If you could change one play in Jets history...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ukjetsfan, Jun 27, 2008.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

You cannot forget that Chad was playing w/a torn rotator cuff. He didn't have a great game but the bottom line is the K had not one but TWO chances to win that game and he blew it.

2. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Plus it wasn't the kind of game or day for the QB to be throwing the ball all around. We were right in the game and Chad put us in position to win it, even playing hurt. Pittsburgh was at home and 15-1 and their offense didn't get much done either.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Chad Fans are by definition people who root for him more than the team. You can tell this form the symptoms, which include blaming everybody else for shortcomings rather than him.

I don't care that the excuse is he had a torn rotator cuff. That's a reason to get rid of him, not to continue giving him a pass. His physical injuries have added additional limitations to those that have all along lowered his effectiveness. It only gets worse as time goes by.

Jet fans acknowledge that the Qb only led the team to three points in that game. Chad Fans make excuses for it that don't really excuse his lousy production.

Ftr I have been a Jet fan for a long time, a lot longer than before anybody here ever heard of Chadwick. And one day he will (finally) be gone and I expect to still be a Jet fan then, and am looking forward to celebrating that moment. In the meantime I regret that Chad has divided the fans of this team like no one else has previously come close to doing, and I hope no one in the future will, either. Also in the meantime I will not take you up on your suggestion. I can wait until he's gone or even just benched and never plays another down. I could say I would even root for him were he to play, but since I know no real good can come of that, I can't even pretend to do that.

4. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

This is a fantastic post! I could not agree more.

5. Italian Seafood

Sounds like you got issues, buddy. And there is no need to capitalize the F in fans. Whoever lines up at QB for the Jets, that's my guy. If it's Chad, so be it.

6. erlovepuck

erlovepuck New Member

I lost you at the end there. You say that Chad fans by definition root for Chad more than the team then you conclude like that. So basically the success of the team is secondary to your hatred of Chad? I know you will reply and say that is not the case because the team will never be better off with him as quarterback but that is an opinion, not a fact. I have always been a big Chad supporter but there is no way I would favor Chad's success over that of the team. I'm a Chad fan because he was the Jets quarterback not the other way around. We all want what is best for our team, we just disagree as to whether Chad at QB is what gives the team its best chance for success.

7. Italian Seafood

There you go, perfectly said. :up:

8. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

What facts have there been over the last two years to show that Chad will get better as opposed to regress going foward. His stats and performances are getting worse and his arm is as good as it is going to get and that is bad. These are facts. Fans who want Chad gone can point out facts all day to show why he should no longer be our starting Qb and we will never be able to disprove that the team will be better off without him because we can not predict the future and that will always be the argument to keep him from the Chad supporters. He is being graded on 2002 forever in their eyes. As usual there will be an excuse for him even if he plays bad this year as well. There is no good that can come from CP behind Center for the NYJ's anymore.

#108 FOURTHANDLONG, Jun 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

No. I am certain that no good can come of Chad playing for this team. I already said that. If I thought there was any real possibility that Chad could turn it around and get it done, that he could now suddenly and miraculously be able to lead the team to scoring touchdowns in the two minute drill when the team is behind late in the game, that he could suddenly rifle it with accuracy and speed, that he could suddenly throw the ball thirty yards without having to have perfect setup and time, I would not have such certainty. But since I don't think there is any such possibility, I can see no good coming out of his playing another down for this team.

Your tenses are off on saying Chad was the Jet Qb and this makes you his fan now. Chad is a washed up has been. Rooting for him is a nostalgia act by fans who refuse to acknowledge the obvious. It is that refusal that makes one a Chad Fan. A refusal that also prevents those holding that view to see what is best for the team as opposed to all things Chadwickian.

I don't think there are any fans of other teams who have any knowledge of the Jets who consider Chad to be an even average Qb. Only the Chad Fan segment of our fanbase thinks so. To have that view of the situation at this point, given all his physical problems, his obvious difficulties passing the ball, recognizing the downward trend of his physical performance, and to still think he can give the team any chance for success is, well, difficult to understand.

10. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I believe George Nock was the Jet who fumbled on the Chief 1 yard line in the 1969 AFL divisional playoff game, 13-6 loss to the Chiefs...

11. steviep

steviep Active Member

Weve gone through this before -- in naming all the bad plays/games/events in Jet History.

The fake spike is still the worst.
    Im still upset about Todd's interception to Bill Simpson.
    Im still upset at Herm for not "moving closer" before the Brien misses.
    The Eric Allen (?) runback Id like to have back.

12. Great post.

Part of the reason fo this, is the over emphasis in moern day football on the QB position. Teams have become judged solely on who is lining up behind center..and it's gotten to the point where nothing else matters. They've become rock stars.

Dedicated fans(like many jet fans) get attached to their QB, for the reasons listed above..and refuse to believe ANYTHING could be that player's fault. Hell there are still guys lingering around the jets fan arena who still believe Testaverde is god and are prayng for a come back.

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

If that was the case, then that means the Chiefs made two successful goal line stands.
    The Jets trailed 6-3 in the 4th quarter. They had a 1st-and-goal at the 1. Bill Mathis got stopped on 1st down. Matt Snell was pushed back on 2nd down.
    Namath threw an incomplete pass to Snell on 3rd down.
    Jim Turner then kicked a seven-yard FG to tie the score.

The Jets only fumbled one time in the game and I believe the Mike Battle muffed punt was recorded as that fumble.

I do not believe George Nock had any touches in that game. He may have played in the game, though.

#113 Cakes, Jun 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  14. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

One play that occured in a really insignifigant game that just pisses me off is Lamont Jordan throwing an interception into the endzone to Ed Reed who ran it back 80 some odd yards when we had a 14-0 lead with like a minute left till half time. for god's sake run the ball and kick a field goal or have atleast our quarterback throw the ball. anyway that was the turning point in the game and we ended up losing the game. just annoying

15. Italian Seafood

I was at that game, that did suck. That was one of the Quincy Carter games and we had a classic Herm clock meltdown at the end of the first half.

16. Italian Seafood

This was a huge play for the season, too. That was an early season game at the Bears which would have been a great win for the Jets. They were trying to rebuild under Coslet and he had them going early that year. That loss, and the way it happened, kind of turned them back the wrong way again. Coslet lost so many of those types of games, where they were prepared and should have won but never closed it out.

17. JumboJet

JumboJet New Member

Byars' fumble in Denver might not have happened in if he didn't run over Keven Greene on the goal line a week earlier at home. I really think he thought he was going to do the same thing to Robocop. This time it didn't work out quite so well.

18. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Huh?

Kevin Greene played for Carolina in 1998.

Former Jets tight end James Thornton had the nickname "Robo Cop."

I suppose you were talking about Bill Romanowski, but he went by "Romo".

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I don't know the exact play that turned the Broncos around after being down 10-0, but that play. :) Then somehow score on that play to make it 17-0. Good lord the Jets would have CRUSHED the Falcons. I am still sick over it.

20. kennyo07

kennyo07 New Member

So I guess your going to be disappointed when you see Chad under center game 1 of the season....