Cimini - Gholston contract done, waiting league approval

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mst3000, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Scottso

Scottso Member

Your obviously an idiot man, cause Testaverde played for the Buccaneers, Browns, and then the Ravens before the Jets. He wasn't with one team for his whole career having great success. And he wasn't a career Buccaneer like you said. Nobody associates Testaverde as a legend that played for one team. I knew I would get attacked for my opinion, but Testaverde, come on man that is weak.

2. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

3. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

THis is bs!!! It's Victor not Vernon!!!

Jets ink draft pick Victor Gholston to five-year, $40 million contract
    BY RICH CIMINI
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, July 24th 2008, 10:15 PM

Betz/AP

Victor Gholston inked one of the richest contracts in Jets history.
    Disgruntled tight end Chris Baker isn't disgruntled anymore, and rookie pass rusher Vernon Gholston has a new contract. Could it be? Yes, the Jets could make it through the summer without any contract-related headaches.

Gholston, the sixth pick of this year's draft, finalized a five-year contract Thursday, according to an NFL source. It's worth about $40 million, including at least $20 million in guarantees, making it one of the richest contracts in team history. The former Ohio State star didn't sign in time to participate in the first two practices of training camp, but he was expected to join the team last night and be on the field for today's 1:30 practice.

Baker, who issued a pay-me-or-trade-me demand last month at minicamp, toned down his blistering rhetoric, taking the good-soldier approach. Huh? He was placated by the Jets' apparent willingness to at least discuss his contract situation. Baker said he's confident of a peaceful resolution, although he wouldn't say what that might be.

"At least the two sides are talking," Baker said. "That's a good thing, as opposed to a month and a half ago, when there wasn't much of anything. ... With everybody working toward a solution, it makes me feel better."

Baker, who claimed last month that the Jets reneged on a promise to renegotiate, has two years remaining on a four-year, $6.6 million contract. He's due to earn $683,500 this season in base pay. The Jets, perhaps trying to avoid another Pete Kendall-like fiasco, may have told Baker they would consider a restructured deal if he keeps quiet and toes the company line.

Baker said his agent, Jonathan Feinsod, reached out to the Jets about a week ago. Feinsod declined to comment.

Baker, 29, said he had no issue with the team's decision to place him on the physically-unable-to-perform list. He has a sore back and expects to be practicing "pretty soon." He doesn't want to be traded.

"I want to be here," said Baker, who boycotted the offseason program.

Maybe the Jets learned a lesson from last summer, when their camp was filled with turmoil - Kendall's ugly divorce and a lengthy holdout by rookie Darrelle Revis. A year after fighting for a six-year deal with Revis, they settled for five with Gholston.

SHORT & SWEET: As promised, Eric Mangini kept both practices under two hours. A year ago, they averaged 2:23. "He won a few more people over today," said safety Kerry Rhodes....Former Jets WR Al Toon was elected to the Packers' board of directors.

4. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

5. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Gholston's deal...as per Adam Schefter:

JETS GET GHOLSTON
    Posted by Mike Florio on July 25, 2008, 8:51 a.m.
    The New York Jets have agreed to terms with linebacker Vernon Gholston, the No. 6 overall pick in the 2008 draft.

Per Adam Schefter, it’s a five-year, $50 million deal with $21 million guaranteed.

The development clears the way for Chiefs defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey to do his deal at No. 5, since the floor has now been established.

6. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/news/story?id=3504625

Overnight negotiations Friday culminated with the New York Jets reaching a five-year contract agreement with first-round draft pick Vernon Gholston that includes $21 million in guarantees.

The linebacker's deal could max out at $50 million if he reaches all of his performance clauses. If the No. 6 pick does not, the deal would still be worth $32.5 million.

Negotiations lasted until 4:30 a.m. Friday morning. Once a deal was agreed to, Gholston went to the Jets' offices to sign the contract in order to be on the practice field later today.

Five of the draft's first six picks are now under contract, and the number includes offensive tackle Ryan Clady's five-year, $14.75 million deal with the Denver Broncos that could max out at $17.3 million. The deal includes $11.415 million in guarantees.

Senior writer John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Pretty retarded given that he has NEVER set foot on an NFL field. The NFL needs to find some sort of balance (rookie cap?) as these kind of deals push established vets out of the picture. :shit:

8. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Almost as good as Newsday this morning, which showed us the picture of Brett Ratliffe, the Rookie QB from Utah.

9. Brien O'Ken

Brien O'Ken Member

I can't wait to see Gholston taking down Brady - that would be fun!

10. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

fixed your post

11. Brien O'Ken

Brien O'Ken Member

Thanks! I like your confidence!

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You made my point for me, dipshit.

13. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

In that red slogan in youir sig if you would substitute "take" for "get", and "it" for "they", you would really have something.

14. abyzmul

Are you doing a critique on the grammar of Ted Johnson?

15. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

No, just bustin chops on a Friday afternoon and trying to get you to laugh.

16. abyzmul

Show me a picture of Bill Belichick getting a wedgie from Brock Lesnar.

17. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

:rofl: good one!

18. Scottso

Scottso Member

Don't really understand how fuckface, but hey I'm happy to help!