Chad WILL Be The Starter. Again.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Green Lantern, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Then again Favre could be the starter and Clemens could be gone and the Jets draft a real QB next year. That would probably end up being more cap friendly. If they were to get Favre he would last 2 or 3 years. Long enough to get a replacement.

Although I heard last night that GB is asking for a 1st for him and there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that anybody would give that up. Of course it doesn't hurt to ask.

#201 Don, Jul 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  2. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

How? To fit Favre's contract we'd have to get rid of Chad's, so Clemens would have to be here. As amazing as Favre's streak of playing is, you still need a backup who can play, the guy is 38.

3. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Now, I think that arguing about the quarterback and the offensive line harkens back to that old saw about the chicken and the egg. In this case the chicken is the offensive line and the egg is that quarterback. If the chicken don't do his thing FIRST, the egg is SOL. The egg, without out the offensive line DOING ITS THING FIRST SUCCESSFULLY, will get stomped out every time -- this is because that quarterback can't run forever and outrun everybody either.

So the egg in this case is 100% dependent on the CHICKEN.

Of course there is no question that the quarterback and the offensive line are on the same team. I just think when the fans of a team expend 450,000 cubic yards of hot air and 11,754 lines of purple prose on the quarterback everyday without a whit of interest or concern about whether the offensive line is going to let these quarterbacks have more than 1.5 seconds to function or not, then there is a little imbalance in the situation.

#203 notjustQBs, Jul 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  4. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Quote: "...When you stop picking Chad on your fantasy football team you might get it...."

Your imagination is something fierce.

No. 1 -- I don't bother with fantasy football or All Madden video games or even electric football tables.

No. 2 -- I actually like both Chad and Kellen, and have a lot of hopes for Ange and Ratliff too. I have a lot of time for liking the quarterbacks (all of them) on the NYJs because I think seriously that 90% of the problem on the NYJs is the offensive line and the defense.

Our skill players, given half a chance most of the time will do their job well, in my opinion.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Favre won't get the 12 million he is due from GB anywhere. I'm not sure how many years Pennington has left but all of that bonus would accelerate to this year. I would think what we owe Clemens is much less and that would make it an easier fit. (Of course, like I said I don't have the details..just making assumptions)

6. Italian Seafood

Clemens makes less than one million, I'm pretty sure. Aside from Chad, they would probably have to cut someone else who makes a lot of money, in addition to whatever they have to trade for Favre.

7. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

My feeling, also. If it ain't Farve, it's PENNINGTON.
    If i'm right, we need to look at a better opttion then Clemens, next season.

8. UKJetFan

UKJetFan New Member

If Pennington gets in, I'm taking my first season off from being a Jets fan for 22 years. Thank god Mixed Martial Arts is a year round thing now.

9. Italian Seafood

Yeah, because guys rolling around with their heads in each other's crotches is such an entertaining watch.

10. UKJetFan

UKJetFan New Member

I prefer the Knock-outs and the chokes/submissions, what you're refering to is Lay N' Pray, which really stops a lot of people watching the sport(including me for a long time). Not sure what's worse a QB's hands feeling up the backside of a Center or a collegiate wrestler simulating gay sex as he can't strike or submit to save his life.

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

if cp is really 'shot' and kc is the 'future', then why cant mangini see it and just stay with kc?

obviously mangini sees things most posters here DONT see (or cant see due to distance).

a qb competition is a huge distraction and sets both qbs back (essentially missing half of tc). mangini would never do this on a whim. mangini honestly does not know which qb will perform the best with the retooled ol, and its too important to just 'guess'.

also, mangini does not care much about 'the future face of the jets'. mangini cares about winning games RIGHT NOW, THIS season. if mangini feels chad will win just one more game the kc THIS season, guess who is named the starting qb?

opinion: cp

12. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

If all Mangini cares about is winning games this season then he should tell Tanny to pick up the phone and call Green Bay. It think it is a bad idea but Farve gives you the best chance to win now. If Clemens is not the future then the best Qb to win games would be farve. 75% of the dink and dunk playbook would have to be scrapped. If Mangini thinks we have what it takes to win now then it makes no sense to start either Qb if Farve is available. If Chad starts he has succeded in speeding up the process of the end of the Mangini regime in Ny!

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

i would bet my next 10 pay checks that mangini HAS been asking for brett for exactly the reason you stated. the simple fact that tanny and gb have talked, which would never happen without mangini's thumbs up, is proof.

brett wants a total release so he can play with the viks. a conditional release means he plays in tampa or ny.

14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Chad has to start. You know what you get with Chad. They/We are still unsure about Clemens, and there's no way the F.O. gambles all of that fresh salary money spent on a shot in the dark.

This team was built to run. They need a QB who won't make mistakes in terms of turnovers. Chad will have to throw when called upon but don't expect 300 attempts.

15. FOURTHANDLONG

Chad will not be able to throw when called upon in Jan if we make the playoffs. Sb caliber teams can stop your stregnth. Ne, Indy, Sd and Jac will make Chad throw and they will not be blow off the line of scrimmage by our offensive line. We can not win in Jan with a Qb that can not throw when it counts.

16. Verngenious

Verngenious New Member

I said it before and I'll say it again, I want the QB that gives us the best chance to win on Sunday to start. I have been in Chads camp because he has been the best QB we've had since Namath, but if KC beats him out, he beats him out ! I like KC's arm strenth and scambling ability, so I'd be encouraged about the future if he beats Chad out, that means he's getting better and better!!

Conversely, if chad beats him out again - For the second time in an open training camp battle for the starting job - Then you Chad bashers need to shut the Fuck up about KC startitng over Penny!! You can say we need to get a QB and that Penny is not the answer, but stop telling me that KC should be starting over Penny!! One thing I know and like about Mangini and Mr. T, every position is open for competition every practice every day. That's what I like about this regime and how you keep your players motivated!

Chad did have an off year last year imo, but he is going to be the starting QB in Miami. Even with his weak arm ect... he is going to be the starter and have a big year behind this line, I guarantee it. He wasn't as far removed from the second shoulder injury last year and he had a bad ankle sprain so it also effected his already weak arm b/c he couldn't lant eor use his legs. He will have a bounce back year.

Here's a Question for you KC fans:
    What does it say about him if he losses to Weak armed Penny for the second time now in his 3rd year with a half of seasons worth of starting experience under his belt?

17. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Vinnie?

The first time their was a competition Clemens was a rookie. You really can't expect a rookie to beat out a seasoned veteran in his first TC. C'mon dude.

He's an injury waiting to happen. Say what you will about the o-line, but this guy is fragile as hell for an NFL QB.

Well, I'm not a Clemens "fan" per say, but I'm hoping he wins the competition. If he can't beat out Penny, I think he probably sucks sweaty donkey dick. You can't count the first competition because Clemens was a rookie.

If Penny wins the competition, our QB situation is disgusting. The only thing we can hope for is Ainge or Ratliff to develop quickly.

18. steviep

steviep Active Member

they used to say about vinny that he could always win a qb competition because he had the strongest arm and was the most accurate. His weaknesses -- mobility for one, were not highlighted in training camp. (And pre season games are not worth that much)

19. FOURTHANDLONG

20. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

It wasn't about accuracy. It was about his arm strength and size/toughness/conditioning.