negative look at Favre's acquisition

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Aug 7, 2008.

1. kmj6z

kmj6z New Member

I agree. I know everyone is a hopeless romantic who assumes we will make the superbowl, but in this era with this team there is zero chance of winning the AFC with Pats and Colts. We will lose 1st round of the playoffs, same as we could have done otherwise. And then what? Now Clemens development is held back because we just delayed the team two years, allowing the team to age.

Now when Clemens finally plays the team will be old, so of course when he sucks everyone can blame him.

2. Pavlus53

Pavlus53 Member

Leave it to the NY Post to give Favre such a friendly hello to New York.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I wrote that.

4. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

This move just reaffirmed to me that the Jets have zero faith in Clemens which is understandable to me because he's terrible.

5. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Do you REALLY think Clemens could be the answer somewhere in the future? He's shown absolutely nothing thus far, in my opinion.

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

really, this team was going to the playoffs without Brett at QB? ludicrous. he makes the team significantly better, whether they are better than the Pats or Colts is irrelevant to that fact. and the point of every season is to get better. the Jets did, and aren't mortgaging their future to do so.

7. ANJI

ANJI New Member

We got a chance to beat them now though. Clemens wasn't going to be ready this season. WE HAVE CHANCE NOW!!!!!!!!:jets:

8. Lunatic

Lunatic New Member

Completely agree, Clemens simply isn't that good and I would not be surprised to see a new QB drafted within the next two years.....

9. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Stunning that Vacarro didn't write this...

10. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

if we suck this year...it is the same scenario we would of had with kellen or chad
    we draft the qb of the future...and give them a year on the bench behind favre(if he sticks around) or kellen
    if we have success...we draft a qb of the future...and give them a year on the bench behind favre
    i don't see the issue...we are going to have to start over with a brand new qb in 2 years regardless of winning or losing

11. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

If Clemens was winning the QB competition, I just don't see them making htis move.

I think to the FO Pennington was winning the QB competition but he wasn't setting the world on fire. Chad was OK in training camp and Clemens was pretty bad. You expect more in the 3rd offseason than what Clemens showed.

The Jets will spend a first day pick on a QB in the next two years to become the new franchise QB- write it down. Clemens isn't the future.

12. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Honestly, screw em. We acquired one of the best QBs of all time to be our hired gun for a year or two. We weren't getting to a SB in that time with KC, so we got someone that gives us that chance.

13. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Yeah, Kellen Clemens and Super Bowl will never be in the same sentence. I don't hate the move for one reason: it means the Jets realized they messed up with Clemens. No fault in admitting to a mistake and admitting he's not the franchise.

14. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Clemens was winning? According to whom? I've been to 3 practice sessions this year, including the practice game. He did not impress me at all.

15. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Oh, I wasn't saying he was winning.

I was just saying if he was handily winning and the FO had faith in him, they wouldn't make this move. If Mangini thought Clemens was a franchise QB, they wouldn't have made this move. The fact is, like you said, Pennington is winning but he's hardly setting the world on fire. It's like the 4th and 5th place guys in the 100 meter dash. Yeah, the 4th place guy is winning but you're better off getting the first place guy.

His training camp performance and his performance last year likely put a damper on the expectations for Clemens.

16. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

This issue is if the Jets aren't playoff contenders this year you find yourself next year in the same position as this year. Assuming of course Favre doesn't start playing his asshole games all over again.

17. Phyr

Phyr Member

Drafting a first round QB next year?

18. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Or trade for Brady Quinn...:smile:

19. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

and if kellen or chad would fail...we are in that exact same scenario
    the only way we aren't drafting a qb of the future next year is if kellen clemens starts and takes us to the playoffs, but the front office didn't think that was going to happen...