CB Debate: Jets' Lowery vs. Raiders' Branch

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Mr Electric, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

T branch not playing CB for the Raiders,(not with Raiders depth at CB) but he will play safety. Again Raiders have their safeties FS M huff( playing at his more natural FS should really elevate his game) Ss Gibril wilson . T Branch is nice insurance if one of those safeties get injured. He will make his impact on special teams for the Raiders next season.

Lowery too probably going to play safety too in the NFl. You can talk about his coverage ability all you want , but he dosen't have the speed to play Cb in the NFl. NOw do you think Lowery tackling skills are as good as Branch? Wouldn't you say tackling is very important for a NFL safety. If you think Lowery has a chance to be your number 2 CB, than what does that say about your CB situation.

2. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

But that is the Raiders philosphy. You can't teach speed and athlethism. But you can coach up a player . Raiders have their starting secondary in order. That isn't stopping them in trying to develope guys for the future. LIke John Bowie(For Randy Moss) 5' 11 195 was one of the big east top sprinters. CB Darrick Brown 6'4 200 sub 4.4 another track star with great size.

Raiders play more man to man defense than any team in football ,and a Lowery with his 4.61 speed would never get a sniff from the raiders. (or be very effective)

3. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

lIsten what a guy did in college dosen't mean crap, if he doesn't have the athlethic ability to compete on the next level. All you have to look at is those college QBs that went on to win the Heisman . Didn't even get a sniff from NFl scouts. YEa your a powerhouse team, your WRs might have a big seperation on alot of college Dbs - might put up ridiculous numbers . Try doing that in NFL where the window alot smaller. Your lack of athlethic ability or arm strength -will severly limit your effectiveness.

There is a reason why the NFL invest so much in the Combine.

NOw a player(just say a WR) might have off the chart athlethic abilty, but didn't do anything in college because maybe his QB and Oline situation wasn't great. You tell me that player dosen't have a better chance of making it, than a great college player, with limited athlethic ability.

4. Yes...the combine and general athleticism are important in the nfl.Especially at CB. I've been on record on many occassions that the 2 positions where "workout warriors" pan out more than any other is Corner and 3-4 OLB.

Lowery didn't have a great 40- time at the combine..that is absolutely true. But 2 things...

1. I've read that he was being hampered by an njury at the combine and that hurt his time.And that post combine..he had private workouts w/ several teams in which he posted much better times.

2. Even more important than speed for a corner is Hips. You have to be able to change directions and close on the ball..that gets factored in heavily when you're weighing the term "Athleticism". Lowery has been pegged as having extremely good hips...which obviously had alot to do w/ his ball hawking skills in college

It's actually possible to have good size/speed and not be athletic. Now I think Branch can be a good special teamer and Nickel back in the right scheme. But I don't see him as having the same upside as Lowery..why? lowery has better hips, closing ability and ball skills.

5. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Do you know what is an opinion. ITs okay that people have diffrent opinions, than i do. I make my case why my opinion is right ,and they make there case why their opinion is correct. Its a Football message board. After the season we look at whose opinion was correct and whose was Raiderjeaux.

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I know what an opinion is, but people offer theirs to you and then you tell them they are wrong, give your warped explanation why, and then proceed to tell us how the Raiders players are so much better, and include measurables and 40 times.

You've done that. My lazyness disallows me from finding those posts and giving you evidence.

7. 624

624 Banned

Is this philosophy what makes them so successful recently?

8. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

All IM going to say is what was Lowery three cone drill. That is the drill most NFl people put a high importance on for CBs, than just straight line speed. (for the reason you gave) Lowery could have great hip action, like you say, but if his speed not there, than its not going t0 matter as he won't be able to keep up with NFL speed WRs.
    There is a reason why OLB Thomas Howard is so great in coverage.; Not only does he have the hip action, but he has the speed 4.4 . (even at 240 pounds he looks like a cb in coverage)

How many big time college DBS dropped like a rock due to less than expected 40 times.
    Lowery , He could have been this ball hawking DB in college, and had great closing abitlity, but it might not apply to NFL game. You face some of the big arm Nfl QBs, you don't get much time to react. Even the best instincts can only take you so far in the NFL., if you don't have speed. We will see who becomes the better NFL player- Lowery or Branch.

9. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Better question is which organization has better track record with the CB position. Raiders put so much pressure on their CBs- they play man to man 98% percent of the time. You better believe Raiders would never have touched Lowery.

10. superbowl 69

superbowl 69 New Member

After the season we look at whose opinion was correct and whose was Raiderjeaux. What does this mean? Every answer besides yours is correct?:rofl:Its about time you were aware of reality!

11. 624

624 Banned

That's good news for the Jets

12. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

98%...I doubt that.

13. JetsLookingforDWare

ROTFL @ the idea that the Raiders drafted a guy named John Bowie *just* to cover guys like Moss...thats classic.

14. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

David Bowie would do a better job covering Randy Moss...

15. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Well than that confirms how little you know. Maybe you should do a little more research , before you post. That 98% is a very accurate statement.

16. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Never said that. What I said John BOwie turned out to be the player Raiders got for Randy Moss. Raiders have their CB for Moss- His name is N Asomugha. A real shutdown Cn and not the myth one Revis.

17. GreenMachine

Well, you have been at 98% on your predictions....:wink:

18. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

Ok you can have the better track record with cbs this season as we have the better team record

19. WoolfolksUncle

double post read next note..... maybe this one FADED AWAY

#39 WoolfolksUncle, Jun 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  20. WoolfolksUncle

That is totally Baloneous and Felonious... There are no corners in the league that play man to man 98% of the time, not even the best (Champ Bailey hands down).... Nobody can cover Moss man to man all the time either, check it ... Moss, Owens, and believe it or not Brandon Marshall, who destroyed the raggedy Raiders corners. Why do you even brag about your garbage team Faderjoe... They suck bottom line... Ever since the Cheatriots were allowed to TUCK what your garbage team thought was the next trip to the super bowl into their Cheatriotic resumes the Faders have been Fading :raiders::rofl2: