The Brett Favre thread. All Favre News Goes Here

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dr. Christian Troy, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

He doesn't want to play in New York. He has allready made it clear that he doesn't want to play here. Why do any of you guys even want him? If he was all about coming here and excited about wanting to win then it would be great. However, we won't make the trade if he doesn't want to play here. Doesn't make sense

2. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

dude...Favre hasn't talked to a single member of the Jets' FO/CS.....they don't know if he wants to play here or not...it's all speculation at this point.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I hear what you're saying, but hear me out. He never specifically said he didn't want to play for the jets. At least if he did, there's no direct quote from him. What he did say is that he wants a trade but not just to the teams the packers want to trade him to.

It may be just a matter of semantics, but to me it sounds like he just has a preference to play somewhere else. That doesn't exactly thrill me, but I'd be willing to bet that at least half the guys on the current roster would have preferred to play for someone else when they got drafted.

That didn't stop them from going to work and playing their hearts out though. Why? Because their first priority is to play the game they love, or maybe sometimes to get rich. I believe Favre's first priority is to play the game he loves, so he'll go play his heart out for whoever it is that gives him the opportunity to come back and play.

Not only will he play his heart out, but he'll be playing with a chip on his shoulder after green bay gave him the cold shoulder. Brett Favre playing with a chip on his shoulder could be a dangerous man.

4. Tommy22

Tommy22 New Member

If the Jets weren't interested in Favre, they could end the rumors in 5 seconds by saying "We're not pursuing Brett Favre." They have not done that.

He's not getting released, he's not going to the Vikings. There aren't many options, and I think he'll end up with the Jets.

5. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

I hope you are right man. When it is all said and done i would love to see him in a jet uniform

6. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

this is the key to why we must keep hope that we will have a real quarterback this season. im not saying its definitely gonna happen but they are definitely trying to make it happen. lets hope it goes through so we can have a better shot at the big one this year.

7. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Mangini put FOUR sugars in his coffee this morning....coincidence? I think not!

8. Dr. Christian Troy

Dr. Christian Troy New Member

I'll tell ya what doesn't make sense...the biggest bust in NFL history avatar when there are a great many number of Jets busts you could've chosen.
    And why do we want him?! Chad Pennington is winning the competition, and my guess is it's Chad's job to lose. The guy plays a great training camp and preseason, always has and always will. I'd take what I know I CAN get every time over what I don't know I WILL get. Chad is better than Kellen, despite a weaker arm. Probably due to experience, but don't hate the player...hate the game. It is what it is.
    Now, the difference between Brett Favre not wanting to be here, but playing here...and Chad wanting to be here, and playing here....I'll take my chances with an unhappy Favre.

9. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

You're nuts if you think an unhappy Favre is going to play here. Assuming a deal could ever be worked out, and assuming the Jets even want him, there's no way he doesn't retire if he's traded to a team for which he doesn't want to play.

In fact, if I'm the Packers that's what I do. I trade him to the worst team I can find for whatever I can get and then watch him retire. It'd be a gamble but well worth watching it play out. If I were Thompson I'd be calling the Falcons right now. :wink:

10. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Jets' QB struggles make Favre a more likely target

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/NY+Jets/WWHI/2008/wwhi073008.htm

11. Dr. Christian Troy

Dr. Christian Troy New Member

It's news like this that gives me hope for this season after all.
    Land Favre and we become overnight contenders. Everything else is in place, from the rebuilt oline to the multitude of blockers (FBs, TEs), to the happy and healthy receivers to the fact that Leon Washington is making a case to be a starter which should push Tom Jones even further. Everything is mapped out for a great offense EXCEPT the most important piece of the puzzle. The QB.

12. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Here's the thing though. If they're really that uninspired, they need to deal now. We're a week into camp already. It's going to take time for Favre to get up to speed. If they plan on him having any impact this year (which would be the only reason to make the trade), he has to be the starter for week 1. Unless he's had time to absorb some of the playbook and practice with these guys, he's going to be useless.

13. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

What are you talking about? Anyone who thinks that hasn't watched football in 20 years. The WC offense is all about dink and dunk with the occasional shot down field.

With that said, we don't use a WC offense anymore.

14. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

I know Favre only has 1 or 2 more seasons left, but does Penny have much longer than that with the Jets? Anyone really see him as the starter in 3 years? That seems even less likely than Favre coming coming here.

15. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Yeah, but Favre with 10-20 passing plays + running plays under his belt still gives us a better chance to win. He could learn that in a week.

16. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

"Source: Favre not talking trade
    According to a source with knowledge of the trade talks, Brett Favre has refused to speak to any of the teams the Packers have identified as possible trade partners, making it unlikely one of those teams would risk giving away a draft pick or a player for someone who might retire again if he doesn't like the trade. If the Packers can't find a trading partner willing to meet their demands and Favre follows through on his decision to return to the NFL, the future Hall of Fame quarterback could be in a green and gold uniform Friday playing backup to Aaron Rodgers. That's something neither side wants, but it would be the next stage in the game of dare that Favre and the Packers are playing. (Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel)"

Don't get your hopes up guys, it appears he doesn't want to play here...

17. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

That is actually a good strategy on the part of the Packers if they can pull it off.

18. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Favre has played in the NFL for 17 years, it wouldn't take him that long to be able to run the offense. He's going to make the decisions he always makes anyway, regardless of the offense, it's still just football, not NASA.

The biggest concern is what we would have to give up for him and who we'd have to cut to fit him under the cap just to find out he doesn't want to play here and wants to retire again. He's about himself first, before anyone else, including the team he was on for all those years, that's my biggest issue with him.

19. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

I imagine any trade would include a clause that says they don't lose the draft pick(s) if he doesn't report. That said, it would be a nightmare to make the trade then have Favre not report and have to deal with that whole circus. Not to mention the irrepairable harm it would do to team chemistry.

20. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Yes, I would imagine a clause would be included with the trade that if he doesn't play we don't lose a draft pick. But if we make the trade I would imagine we would be obligated to release Pennington immediately. If Favre decides not to show we would lose our potential starting QB...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.