Gholston may not be the starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Blitz4Life, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Blitz4Life

Blitz4Life Active Member

I was watching Jets Nation and they were saying that Vernon Gholston is having a rough transition learning the playbook and knowing where to line up etc. I am a little concerned about this being that he is a top 10 draft pick. Does anyone think he will be starting by day 1 or will he probably split time with someone else?

2. VeniVidiViridis

VeniVidiViridis New Member

He will be playing passing downs. I don't think anyone ever expected him to be a starter day 1. He has a lot to learn with the new position.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

We should expect Gholston to take a while to settle in. He's basically learning a new position. He'll probably just be used as a situational pass rusher until he is comfortable with all aspects of the position.

Nothing to worry about.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I am a little disappointed due to the fact that the Jets' 1st rounders the past couple of years have all been immediate contributors, but I'm not surprised. I think most people on this board assumed he wasn't going to start in week one. However, this is only his second week with an NFL team, I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect him to be doing well this early. He's going to be playing multiple positions in multiple sets.

5. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

yeah, i agree. i never expected him as an every down player, just yet.

6. sheerterror

sheerterror New Member

I don't think this is that big of a deal. Not being the starter on day 1 gives him more time to learn the playbook/position better. Maybe it will light a fire on Bryan Thomas' ass to perform better knowing there is a highly drafted, ultra talented rookie waiting in the wings to take his starting job from him.

#6 sheerterror, Aug 4, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  7. MeanGreens08

MeanGreens08 Member

No worries here we all should have seen this one coming. He will def get a lot of playing time this year mainly on passing downs. Once he has time to digest everything in the playbook he will do just fine. Before the year is over he will have started a few games im sure.

I agree though that this will or at least should light a fire under BTs ass. Hell if it doesnt he could start more than just a few games.

8. DCanadian

DCanadian Active Member

What a bust

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I would agree more with that than any of the other ridiculous comments above. You pay the guy as a number 4 pick and then want to treat him like a QB who needs three years to learn the playbook. The people on this board never cease to amaze me with their blind love for anything wearing green.

10. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

heyyy Don's back.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hey Donny boy, remember when you relentlessly bashed the Revis pick right up until game 1 last year? That was some funny shit.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Hey Don where ya been? We missed ya.

He was the #6 pick, and we're not showing "blind love" for him we just have more reasonable expectations of a guy learning a new position in the 2nd week of his NFL career. The majority of us haven't seen him play a down, so it would be hard to love him or hate him yet.

edit: That linebacker we got in the 2nd round last year didn't start right off the bat either. He seemed to do pretty well once he got in.

#12 WhiteShoeWillis, Aug 4, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  13. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

I don't think any knowledgable people expected him to start right away. the guy was a DE in college and now will be playing LB in a 3-4. That is a tremendous change in responsibility. His job will be simply to "get the QB" at least for now, which is fine.

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The Jets will use a rotation with the linebackers. This was assumed a long time ago. Gholston will be playing some downs Week 1. Thats all that can really be expected.

15. sheerterror

sheerterror New Member

"Blind Love" aka benefit of the doubt that he doesn't suck until he proves otherwise...

16. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Gholston couldn't attend mini-camps due to league rules, so I would not be surprised about his inability to pick-up the playbook in a week. Like others said not many people expected him to be the starter from day 1.

Back to the playbook...it has been a little over one week and zero-preseason games. I am not concerned.

17. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

uh.....you're talkin about evo's pic, right?

18. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

I know. You'd think this was a Jets fan website or something.

19. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

haha yeah. at least Bradwaysux has been consistent and relentless with his caustic remarks about trading up for Revis and Harris.

20. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Nothing to see here folks...move along...