The Anti Quarterback Jets Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KurtTheJetsFan, Jul 1, 2008.

1. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

Callahan's presence gives me some hope. If anybody can develop one or two of those youngsters, he's the guy.

Another person neither of us mentioned is Matt McChesney. He was sent to Europe to develop after switching from DL to OL and wound up being All-League. Granted it was not much of a league, but at least he excelled against the competition at a new position. He could be a wild card in the mix of young O-lineman.

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I myself wonder about the doubts people have on the transition. One angle would be to think, "Well all he has to do is stay home, and hold up 2 people and let the other front 6 wreak havoc." But it is more than that.

I think by week 9 Jenkins little mistakes as the NT go away. I have a feeling he'll want to move upfield like D-Rob was used. But then again, having that versatility of Jenkins is cool. He was a 360 lbs 4-3 NT who blitzed... wow. Can't find many of them. I think the pundits will be wrong on him.

I did a 'lil research and found that Lowery ran a 4.31 at one point. I'm guessing with no hamstring problems and time to practice the 40 yrd dash, he ran a great time. His low was the 4.31 and his highest recorded time was a 4.52, so let's take the average of 4.41. That's CB speed, so I think by the end of TC we will see who the real Lowery is. If he does have the speed, with the ball-hawking skills and the way he soaks in the game mentally, I think the 2nd day was kind to The Jets again.

That I didn't know. The kid may have the most Pancakes, which means he can put someone on his back, but since he dropped to round 7- I wonder how well he is going to do in the NFL. He has to have big flaws in his game. Although having Callahan work with him should help.

3. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Didn't he only start 1 year at Arkansas? He was used primarily as a run blocker and had this profile on nfldraftscout.com:

Has the strength and punch to drive block his man out of the play. Lacks great feet, however, and does not handle speed well. Gets too high in his pass pro set and tends to reach instead of moving his feet.

Sounds like a project but in a couple years working with Callahan he has the potential to be a solid RT.

4. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Dear KurtTheJetsFan,

First, I would like to apologize for murdering Nate Garner's name, I thought it was Cartner, and I think you thought it was Gardner. Anyway, the NYJ's roster shows the young man has shaved off his biangs and now sports a goatee in his NYJ jersey. Still has those glasses though.

I agree with you that there are a number of projects on this roster. Mangini has to have given Callahan a mandate on this line's revolution. With Bender and Garner and the like, you'd think that Callahan will emphasize a lot of drive blocking, or maybe zone blocking -- sort of "grade the road, now, boys!" That does require attitude, brute strength, and not a great deal of intelligent finesse that "slow feet" may denote a lack of.

What do you think of "trapping with the first unit", and just as the defense starts getting cagy with their heads on a swivel, here comes the second unit roaring up to punch them in the face and run stomping on their sternums...?

Variety?

5. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Quote: "...My only contrary point is that, for the first time since Yovanovits, Jones and Cavka...we have some quality youth and depth to develop. Granted none of those guys really worked out other than Jones...but at least there is SOMETHING other than scrap part undrafted free agents for Callahan to work w/ long term..."

Dear KurtTheJetsFan,

It was said by some when Tony Wise went back to the college coaching ranks, that apparently Mr. Wise did not suffer rookies gladly, and that personally he was a lot more comfortable working with accomplished OL veterans. That being said, he was probably not the happiest of coaching campers during 07 when the "accomplished" dropped right out of the OL veteran line he was tudoring.

In his early days before HC life, Callahan was a helluva teacher who seems to get more out of OL candidates than most -- not just in college but in the Pros as well.

Now that he has foresaken his champagne days for a diet of early Bud mornings, perhaps Callahan returns to his roots and like Brian DaBoll will deliver daily written critiques on footwork, techniques, grades on each blocking assignment to his guys.

Oops, maybe he has already been doing that...? Terrific.

Hopefully, it will take with this class, eh?

6. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Why do you think we are bringing in so many running backs? Does anyone think that Thomas Jones injury last year in TC is a big concern? I know the line sucked last year but Jones looked awful in both short yardage and any open field situations. No push and no speed. It wouldn't surprise me if Jones is not the answer to take the bulk of the work and the team is very concerned about it?

7. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Winstonbiggs, we will have to see how they are used in training camp. If four different RBs are all asked to run the same plays that's one thing. But if two RBs are asked to run traps, and three RBs are asked to run off-tackle / around end, and Leon and Jesse are the only ones who get tapped to go out for screens does that mean something different?

The other issue is when the OL is going full speed which RBs have the best timing with the OL in getting through the holes they open up?

And maybe also, this RB load-up can't all just be about keeping fresh legs in there so the same DL have to get in better shape to consistently stop them...can it?

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

TJ will be fine. He had the injury but it didn't affect his play in the season.

Most are for TC fodder. Other will make the practice squad and maybe a rookie can unseat Chatman, since he's here on a one year deal. That kid could be a diamond in the rough and in 2 years when TJ is gone, its that kid and LW in the backfield.

Maybe Woodhead is that kid. We could have the mini-me backfield with him and LW.

9. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

I'm hoping the reason is that Mangini is trying to give TJ and Leon as much "rest" in training camp as possible so they're fresh to start the year. Also, if we're planning to pound the rock more in 2008, is he going to carry an extra running back and sacrifice a WR or TE? I don't know. I tend to think the more you have at one position, the less you have in reality. But we'll see.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Eric Barton

Barton to me is the anomaly.

I find him forgotten in all of the talk about everyone else. He is by no means a staple of the defense, but is a good role player bettered by those around him, instead of him making the team better.

Is Barton replaceable? Yes, but I am not calling for that. I've come to like him as the Jets ILB. He physically has the tools. I think that this year he has a chance to make more of an impact with the new acquisitions. 4 of the front 7 players have arrived in the last 2 offseasons. Only Barton, Ellis, and Thomas are not learning the system for the first or second time. Keep that in mind as we will definitely see the growing pains against teams like the Chargers, Pats and even the Cardinals offense in the early part of the season.

Barton might be blitzing more than before, since Jenkins can occupy more than enough space. Barton usually has the responsibility of the RB, but if the pressure is successful, the RB will have to stay in, giving Baron the opportunity to go 1 on 1 with him to get to the QB or he can stay in a spy/roamer position and make a play in the short-ranged middle of the field.

11. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Dear NDmick,

For some reason, I have been identifying Barton with Poteet -- kind of a wily veteran that has learned to rely on his intelligence and build on his informed anticipation now that his physical skills are on the wane.

12. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Total BS. JUst because you say it enough times, means it anymore right. First off Jets are going to try and run the ball alot next year. You don't bring IN Olineman who strength is run blocking, and who are suspect Pass blockers.(A Faneca and D woody)
    Your a TE in the NFL, and can't block, your not going to be on the field that much. Now you throw in fact that Jets want to run the football alot, and there is no way Keller is starting for the Jets at TE. Only way Keller is a starter if Jets play Three Wr sets as their base offense.(hes the third WR) Thats happens forget Keller being a weapon in the passing game. His speed might have gave alot of Lbs trouble, but not against NFL Cb's. IF Keller was such a great WR, they wouldn't have moved him to TE.

#32 Raiderjoe, Jul 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  13. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm sure the Jets traded back into the first round to draft a guy they didn't plan on seeing the field that much.
    :rolleyes:

14. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

First off again your a TE, and can't block your not seeing the field much. SO IF Keller plays it will be more as a WR(third)

Yea Jets didn't trade two picks to move up, a couple years ago , to get D robertson. HOw did that one work out? LEts face it Jets were desperate for a playmaker on offense. What was left in the draft. They rolled the Dice on Keller. ( wasn't that many options) Just because they moved up in the first, means Keller going to do anything next year. I would like to hear the numbers you expect keller to put up next year. I need a laugh today.

#34 Raiderjoe, Jul 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  15. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Last time I looked the O has 11 men. If we run a single back set we can run a 2 TE set with 2 WR and with a big time pass catcher at TE we can either run or pass out of that set. We can also split him out as a third WR or use the FB to lead block in a traditional set with a weaker blocking TE.

Not being a big time blocker doesn't mean he won't be on the field a lot. You simply don't know.

16. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I don't know why I bother with you Joe.

First of all, what the fuck does Robertson have to do with anything? He started a hell of a lot of games for us, and while he never turned out to be the superstar we had hoped, he was a very productive player for us.

Now as for Keller, your statement didn't say anything about this year. Rookie receivers don't usually put up big numbers, and I'm not expecting a lot out of him this season. I do expect him to be on the field quite a bit throughout the years as a TE who isn't a great blocker though.

Yes, he will be lined up as a #3 receiver too, maybe even in the backfield. But because he is such an athlete and versatile, he will be on the field quite a bit.

17. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

First off there was more highly gifted TES, drafted alot higher than Keller ,that did nothing there first year. To say Keller(rookie) a big time pass catching TE, is stretching it alot. There are alot of Keller types in the NFL. ( so this isn't some unique problem for NFl defenses)

Second you can come up with all the scenarios you want, but the fact is you look at the moves Jets made in the offseason pretty much say what they are going to do on offense. BIll Callahan is a BIG believer in the the traditional FB- why they probably made a play for T richardson. Jets Have three players on the oline that are suspect pass blockers- D Brickshaw Fedrguson, Alan faneca, and D Woody. Jets offense is going to revolve around the running game big time. You play TE and your can't block , your not seeing the field at that position, especially when your offense sucessa will be heavily depended on its ability to run the football.
    Again Keller plays it will be mostly as the third WR.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

The caveman quote below is for everything Jeaux says about the Jets.

19. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

First off my post are like Crack- very addictive. OR you have to be on crack to fully understand them.
    Second the point is just because your FO or any team trades up, means that player going to justify that move. Again JMO Jets were desperate for a playmaker on offense. I think they thought that he had the best chance of comming in, and contributing the most next year. (Save mangini job) Reality that probably not happening. Jets can talk all they want about moving him around. YEa that did wonders for Brad Smith career.

With what Jets want to do on offense(run the football) I say lets see how many times he sees the field. Not that much.

20. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Another good thread ruined by a Troll:sad: