The Anti Quarterback Jets Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KurtTheJetsFan, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Discuss all Jets topics OTHER than the QB situation.

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Training camp starts this month (thank god). There's not much to talk about right now that hasn't been discussed at length already. What do you want to discuss KTJF?

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Good idea. Here are some thoughts to keep us grounded before hopes get too high.

Free Agents don't walk on to a team and know the system inside and out and flourish. They have to learn a new dialect of the language of football. Faneca doesn't have much to learn due to his knowledge, skill and time in the league. Jenkins isn't far behind in terms of that, but his responsibilities are have much more impact since the NT is the focal point of a 3-4 defense.

Pace will not be a 9-12 sack OLB. He is the "Complete Linebacker" - which means that he will be in coverage, locking onto linemen to give an inside look on a blitz, and be a factor in run support. Do not look to him as the J. Abe answer.

Franks and Richardson are role players. With the Baker situation being a sideshow no one wants to watch but has to acknowledge, Franks will see more time on the field, being placed in 2 TE sets or being apart of the running game. Do not look for anything impressive from him. Keller is going to be the main man.

Richardson is old, but he can get it done. Callahan's scheme's must ask for a FB. Why not someone who paved AD's way in MIN? He will be a quiet contributor. Those who know how and when to look for him should see what differences he'll make. Does anyone know his pass blocking ability? I'm not familiar with how well he does.

Jesse Chatman- 3rd string RB. Remember that, 3rd string.

The drafted

Gholston- Yes, a 6th overall pick but raw football skills. He picked up this game in the latter stages of HS and is more of a brute strength player than the player that will outsmart you. That will hinder his rookie season or sophmore season depending on how OLs respond to him. The Leo LB spot at Ohio State help his 3-4 progress. Rookies take 3 years to develop. For the love of all things sacred - practice patience when it comes to football and its players coming into their own.

Keller - 25+ receptions and he's had a good rookie year. If he doubles that in his sophmore season, the 1st round pick is almost complete to being a success. All he'll have to do is maintain that.

Lowery - 4th round pick with versatility. Lowery could be another 4th round gem the Jets are recently known for. BUT it took each of those 4th round picks 3 years to become a staple of the team. Wait them out.

Anything Past the 5th round that becomes a talent player is a blessing.

Ainge- No reserves on him until his third TC. That is when I feel the CS will have a slight idea of where he's headed in terms of talent. If he's the Jets backup for 7 years and if he has to play for 3 games the fans are confident in him- Good pick.

Henry and Gardner- if they see the field, it's known as a late round gem. Be happy if they are backups. These players have a high percentage of being cut. So if they go bye-bye, accept it.

Those are my non-QB thoughts for today. I will develop a thought on Barton once its compiled out of my head.

#3 NDmick, Jul 1, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  4. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

What is this QB you speak of? The Jets haven't had one in years....

5. JetsLookingforDWare

I wanna try.

Faneca - The most logical and best signing we made IMO, even if I was hoping for more youth. Sick run blocker, extremely durable, extremely smart, never had issues staying in shape or anything...and he'll be playing in between our two most talented linemen. This is the biggest thing about the Faneca signing to me (and everyone else I think)...D'Brick and Mangold won't be trying to cover someone else's ass and should flourish. I expect a couple good years out of Faneca, but considering the nature of the NFL contract that doesn't even matter.

Jenkins - Big, smart, and still young enough to be a top player for a couple years. Health will be an issue with Jenkins. It seems that I'm in the minority as far as trust with this coaching staff...which I still find hilarious because the fans I talk to from other teams think very highly of our young coaching staff...but I think they'll be the difference between healthy, successful Jenkins and the Jenkins of the past couple years. They don't take shit from anyone, and I doubt Jenkins will be an exception. Plus, he seems committed to being a good player. Either way, this really helps our DL depth and talent level, and considering the 3-4 draft talent coming out in the next couple drafts I have alot of hope for this move over the short term ('08 and maybe '09).

Pace - Oh man will this one be controversial. As many have said, I doubt Pace becomes as a sack monster here. Fans seems to ignore the fact that the offense and defense are *units* and not a group of individuals winging it. The Pace signing is huge because he instantly became our best coverage linebacker, he can stop the run, he's good in pursuit, and it's not like a 6-8 sack guy is a guy slacking with his pass rushing skills. He'll do his job...which'll allow people to do their job...and thats really what matters in the end.

Thats the key with the big 3 moves IMO...these are guys who'll allow our young guys to do their job and gain some confidence in their ability to do their job AND they'll be willing to help teach the young guys if they can.

I'll do the rest later...or at least write a better post later.

6. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Quote: "...Jenkins isn't far behind in terms of that, but his responsibilities are have much more impact since the NT is the focal point of a 3-4 defense..."

NDmick, I think Jenkins will do exceptionally well as the NT in the NYJ 3-4 hybrid. However, why do you think commentators at ESPN and SNY have insinuated that he's NEVER played this way before and why should we think he can? Do you think there's a discipline problem between an attacking 4-3 tackle and a hold and stop 3-4 NT? Why is there such a big difference in these guys' minds?

7. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Quote: "Lowery - 4th round pick with versatility. Lowery could be another 4th round gem the Jets are recently known for. BUT it took each of those 4th round picks 3 years to become a staple of the team. Wait them out..."

I was impressed with his ball-hawking at every level of college, but there was also a bunch of posts about his speed on this message board at the time of the draft -- what do you make of his running at both the Combine and his Pro Day with a "bad hammy"? Is it really possible he's faster than he timed? Did you see Lowery's speed in the films that were showed?

8. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Quote: "Henry and Gardner- if they see the field, it's known as a late round gem. Be happy if they are backups..."

Have you ever heard of offensive knockdowns by OL before Arkansas started counting them? It was "offensive knockdowns" or "pancakes" that Gartner has a high number of if not the 'record'...

9. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

It is my sincere hope that we can say of Callahan's body of work next February, "and he rested on the seventh day."

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

cant wait to see 'joe the leg smith' punt the football. man, im tingling all over just thinking about it

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

gholston is gonna be huge the best thing for rookie pass rushers is just playing in obvious pass downs.this way theres no thinking involved just go get'em boy.i can't wait to see him holding bradys head while the body lays flopping on the field

12. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

i'm curious about how the CS is gonna handle the Tight end position. They traded up for keller but i've heard rumblings that he isn't an everydown tight end because he can't block. So is he gonna line up at 3rd receiver a lot? And what about baker and franks. Baker is asking for a new contract and he was the starter last year. He can catch the ball. And franks, is he just gonna be the third tight end? He is a pretty well known tight end but how much does he have left?

13. If he's as good of a reciever as advertised he will be a starter regardless of his blocking abilities.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

Franks is less than 2 years older than Baker and much better.

I'm really excited about Keller working his way into the offense. Hopefully he can get a decent amount of playing time because he has the ability to put a lot of pressure on defenses. He also brings a lot of intensity and attitude to the table - something we haven't seen much of lately IMO.

15. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

the thing that keeps me up at night--beyond the lack of any good pills--is our OL depth. Someone please tell me what our "plan B" is if any of the starters is lost for the season. Please?

Brick: is there anyone even remotely capable of playing LT?
    Faneca: without him it's last season all over again...NOOOOOOOOO!
    Mangold: I guess Woody could move in, but then who's our LT? Bender? ("Bender? I hardly know her" or "You brought her, you bend her")
    Moore: Perhaps the easiest to replace, but I can't even name a possible replacement.
    Woody: Bender? Hunter? Garner? ("you brought her, you..." SEE Mangold, Above)

I go to the Dr tomorrow, I'm hoping for a prescription of something strong!

16. As much of a physical freak as Gholston is....Keller is almost equally as intriguing. You don't find too many 6'3 245 pounders who can run 4.55 w/ the precise routes that Keller has displayed.

To be honest..I'm actually shocked he didn't go alot sooner in the draft than he did. Granted his value was somewhere between picks 25-30...but w/ his physical skills( was the star of the combine), his well documented good character, and his upside(has only been playing TE for 2 years) it's no wonder an off center GM like Shannahan, Davis, Holmgren or Newsome didn't make a move for him alot earlier.

17. OL depth continues to be a concern for this franchise. However, w/ that said..at least now we have some legit prospects w/ actual upside. Both Bender and Gardner have some serious skills to work w/, and Hunter I believe was a day 1 pick acouple years back.Still not great...but this franchise's roster is far from a finished product...we are acouple years awa from having quality depth and talent throughout the entire roster.

Brick: Believe it or not Faneca has played LT in emergency situations w/ some success. Additionally, everyone's hoping Bender takes the next step as a prospect. LT is actually his natural position...Hunter is also an athletic guy

Faneca: This would be a big hit but Woody is capable of moving to LG and we have acouple guys in Turner and Montgomery who had some starting experience last season.

Mangold: Woody has played center at a pro bowl level. I believe Clint Oldenburg is being developed behind Mangold as a long term back-up.

Moore: Again, Woody could move inside and we have Montgomery and Turner who will battle it out in camp for a roster spot.

Woody: We've got 2 young OT prospects who maybe capable of playing this spot in Gardner and Bender. Don't sleep on Hunter either.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

Not many LB's are going to be able to stay with him. So they either have to bring in the nickel package to have a corner on him which would open up the running game or put a safety on him which would put Coles or Cotch in single coverage with no help over the top. That's a great way of putting pressure on the defense and opening up the field. I'm pretty sure Shotty has a good idea how to use an athletic TE too ...

19. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

I hope you're right Kurt. I know you watch our OL about as closely as anyone on these boards.

But I'm still asking the Dr for some good pills tomorrow!

20. Oh, believe me.. I share your concerns. I feel alright if someone on our right side goes down...but the left side could be disasterous. My only contrary point is that, for the first time since Yovanovits, Jones and Cavka...we have some quality youth and depth to develop. Granted none of those guys really worked out other than Jones...but at least there is SOMETHING other than scrap part undrafted free agents for Callahan to work w/ long term.