If you could change one play in Jets history...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ukjetsfan, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

From going to the games I think most fans have that more rational perspective. It's mostly the loud vocal minority on here who has such hatred and tries to divide the fan base. In OT of the last game, the crowd was actually chanting "We Want Chad" after Clemens threw a bad incompletion past an open man.

Then we reeled off a few runs and kicked the winning FG. :breakdance:

2. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I have season tickets also and I'm not so sure. The fans have been pretty hard on Pennington in the stadium as well as on this board. I think its more that fans like whatever the flavor of the month is or dislike whoever is behind center as soon as adversity hits. As soon as any QB falters - or make that as soon as the offense falters, they yell at the QB. Very few pay any attention as to whether the QB was under pressure or the receivers were open. I think fans are split on Pennington.

3. Italian Seafood

I agree with all of that, I just think the anti-Chad element is a lot stronger on here than at the games. But you're right, it's the same pattern, just substitute the names. When it was Vinny I remember one guy behind us for a few games yelling "Put Pennington in", which annoyed me because it wasn't always Vinny's fault. Not long after I joined the board was when they signed Vinny back off of his couch after Chad and Fiedler went down. People were so down on Vinny here and I was really surprised, then at the Tampa Bay game when he came out he got a standing O from the crowd, including me.

4. Italian Seafood

Anyone remember this game very well? I don't except for that one play, I've kind of blocked it out. That was the second best record we ever had in the 16-game format and it's forgotten because they had that one bad day. I really can't remember anything about it.

5. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I remember this game very well. The 1985 Jets were a very good team - one of the best in Jet history. Rembert did return a fumble in that game for a touchdown. The score was 16-7 at the time and that TD made it 23-7 in the third quarter.

The Jets had 4 turnovers in that game and NE, which was playing very conservatively under Berry had none. Didn't Tippet knock O'Brien out of this game???

6. Italian Seafood

He might have. Now that you mention it, I remember Pat Ryan being in the game and wearing gloves on each hand. McMahon did it after that all the way through the Super Bowl and said he had seen Ryan doing it first. Said it helped him grip the ball in the cold. Remember, he threw funky passes but it didn't matter because they had that defense, Walter Payton and the Fridge.

7. PinpointPennington

PinpointPennington New Member

8. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

i thin that team was better with Lucas at QB than we would have been with Vinny. Had Lucas been named starter even a game or 2 earlier i think we would have torn through the playoffs. I think we were 1 win short of the playoffs. 9-7 would have done it. The loss to the Giants stands out that year.

9. Hammr25

Hammr25 Member

Drafting Blair Thomas instead of Emmitt Smith

10. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

Do you know what this thread is about? It's not about who the QB should be this year.

So your suggesting we should have played Quincy Carter instead? I'm sure we would have won.

11. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

As for the thread, if you believe that one play would have changed the 98 AFC Championship game it's whatever that play is. If not, it's Vinny going down the next year. Change either play, and we probably have another superbowl.

I'd personally also list Doug Brien, that was maybe the most painful loss I've had in sports. I really loved that years team. Team fought through a lot of adversity that year. It was full of tough, good character players, it really hurt to see that year end. Can't really make it #1 though because we didn't have that much of a shot at beating New England next week, though obviously I would have liked a shot at them.

12. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I remember the game, I think it was Garin Veras who made the hit? I remember him involved somehow on that fumble that basically ended the game. It was a very disappointing day as usual. That was the first playoff game in the meadowlands(the giants would play at home the next day) and we were good enough to make a SB run that year but couldn't win a home playoff game.

There's no way we win anything in January w/ Lucas as our QB. He was good and Parcells & Co. limited him to minimize mistakes but it's hard to win like that against better competition in January. If Vinny was completely healthy I think we would have made the playoffs but maybe not a SB run b/c we had alot of other injuries as well that people forget about b/c of the Vinny injury. Chrebet missed 5 games, Eric Green only started 7 games, Fred Baxter missed half the season, Fabini missed half the year, leon Johnson was hurt in that same Pats game, Jason Ferguson missed 7 games, Cox & Atwater missed a qtr of the season, Otis Smith only played a game. We had ALOT of injuries that even w/ a healthy Vinny it would have been dificult to get to a SB BUT pre-injuries coming into the season I think we were the team to beat and had Vinny stayed healthy and the rest of the team mostly healthy we would have had an excellent chance to win it all.

13. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I remember there was a controversy as to whether or not Hector was down before fumbling the kick-off. There was no instant replay yet. In fact, I think instant replay started the very next season. Figures. This is perhaps the most dissapointing loss in Jets history (outside of the blown lead in Denver) if you factor in the 11-5 record, the Jets being heavy favorites and at home, and also again the very real possibility, in hindsight, that had the Jets won this game, they very well may have gone on to the Super Bowl. How they would have fared against the Bears is another story. That wild card game was a very flat and inept performance all the way around....

#193 mrjet80, Jul 6, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  14. C. Sharpe

C. Sharpe New Member

I would change the play in the '86 Wildcard game when Gastineau hit Kosar late giving them 15-yards and the later on the victory over or Jets!

J-E-T-S!