Tampa Bay Rays just swept the 1st place Cubs

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by TampaBayJetsFan85, Jun 20, 2008.

1. TampaBayJetsFan85

The Rays are serious this year, sweep of the Chicago Cubs.

Oh how Sweep it is. This is actually the 5th team the Rays have swept all year and the 3rd sweep of a 1st place team.

That Crawford grand slam was amazing, we were going NUTS @ the Trop and man oh man was it great to see those Cub fans leaving the game during the 7 run 7th inning.

14 games above .500, only 1 1/2 games behind Boston for the East, and watch out because Adam Dunn or Xavier Nady may be on their way to the Rays for some minor league prospects

2. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Yeah and the stadium turned into 15,000 in attendance. :wink:

3. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Wow, a sellout?!

4. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

And yet, nobody cares.

5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I think its got to be tough to root for a franchise that, in its ten meagre years of existence, has had to change its uniforms 3 times and its name once.

6. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

As a Cubs fan i was impressed with the rays, although you ran into us on a down turn. The pitching was good, had speed and clutch hitting. I think there was over 30,000 there last night, although 10,000 were probably Cubs fans.

7. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Maybe not - they averaged 32,000 per game for this series, and averaged 29,000 per game for the series just before against the Marlins. Still not overwhelmingly impressive, although capacity is now only 36,000 (it was 45,000 when the [Devil] Rays first started, and was 38,000 last year).

8. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

30,000 people showing up in downtown St. Pete IS impressive.

9. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

They are making strides, a close race to the end with the Sox will do wonders for that club.

10. TampaBayJetsFan85

Yeah, the Fans are starting to come around, its a special time for us fans who are laying down the foundation for future Tampa Bay Fans.

Dont forget... The Yankees, Mets, Cubs, White Sox, and Red Sox all have a fanbase that goes back GENERATIONS, and GENERATIONS... Over 100 Years of the citys and teams beable able to build on its fan support. Just ask your grandparents what they thought of their teams back in the 30's (I bet you would get alot of old school baseball talk) Ever wanted to stop and think about that us Rays fans are enjoying our first ever geneartion of fans? Not even an 11 year old franchise.

Stop and think before your quick to judge, use common sense sometimes when talking about fan attendance. One would ONLY HOPE that the Yankees, Mets, Cubs, White Sox along with the Red Sox would sellout EVERY game, Fans that can go back to over Five 20 year generations along with Citys that have millions and millions of people.

11. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Well, I remember a time when you could see an awful lot of blue when looking around Yankee Stadium during a game, and I'm only 33.

But really, that's not even the point. I think the point is that who really cares? It's the Tampa Bay Rays. This is a New York board. Sure, there's a couple Red Sox fans, but that's about it (at least in the AL). I don't think I've seen another Rays fan on here (that wasn't just rooting for them over the Yankees or Sox).

Did you really expect Yankees and Sox fans to come into this thread and say "Woohoo! Great stuff guys! Keep it up!"?

12. TampaBayJetsFan85

Real baseball fans around american are starting to pay ALOT of attention to the Rays, you shoulda just watched baseball tonight last night, its amazing.

Yankee fans like yourself, who could care less about the Rays, because the Red Sox are in the East may be pretty upset come playoff team when you gotta root for the Rays over the Red Sox. The AL East has NEVER had another team as good as this Rays team over the past 10 years, other than the Red Sox and Yankees.

13. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Correct me if I'm wrong, but over the past 10 years every team in the division has been in first place at this point in the season, except the Rays.

As for rooting for the Rays over the Sox, you're out of your mind. For argument's sake, I'll just assume the Rays get into the playoffs. There's a better chance that the NL will win every remaining interleague game this year than the Rays getting into the ALCS.

And again, who really cares about the Rays?

Sure, I'm paying attention to them, just like I am Arizona. At the same time, I don't particularly give a crap one way or the other.

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Tampa Bay is a retiring home for fans of Northeast Baseball (Yanks, Mets, Sox, etc)

That is why they have no fans.

Good team this year. Hope they make the Playoffs this year as the Division winners. Yanks can have the wild card.

15. jetfaninwisconsin

You pretty much nailed it on the head right there. I tried the past 4 years to talk brewers on here and it nothin happened.

The rays are doing freakin' good right now though. Really rootin' hard for you guys to take the division so ESPN will stop with all the "nation" crap. Give me a break....

16. SameOldJets2008

SameOldJets2008 New Member

In a short series i dont see them doing much

Unless Price is an animal you have one legit ace that you can throw out in Kazmir, other than that i really dont trust your starters enough and you dont have near enough bullpen for the playoffs.

Its a nice story really but in the playoffs if they even make it, they arent going to do anything.

17. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

TBH, I was more upset about Zambrano's injury than dropping a few road interleague games. White Sox got what was coming though.

18. TampaBayJetsFan85

Wow...Could I have been more correct? I seen this coming on June 20th...I just knew the Rays were serious

19. SixFeetDeep

SixFeetDeep Red Hot Robbie Cano

the real question is can you be more of a douche. the answer is no.

20. TampaBayJetsFan85

You've been a douche ever since you found out that I was excited for my Rays while your Yankees were doing nothing special here in 08.

P.S...I hope your rooting for the Red Sox to beat the Rays to upset me...Nothing is better than a Yankee fan rooting for the Red Sox