If you could change one play in Jets history...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ukjetsfan, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd go with the Vinny achilles injury. That was the best team in Jet's history going into the season and after Vinny went down they were crushed for half a season. Ray Lucas won 7 games with that team, Vinny would have won 14.

#61 Br4d, Jun 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  2. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I don't see what the problem is with that play. Drew Bledsoe's skills were diminishing. Tom Brady would have replaced him soon enough anyway.

The worst play in that season was clearly the Testaverde interception to Terrell Buckley in the second meeting with the Patriots in early December.
    If that INT did not occur, the Jets likely would have held on to win that game and if everything else played out as it did in December, the Jets would have won the division. The Jets would have hosted the Raiders on a snowy Saturday night in the playoffs.

3. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

or if we just beat buffalo @ home in week 17 (which turned out to be week 16 b/c of 9/11)

4. Ohio Pork

Ohio Pork New Member

How about the last 40 years? Can I change that?

5. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Was it Tony Woodbury who dove on the fumbled punt snap with half a minute left when he could of just scooped it up and run it in for another Miracle at the Meadowlands finish? Just think how many of these single mistakes could of changed history...

6. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

This is the most humane thing to change of course. a Man's life is far more important than any game. on the same plane it would be nice to save both Toon and Chrebet from a few concussions to preserve there own health.

If I couldn't revert an injury but only a play, it would have to be adding stick0em to Bryars hands to prevent than fumble in the 98 championship game. most insane turning point in Jets history...

7. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Agreed. That play breathed as much life into the Browns as Don Denkinger giving the Royals the 1985 world series.

8. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

1998 AFC Championship Game ... The always reliable Curtis Martin fumbles at the 44 yard line. The play did not cost us points on the next Denver drive, but I remember thinking "o crap" Curtis never fumbles. He ended up having a horrid day with less than 20 yards rushing. If we won, I felt real good about taking down Atlanta in the big show.

9. LWC611

LWC611 Member

I can only pick one?!?!?

If that is the case, would be the kneel down call before Brien missed the kick in 2004. A dive play to Lamont Jordan might have given us some positive yardage and would have made for a shorter attempt.

The day we hired Rich Kotite. I know that is not a play, but man was that a mistake.

10. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

The "Fake Spike" intercepted and returned for a TD. I hate Marino. Always will.

11. Beamen

Beamen New Member

You would choose trading a no-gain play for a 2 or 3 yard gain, instead of simply changing the fact that Brien missed the kick?

That's just silly.

12. LWC611

LWC611 Member

I do not think he misses the kick if it is a shorter kick. Since they spot the ball from the line of scrimmage, the kneel down made it a longer kick. I guess I was the only one that cringed when we did the kneel down before the feild goal instead of trying to get positive yardage. But I see your point. If he makes the kick we win. I just think that obrein was not helped by the stupid play call.

#72 LWC611, Jun 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  13. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I agree with you completely, but if you have the ability to change any play, you might as well just change the FG to a make. It's all in how you set up a hypothetical anyway.

14. Beamen

Beamen New Member

That debate has been had on this board time and time again, but my point is, if you have the chance to change one play, why even risk Brien (who missed a bunch of FGs in the weeks leading up to that game, and was anything but a sure thing) missing the kick? Keep the kneel down, and just change the FG from missed to made.. Problem solved.

15. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Since we're talking about ONE play that blew our chances of winning a super bowl, I'd have to go with Brien's kick and the play that injured Vinny in '99.

Both were absolutely excrutiating.

16. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

When Namath tried to tackle a guy running for a TD in a Pre-season game against the Lions and blew his knee out for the year. I think it was '71 or '72.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I felt the same thing reading this thread until someone got the right answer. NYjunc wins the prize, imo.

The correct answer would be the 98 Champ game, in Denver. Someone else mentioned a play in the second quarter over this one, but the Jets were still ahead with about twenty minutes to play. That pass to McCaffery, who was in his first year with the Broncos after having been a Giant for his career up til then, I am convinced was what allowed Denver to win that game. And by losing the Jets lost their best shot at a Super Bowl, and one they would probably have won, since the Mud Bowl in 82. The problem with the Mud Bowl is I can't agree a single play was what led to the loss like the pass to McCaffery in 98.

I also agree the Gastineau sack was awful, but I am not so sure the Jets would have gone on to win the SB in 86.

I disagree more strongly about those who picked the O'Brien FG miss against Pitt since I don't see the Jets winning the Champ game that year, and also because it's mostly Chad Fans who lay the blame for that loss on O'Brien when Chad couldn't lead the team to score more than 3 points all game.

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

One other play was losing Vinny in 99, that was truly awful. I did have high hopes for the team that year, ended in the first half on Opening Day. But in fairness it is not clear the Jets would have made the SB but for that play, since the whole season still had to be played. It did not have the direct connection of such consequence that the McCaffery play had. In fact the McCaffery play only became that much more significant when you realize it was the very next game of record that was the one Vinny went down in. They had a healthy Vinny in Denver, and the Broncos behind with twenty to play. Jets have not been that close since, and before that even in the Mud Bowl they were not that close.

19. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

There's no guarantee the Broncos weren't going to wake up in that game anyway, so while the McCaffery play was huge, I still think losing Vinny for an entire season was a bigger blow to the franchise.

However, if you change the McCaffery play (why not go the whole hog and have it picked off and returned for a TD!) maybe the Jets win the Super Bowl AND Vinny doesn't get hurt in '99 because you've changed the course of history!

If that's the case, though, perhaps those who mention Namath's knee injury in the pre-season have the best idea. It would have changed everything that happened thereafter.

20. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Ed was in his 4th season w/ the Broncos not his first. That was his 1st pro bowl season where he got in ahead of Chrebet but shouldn't have.