The Brett Favre thread. All Favre News Goes Here

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dr. Christian Troy, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

:rofl::rofl: Brady has been BY FAR the best QB of his generation. The guy makes all the throws whether they are short or deep and he did it long before he had Moss. Most importantly he WINS. People are acting like Favre is a winner and we'll have a better shot in January w/ him over Chad but last I looked Favre has been awful in january and the Packers season ended last year on one of the worst throws you will ever see. Favre has gone 2-5 in his last 7 postseason games including THREE home losses and that was in the weak NFC. Chad was 2-3 for us(1-0 in his only home playoff game) in the much more difficult AFC. The more we get past the biug name that Favre is the more sense it will make not to make this move and to compare favre to Brady is incredibly laughable.

2. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

But junc, it's about how far you can throw the ball, not if you can win.

3. nyjunc

:smile:

:rofl:

4. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

First of all I'm not saying Favre is better, but he is a MUCH better thrower of the football.

Brady could make all the throws 10 yards and in. He excelled last because of Moss. Moss has made every QB he has ever played for better. :rofl: all you want Brady has always been an above average passer.

You may want to go back and watch some Pats game before last year. The whole offense was 5-7 yards and in.

He was the QB of teams that won.

And no, Brady was not a downfield passer before Moss.

And finally Manning is the best QB of this generation

5. Murrell2878

This is a great example of what they do and what they have done.

I think Brady excells at making the right decisions and is great at pocket awareness. But as a thrower of the football he is above average. He doesn't throw the ball down the field all that great. He excells at the short quick passing game.

Stat worth yakking about
    http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/10/24/stat_worth_yakking_about/

Yards after catch have helped cause

By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff | October 24, 2007

FOXBOROUGH - Put the three letters together and they don't spell a word, but in football-speak, no explanation is needed. The YAC - a.k.a. yards after catch - can be a quarterback's best friend.

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady made the point after Sunday's win over the Dolphins, saying he couldn't take credit for all of his 354 passing yards because a good chunk came after the catch. Brady was plenty accurate in completing 21 of 25 throws, but how accurate were his thoughts about the YAC produced by the team's pass-catchers?

Quite accurate, in fact.

YAC is not an official NFL statistic, but a simple review of the game tape can suffice, and Sunday's game produced 160 yards after the initial catch, an astronomical total.

Of receiver Wes Welker's 138 receiving yards, 71 came after the initial grab. Welker's shiftiness after the catch, of course, is nothing new to the Patriots.

"He was a thorn in our side when he was [in Miami]," linebacker Tedy Bruschi said.

Now the tables are turned, which is why Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas was calling the 5-foot-9-inch, 185-pound Welker - one of the NFL's smaller players - "a beast."

As Welker and the team's other pass-catchers often note, there are two key elements to high YAC totals - the ability to run and elude tacklers after the catch, and the quarterback delivering an accurate ball that gives the receiver a chance to get upfield. The Patriots were clicking in this regard Sunday, although the Redskins figure to be a tougher challenge this week, as Washington's secondary is arguably its strongest unit.

Sunday's YAC totals were bolstered by Donte' Stallworth gaining 40 yards after the reception - 25 on his 30-yard first-quarter touchdown, and another 15 on a fourth-quarter screen that helped the Patriots milk the clock.

Running back Heath Evans (26), receiver Randy Moss (13), running back Kevin Faulk (6), and tight end Kyle Brady (4) also chipped in to the impressive YAC effort.

6. Murrell2878

7. nyjunc

Favre is a better throwe, Brady is a better passer. Favre has a stronger arm, one of the strongest in history but Brady has a strong arm AND touch.

Brady won 3 SBs WITHOUT Moss, he has always thrown a great deep ball and been able to fire it into receivers in traffic over the middle. I don't get where this comes from? You are talking about him the way everyone talks about Pennington here? That was a criticism of Brady in his 1st year(as if instantly turning around a franchise in decline to win a SB wasn't enough) but he has attacked downfield alot more since 2001. Last year Favre had a career high in yards per attempt at 7.8, Brady hit 7.8 twice w/o Moss. Favre's career high in yards per completion was 12.7 in '97, Brady hi 12.8 in 2004.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

This really tells two things. The PSLs are going to be high and Clemens has absolutely no chance of ever being the long term starting QB for the Jets.

9. nyjunc

I love that quote, Welker was a thorn in their sides? In 4 career games against NE he had more than 2 recs in a game ONCE and it was a 9 rec 77 yard effort(an awful 8.6 YPC). He had a total of 14 recs for 157 yds and ZERO TDSs. yeah he was a real thorn:rofl:

10. Murrell2878

I had put together a stat last year. Brady yards per pass in the air (basically the distance the ball traveled in the air) was near Pennington at around 5 yards per pass. Last year it was probably much more because of Moss.

He never went downfield before Moss though.

It's an effective system and it works. But it's controlled and quick and relies on the receivers more than the QB.

11. Murrell2878

Nobody said Bruschi was a very smart person :rofl:

Maybe he meant returning kicks.

12. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

in that situation... would we get more value then we traded or what?

13. nyjunc

I don't see it when I watch the guy play and even if his yards per pass were low it doesn't change the fact that he's a much better QB than Brett Favre.

14. Murrell2878

Much is an exaggeration. I think I just have more respect for QBs who throw the ball down the field such as Manning. Even Montana went down the field more and better...but it's real semantics at this point. Brady is the starting QB of a team that has won three Super Bowls...even if it has as much to do with and maybe even more so with a fantasic and most clutch kicker in NFL history and a defense and special teams that changed games around.

15. songster67

songster67 New Member

I would buy a #4 jersey, but just don't see it happening. I don't think Favre would want to play here. Wisconsin has the Bucks and the Brewers, but that state is all about the Pack. He is/was King of Wisconsin. As much as a media circus and attention he'd get for coming and the accolades of every win and the put downs with every loss, NY is way bigger than Brett Favre will ever be, and his ego just can't handle it.

As much hype as Brady vs. Favre would get, I still wonder about the difference in field conditions and NE may be aging but they're still NE.

But I can dream...he'd have some good YAC receivers. He'd look good with his fake throw as his handoff to Leon Washington or TJ burn up the middle for 6 pts. He'd have Bubba again. And lastly, I'd love to have a quarterback who is nothing short of a warrior. Death in the family; illness; injury and he's out there every Sunday.

16. nyjunc

I just do not know what QB you have watched, I have seen Brady go down field for years. I think your hatred of Brady and Pats might be clouding your judgment on this one. Brady is MUCH better than favre and he is BY FAR the best QB of his generation.

That fantastic coach Brady has was a complete failure as a HC before Brady stepped on the field. The Pats were a sinking ship and Belichick's job was in jeopardy until Brady rescued him. Below is a good article I saw yesterday:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/07/25/chff.belichick/1.html

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

So you think Brady is "by far" better than Manning? I think it's your judgement that is clouded.

18. Murrell2878

I just don't know what QB you've been watching bud. Brady was not a downfield QB until last season. He simply wasn't. I watched a ton of Pats games. It was all short passes to Branch and Brown and the TE's and Kevin Faulk. I don't deny that he makes great decisions, but I also feel that has a lot to do with the fact that the whole offense was designed to be quick passing.

In terms of Belichick. I wouldn't say he was a complete failure. He did manage to take the Browns to the playoffs once. His problem was that Bledsoe was a shell of his former self and did not fit the short passing system Charlie Weiss wanted to install.

19. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Prior to 2007, Brady would go deep at times. Certainly not often enough to conjure up memories of Lamonica or Fouts or Namath or even Lynn Dickey, but Brady would indeed go deep on occasion and find success.
    He won a game at Miami with a deep throw early in his career.

20. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

He's not "BY FAR" the best quarterback of his generation unless you are excluding Peyton Manning from the discussion for some odd reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.