The Brett Favre thread. All Favre News Goes Here

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dr. Christian Troy, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steviep

steviep Active Member

You are missing the point. OBviously all the teams only play for a championship.

Most will say though that the point is to get into the playoffs with a CHANCE to compete. The other teams are trying too.
    There are other factors at work -- luck, etc.
    If a team is in the playoffs every year -- maybe the coach/qb/defense chokes every year -- but getting to the playoffs every year is not a failure.

2. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

Yes, you are correct in saying that. If the TEAM does not win the Super Bowl it is considered a failure. And thats what the head coach is, the TEAM. But, that doesnt mean each individual player is a failure. For example last year, our TEAM was a complete failure--disaster is probably a better word. HOWEVER, David Harris, Darrelle Revis, Leon Washington, Jerricho Cotchery, Kerry Rhodes were all successes. If you call them failures, that is just extreme manipulation of the word.

3. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

What alarms me is that you can't differentiate between players' goals and analytical approaches to evaluating the overall talents of the same players. It's that kind of cognitive failure that gives Jets fans a bad name (and believe me, we have a bad name).

4. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

Ken O'Brien was statistically a better quarterback than Joe Namath, yet Jet fans still consider Namath the best quarterback in their history because he won them a Super Bowl.

Stats are meaningless unless you win a Super Bowl, in my opinion.

5. steviep

steviep Active Member

So Dilfer and Johnson are better than Marino and Kelly?

6. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

Who was the better quarterback, Namath or O'Brien?

7. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

okay...I'll agree with that....because guys like Harris and Revis were successful as individual players last season...despite the team being a disaster.

I guess calling Pennington a complete failure as an individual would be incorrect....but his TEAM'S failed in accomplishing their goal to win a Super Bowl. Unfortunetly, it comes down to how the media perceives the QB...they get the credit when the team wins...and take the criticisim when they don't perform well.

But i see your point...

8. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

This is my train of thought as well.

The reason why i said Penny was a failure is because he didn't win us a championship. Sure he's had great statistical seasons....but who gives a fiddler's fuck about that....i care about championships.

9. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

We seem to have at least a 50% chance of landing BF. At least thus far, the Jets have reportedly made a much more attractive trade offer to GB, and we have better talent on both sides of the ball. A significant negative is selling life in New York to a guy who has lived in Green Bay and Mississippi his whole life. If the price is right, Brett Favre, Come on DOWN!!!

10. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Dana had cancer treatment in NYC. So im sure they both lived here for at least some amount of time.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

12. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

good to see everyone is caught up on the news that favre is willing to play for the JETS and we've apparently offered the best package to get him

13. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

I have been hesitant to enter into the quagmire that is the Brett Favre saga, but something Jay Glazer said on Mike & Mike this morning galvanized my position on this subject.

I have not been a proponent of trading for Farve all along, but (paraphrasing) this is what Glazer said: Last off-season the Packers put Favre through an intensive off-season program and it paid big dividends. With all the distractions this year, the Packers are concerned that they are going to get the Brett Farve of 2005 or 2006.

I think that is a legitimate concern. IMO Farve was horrific those two seasons. In 2005, Favre had 20TDs, 29INTs and a rating of 70.9. In 2006, Favre had 18TDs, 18INTs and a rating of 72.7. Now you can blame some of that on the support around him, but at 38, is it more likely that he has his second consecutive great season or that he continues his decline?

You add the Glazer comment to Brett's age, the NY media circus, and the lack of focus and I can't see why this is a good thing. I'm officially on the record as this being a VERY BAD thing for a franchise that has a history of very bad things.

DbJ

14. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Add to that he doesn't really want to play here.

15. steviep

steviep Active Member

That was a different thread -- whether Namath's career was a disappointment, injuries, etc.

OBrien's 1980's era numbers are good -- but if you watched the games -- youd know that he was average.

Three playoffs in 7 years -- not bad. Got sacked a billion times -- which made his numbers better than they should have been.

Played with good defenses and good players around him.

16. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Let's see being rich in NYC, or living in Green Bay or Mississippi? That's a tough one.

Even Jed Clampett knew when to move up.

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I am all for NOT getting Favre, like DBJ.

18. Italian Seafood

That team got so good for a while, it's no coincidence that Richard Todd's last couple years here and O'Brien's first few were the best for each guy. It's still a team game at the end of the day.

19. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

I heard that also this morning and it makes me think that's the reasoning for the Packers not really wanting Favre as their QB and going with Rogers

20. Italian Seafood

If they wanted him they would have brought him in to play. Sure it would be unfair to Aaron Rogers, but the NFL isn't fair, you think they'd care? They don't owe Rogers anything, and they can keep him if they really wanted to regardless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.