#21 Miller on comeback trail....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Royal Tee, May 30, 2008.

1. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Jets' Miller on comeback trail from knee injury

By Dennis Waszak Jr., AP Sports Writer
    HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. ? Justin Miller was away from the football field long enough.
    Practice was already finished Thursday, but the New York Jets' cornerback was still doing drills with a few of the rookie defensive backs.

"I feel good, man," Miller said. "I'm excited to be out here playing with these guys again."

That's because it was a rough year for Miller, the Jets' 2005 second-round pick who missed a chunk of time in training camp last summer with a hamstring injury and then blew out his right knee in Week 2 at Baltimore.

"I think it's like any job," the always playful Miller said. "When you don't have a story, I guess that's tough, too. I worked hard and I think everybody around me that supported me helped me work hard."

Miller, now wearing No. 21 in honor of his idol Deion Sanders after beginning his career with No. 22, has practiced with the first-team defense at right cornerback during the last few days of voluntary organized team activities. While coach Eric Mangini said Miller isn't yet 100 percent, he expects him to be by the start of training camp in July.
    "If you've been in this game as long as any of us have," Miller said, "you understand it's always good to be out there playing and being with a bunch of guys you love being around."

After the Jets drafted Darrelle Revis last year, many thought that was a sign that Miller's time with the team was limited. While he has become a Pro Bowl kick returner with his blazing speed, he hasn't been able to lock up a starting job in the secondary. Miller's inconsistent man-to-man coverage skills have been the primary culprit, and he still doesn't have an interception.

"Obviously, Justin is a huge threat on special teams and he's progressed as a defensive back," Mangini said. "I expect that he will keep making progress the way that he is showing."

Miller injured a hamstring in the team's scrimmage at Fordham University and didn't play in any preseason games while recovering. He made it back in time for the regular-season opener against New England, but didn't make it through the first half the following week at Baltimore.

Miller, who led the NFL in 2006 in yards per kickoff return and made the Pro Bowl, injured his right knee during a 22-yard return early in the second quarter of New York's 20-13 loss. He stayed on the turf for several minutes before being helped off the field and taken to the locker room. Miller had torn the anterior cruciate ligament in the knee, ending his season.

Despite being a guy whose livelihood is largely based on his speed - he won the NFL's fastest man competition at the 2007 Pro Bowl - Miller didn't fear for his career.

"Nah, man," he said. "I'm positive about everything. I'm always very optimistic."

One of his first calls was to his mother, Donna Bowman, who was watching on TV when Miller was injured.

"Justin remained pretty optimistic and was upbeat, surprisingly so," said Bowman, a retired Army drill instructor. "He was real excited about his rehab and when people would ask about how he was doing, I'd tell them he was doing just fine. He really took everything in stride."

A little homecooking certainly helped. Bowman and Miller's grandmother, Delma Cottoner, would make frequent trips to New York to keep his spirits high by preparing his favorite meals.

"It's funny because I was a little concerned he was going to get a little fat," Bowman said with a laugh. "He likes chitlins, so when I was home in Atlanta, I had to go to the store, put them on ice and send them to New York so my mother could cook for him."

The free-spirited Miller stayed around the team, and would often zip through the locker room on crutches before practices, razzing his teammates and joking around.

"He was like that when he was growing up, messing with his sister and all," Bowman said. "But that's Justin. He's always the life of the party."

In Miller's absence, Leon Washington took over as the team's kick returner and had a Pro Bowl-caliber season himself. Instead of worrying about his job security, Miller became Washington's biggest fan.

"I voted for him everyday at home on my computer," Miller said. "I voted for him everyday to go to the Pro Bowl, and I was very excited to see him out there being successful."

With players such as David Barrett, Hank Poteat and rookie Dwight Lowery in the mix for the starting right cornerback job, it might be easy for fans to overlook Miller after a year away.

"I don't think they forgot, and I don't even think you forgot because you wouldn't have asked me if you did," he said, flashing a big smile. "Nah, at the end of the day, it's a team game and whoever's on the field and whoever's out there playing, we're going to support them."

The Associated Press
    Posted 4h 23m ago

2. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Lets get it started J-MiL , Time too step up and play alongside Darrelle on sundays. I Expect a big T.C. and Pre-Season for em...

3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

He has the attitude of a winner. I think he could make some noise on D for us this year if the rehab goes as planned...

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Mangini raved about Pouha last year in TC and look at the strides he made as an NT. Mangini has the same feelings about Miller- so I hope the same happens. It'll give us a viable option at the second CB spot.

5. Chadwick I

Chadwick I Member

He's one of the players that I think is a major sleeper. Let's not forget that he was starting last year and looked great in training camp. This year is his time to show what kinda game he has.

6. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

As I've said before, I expect Miller to be the starter opposite Revis. With a little concentration, he can be a great corner. He's got the speed, and he's got the instincts. He just loses his concentration sometimes.

I want him to stop returning kicks though. Kick returns should be for guys who aren't starters. I don't care how good he is on returns, the risk is too high for it to be worth it.

7. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Thankfully, I think Leon proved himself enough in that capacity. I read yesterday in one of the OTA articles that it was Leon, Woodhead, and Lowery (I think) taking most of the kickoff and punt returns, Miller wasn't mentioned once in that capacity.

8. Hofstra Jet

Hofstra Jet Active Member

miller has been absolute trash as a player and person.. hopefully mangini is right about him, but he has been a 15 yard PI penalty everytime it has been thrown in his direction in the past

9. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Yea Mangini said for years that J Vilma and D robertson were good fits for 3-4 too. Must have been gas Mangini was feeling.

10. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Miller Can't stick his shadow! Randy Moss is foaming at the mouth right now!

11. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Was stoked about getting him in the 2nd round after the Nugent debacle, but he just hasn't pulled everything together yet. His speed as we all know is amazing, but as a Corner it's hard to see it because of the constant cuts and routes receivers make on the raw Miller...

I'd be very happy to see him hang onto the job and be solid on the other side since him and Revis are so young.

12. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Miller and Stuckey could solve what in my opinion are our biggest weaknesses, 2nd CB and 3rd WR. I am going to keep my eye on these guys

13. FOURTHANDLONG

If healthy I think Stuckey will be very good.

14. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

So would alot of NFL QBs be happy if J miller hangs on to that 2nd CB position. makes your job alot easier, as you know where your going with the football everytime..

Hey at least J Miller turned out to be a probowl returner.

15. Tight

Tight Active Member

Hes my favorite jet... Thats my dude

16. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

We'll have to see how he plays in order to understand what Mangini and company are talking about relative to Miller's "improvement".

His "deer in the headlights" approach to CB in his early days on the NYJ can't be what they are alluding to.

So just what is it that they see and want to encourage?

As we haven't seen him on the field in a long time, the CS has us at a disadvantage.

17. FOURTHANDLONG

Well he can at least return kicks and punts unlike Robert Gallery the human turnstile!

18. Tballlz63

Tballlz63 Active Member

is it a contract year for miller?

19. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Or they are trying to pump up J Miller confidence. Like they tried with J Vilma and D Robertson and how they really were good fits in 3-4. Didn't fool the fans that long.
    I would expect Jets to be searching the waiver wire for a veteran CB.

20. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

Shouldn't you be out stabbing Chargers fans or something?? Seriously fuck off troll.

I think with our upgraded d-line and some pass rush it should take some pressure off of Miller. He strikes me as one of those guys that thinks too much on the field leading to mistakes.