, either.

I can understand the Vikings wanting to get Pennington. He would be more effective there because he'd play 10 or 11 games indoors (depending upon what Arizona does with the roof when the Vikings come to town) and two in Florida.
    Pennington in Minnesota could work in 2008 because of the schedule.

Week 7 would be the latest in the regular season where Minnesota could play in adverse conditions.

Problem is, dome or no dome, nice weather or bad weather, Pennington still cannot throw the ball well (relative to most NFL QBs). The Vikings biggest addition to their offense is Bernard Berrian. Berrian is simply not effective unless he is thrown deep balls. Pennington to Berrian is not a good connection whatsoever.

I am one of the rare fans who believes Tarvaris Jackson can be good. I think the Vikings should pick up Pennington, but they should let Jackson play his way out of the starting position. In other words, bring in Pennington to be the backup. He should only play if Jackson falls flat on his face.

5. United_Jets

United_Jets Active Member

I have similar feelings. Favre is a great sporting legend and an outstanding personality on the field..I was upset when he retired and considered buying a favre jersey....I think I might be doing that now!!!

6. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Almost spat my wheetos over my computer!!

Favre is a jet are 4 words I never thought I would here

Lets hope..

and the jets are superbowl winners in 2008 are words we get to hear!!!

7. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Seriously, I don't have the time nor the inclination to explain why bring in a 39 year old, old QB is setting the program back. Go read this article:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08062008/sports/jets/wrong_move_for_jets_123328.htm

And yes it's difficult to consistently win, although some teams do it much better than others (the Steelers for example). That doesn't mean that shouldn't be your goal.

As far as the team goes, everyone seems to have forgotten the Jets were 4-12 last year. Yes they had some okay, and yes I said okay, not great, free agent signings. Faneca is good, but Woody is a question mark. Jenkins, if he's motivated, is probably an upgrade at NT. Pace is a huge questions mark as a one-year wonder (remember Bryan Thomas). The team is weak at DE, weak in the secondary outside of Reevis and Rhodes, and questionable at LB outside of Harris. How people figure this team as Super Bowl contender is beyond me. It would be a huge pleasant surprise if they get even close to making the playoffs.

8. Favre2008

Favre2008 New Member

As another Pack and Favre fan that is in disbelief over Ted Thompson.. I have to say.. Go Jets in 2008!!!!

I know, you can call me a bandwagoner, but I'm pissed off enough that any team that is smart enough to trade for a 3 time MVP deserves to do well!

Good luck guys!!!

9. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

Say for arguments sake that they don't go to a Super Bowl (you feel so strongly about this because...???), how exactly will we be SO MUCH worse off having been a better team for a year or two?

What if we just locked down the QB position for two years with a HOF'er and two young backups (Ainge and Clemens)? Isn't that a good thing?

10. Tommy22

Tommy22 New Member

Who would you prefer to play quarterback for the Jets in 2008? Favre, Pennington, or Clemens?

11. Long Time Jet Fan

I can't argue this anymore. This site reminds me of the last poll I saw as to who was the greatest QB of all time. It was won by Michael Vick in a landslide. I just don't know a group can be so ecstatic over getting a washed up 39-year old to be QB, whose previous team didn't think they could win it all with him. I hope to be proven wrong but I'd be willing to bet you guys are going to be in for a huge letdown. And that's all I'm gonna say on the subject. I've made all the points I can make.

12. dubagedi

dubagedi New Member

I've always fucking hated that guy.

13. Long Time Jet Fan

Pennington or Clemens. I'd have to see the preseason games to get a better feel for which of the two.

14. Learn To Swim

Learn To Swim 2008 Nightowltom "Best Non-Jets Poster" Award Winn

You're being aggressively ignorant in this regard. They didn't bring him back because he kept jerking the organization around and letting Rodgers dangle in limbo. In the end it had nothing to do with which player they thought was better.

15. FlashGordon

Seriously??

So if Clemens didn't get the job, we should give up the season? No thanks.

Who cares? I'm too interested in what the Jets will do in the next couple years to stress about what position we'll be in two years from now.

16. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

holy crap it's almost 3AM. wtf. I better not wake up in the morning and realize this was nothing but a dream.

17. Tommy22

Tommy22 New Member

And you are immediately dismissing Favre because he's old, because we traded for him, or because people are excited we're getting him? Statistically, Favre is better than both Pennington and Clemens. Neither Clemens nor Pennington had been tearing up TC, so we shouldn't go after a guy who is an improvement? I don't understand how this is a setback.

The worst, worst, worst case scenario of- Favre is ineffective or hurt and the Jets miss the playoffs. What's the damage?
    -We lose Pennington. Big deal.
    -Clemens doesn't play. He learns under Favre, or replaces him during the season due to injury.
    -Clemens doesn't develop. We have two more seasons to scout and draft a quarterback who can do the job if Clemens can't.
    -We miss the playoffs. If we miss the playoffs with Favre, we'd miss it with any of our options at QB.

This is an opportunity to drastically improve a critical position. I have no idea why this can be seen as a negative. That article in the Post was absolutely backwards.

18. FlashGordon

And I don't know how you consider a guy who threw for 4100 yards and 28 TD's washed up. You keep saying things like "the Pack didn't want him," which Learn to Swim addressed above, and "he'll set the franchise back," as though it's impossible to develop a quarterback if Favre plays...or something... I don't know.

None of it constitutes a very compelling argument for your case, is all.

19. Tommy22

Tommy22 New Member

The Packers seem to think Rodgers developed under Favre. Maybe Clemens or another QB could too.

20. FlashGordon

Matt Hasselbeck was Favre's caddy for a while as well, in case anyone forgot.