Gholston may not be the starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Blitz4Life, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I'm saying they had no idea Harris would be as good as he is until he got in the games, otherwise Harris would have started the season. They may have hoped but they hadn't seen it. They probably were more comfortable with the idea of trading Vilma after seeing what Harris could do in real games. Without a crystal ball there was no way to know that before the season because Harris hadn't played yet. The original plan might have been to use both together--that's what I was hoping they would still do going into this year--but seeing Harris play the way he did probably changed their thinking.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I disagree with that, they already admitted they were shopping Vilma before the '07 draft.

3. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I have no doubt that they had conversations about Vilma prior to the draft, he had great value to a 4/3 team. If they didn't pull the trigger before the draft, why not after the draft when the got Harris unless they decided to play them together?

4. abyzmul

I have no idea about the timing of their decisions, maybe they were asking too high of a price and couldn't get any takers... and I know what you are getting at, but I think they have been trying to replace Vilma ever since they drafted Schlegel.

5. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I think you are probably right and Deware may well have been on to something when he eluded that Management not wanting to get rid of a popular player.

You have to wonder about some of the moves when they can get a guy they love in the second in Harris and didn't have the sack to trade Vilma for a two when they had questions if he would ever fit with the program they wanted to install? It makes me believe that maybe Mangini and Tannenbaum were not on the same page regarding Vilma from the begining?

6. abyzmul

One thing that I have been concerned with from the start is the lack of any definitive approach when installing the next schemes on both sides of the ball concerning personnel the past 2 years. This year was a bit different, but they were playing the Herm Edwards game on defense during '06 and '07 and I hate that.

That's one thing I agree with Parcells on. If you are going to overhaul a team, don't dance around players' egos, just clean house. They pussyfooted around issues way too much.